25 Signs You Might Be A Hardcore Designer

paynomind

25 Reasons You Might Be A Hardcore Graphic/Web Designer

(In no particular order)You?ve almost rear-ended the car in front of you because you were analyzing a font on a billboard.

You get pissed when a free Photoshop brush you download is less than 1000px in size.

You?d rather study the paisley pattern on your girlfriend?s blouse than listen to what she has to say. (Sorry Ladies)

You can use keyboard shortcuts at light speed, blindfolded, but you can?t type a paragraph of text without staring at the keyboard.

You?ve had ?Software Nightmares,? when you?ve been working way too much.

You consider meals interruptions.

You?ve learned your lesson and stopped using the word ?final? in any file name when saving.

You clean your keyboard more often than you wash your car.

You?ve intentionally given up trying to explain your projects to non-designers.

You see CMYK and RGB like Neo sees the Matrix.

You?d rather organize your desktop than your sock drawer.

When you heard that Adobe was acuiring Macromedia, you had a Design Orgasm.

When you look at Album art all you see are grunge Photoshop Brushes. (Then you see the album art a couple minutes later)

You?ve Photoshopped out a watermark for a comp or mock-up.

You?ve actually $paid for a font.

You?ve totally slaughtered a great design concept because the client thinks he/she knows best. (everyone thinks they are a designer)

The amount of words you?ve written with a sharpie labeling burned discs total more than the amount of words you?ve read in novels.

You?ve had to explain to a client that a layered file wasn?t part of the deal.

You?ve kept a ragged concert ticket just so you could scan it.

You?ve nicknamed the OSX spinning wheel. (and not affectionately)

You bookmark a resource more often than you have a fun night out on the town.

You?ve intentionally overbid a project because you can sniff out a bad client from a mile away.

You can?t go to a restaurant without secretly critiquing the menu design.

You have an amazingly huge font collection, and an amazingly short temper.

If you had a penny for every mouse click, you would have been a trillionaire 3 years ago.

You drop something and instead of trying to catch it you think Strg+Z

Actually happened to me once when I was working long hours on a particularly taxing and large project.

Made a mistake, and the first thing that popped to mind was "[CTRL]+Z".

I immediately made the decision to not look at my computer for 24 hours.

25 Reasons You Might Be A Hardcore Graphic/Web Designer

(In no particular order)You?ve almost rear-ended the car in front of you because you were analyzing a font on a billboard. Multiple times, daily

You get pissed when a free Photoshop brush you download is less than 1000px in size. Not really

You?d rather study the paisley pattern on your girlfriend?s blouse than listen to what she has to say. (Sorry Ladies) Ugh....I hate myself

You can use keyboard shortcuts at light speed, blindfolded, but you can?t type a paragraph of text without staring at the keyboard. Hey! I'm a great typist too!

You?ve had ?Software Nightmares,? when you?ve been working way too much. The reoccurring crash during save nightmares.

You consider meals interruptions. I eat lunch at my desk most days.

You?ve learned your lesson and stopped using the word ?final? in any file name when saving. Right, most of my files have "1", "2", "3", etc. after the name.

You clean your keyboard more often than you wash your car. Every single day

You?ve intentionally given up trying to explain your projects to non-designers. Because you NEVER use 5 fonts on a single document, dumbass!

You see CMYK and RGB like Neo sees the Matrix. What about PMS colors?

You?d rather organize your desktop than your sock drawer. If there are more than one column of icons on my desktop, it drives me crazy

When you heard that Adobe was acuiring Macromedia, you had a Design Orgasm. I'm still gushing about it

When you look at Album art all you see are grunge Photoshop Brushes. (Then you see the album art a couple minutes later)

You?ve Photoshopped out a watermark for a comp or mock-up. Guilty

You?ve actually $paid for a font. Too often

You?ve totally slaughtered a great design concept because the client thinks he/she knows best. (everyone thinks they are a designer) And every time it happens, a piece of my soul dies.

The amount of words you?ve written with a sharpie labeling burned discs total more than the amount of words you?ve read in novels. The leaning tower of art files doesn't lie.

You?ve had to explain to a client that a layered file wasn?t part of the deal. That's impossible, the client doesn't know the difference between 72 and 300 dpi, let alone a .psd and a .jpg

You?ve kept a ragged concert ticket just so you could scan it. Or a show flier, or an ad from the paper, or a cool photo from a magazine, or...

You?ve nicknamed the OSX spinning wheel. (and not affectionately) Beach Ball

You bookmark a resource more often than you have a fun night out on the town. Now you're just making me feel bad about myself.

You?ve intentionally overbid a project because you can sniff out a bad client from a mile away. Aren't they all bad? If it weren't for the clients, we'd have the best job ever.

You can?t go to a restaurant without secretly critiquing the menu design. Get out of my head!

You have an amazingly huge font collection, and an amazingly short temper. 7248 fonts (on my home computer).....but yes, I can blow up at the drop of a hat.

If you had a penny for every mouse click, you would have been a trillionaire 3 years ago. No doubt.

You can?t go to a restaurant without secretly critiquing the menu design.

-Just did that at lunch.

You?ve totally slaughtered a great design concept because the client thinks he/she knows best. (everyone thinks they are a designer)

-Actually, I got fired for refusing to. Not smart financially, I know, but I'm young and stupid.

You?ve nicknamed the OSX spinning wheel. (and not affectionately)

-The Wheel of Death. Pretty melodramatic, but come on, that thing IS death.

You?ve almost rear-ended the car in front of you because you were analyzing a font on a billboard.

-Somebody used the Batman Forever/TMNT font on a park bench for their high-speed internet ad. I didn't hit anybody, but I didn't see the light turn green for about a second.

You?ve learned your lesson and stopped using the word ?final? in any file name when saving.

-Nope, not yet. Maybe some day.

You?ve intentionally given up trying to explain your projects to non-designers.

-You know, I think that's a great idea.

You?ve almost rear-ended the car in front of you because you were analyzing a font on a billboard. or a bumper sticker, truck, road sign, lawn sign, or anything print in view

You get pissed when a free Photoshop brush you download is less than 1000px in size. hasn't happened yet

You?d rather study the paisley pattern on your girlfriend?s blouse than listen to what she has to say. I hate paisley

You can use keyboard shortcuts at light speed, blindfolded, but you can?t type a paragraph of text without staring at the keyboard. used to, but I am much better at typing now

You?ve had ?Software Nightmares,? when you?ve been working way too much. yup

You consider meals interruptions. sometimes I forget to eat

You?ve learned your lesson and stopped using the word ?final? in any file name when saving. never use final, but overwrites have happened

You clean your keyboard more often than you wash your car. Nope. i'm a slob

You?ve intentionally given up trying to explain your projects to non-designers. yup

You see CMYK and RGB like Neo sees the Matrix. I see LAB people

You?d rather organize your desktop than your sock drawer. organize?

When you heard that Adobe was acuiring Macromedia, you had a Design Orgasm. something like that...

When you look at Album art all you see are grunge Photoshop Brushes. (Then you see the album art a couple minutes later) yup

You?ve Photoshopped out a watermark for a comp or mock-up. who hasn't?

You?ve actually $paid for a font. pay?

You?ve totally slaughtered a great design concept because the client thinks he/she knows best. (everyone thinks they are a designer) who hasn't?

The amount of words you?ve written with a sharpie labeling burned discs total more than the amount of words you?ve read in novels. my writing is like chicken scratch, even I have a hard time reading my own writing

You?ve had to explain to a client that a layered file wasn?t part of the deal. yup

You?ve kept a ragged concert ticket just so you could scan it. nope...that's what the magic lasso is for

You?ve nicknamed the OSX spinning wheel. (and not affectionately) Spinning Beach Ball of Death

You bookmark a resource more often than you have a fun night out on the town. sigh

You?ve intentionally overbid a project because you can sniff out a bad client from a mile away. i don't design in the real world, so I don't really submit bids

You can?t go to a restaurant without secretly critiquing the menu design. Outback Steakhouse = Berthold Block CE

You have an amazingly huge font collection, and an amazingly short temper. They both put Joel's to shame, until I started on the Paxil :)

If you had a penny for every mouse click, you would have been a trillionaire 3 years ago. clickety clickety bam

You?ve almost rear-ended the car in front of you because you were analyzing a font on a billboard. or a bumper sticker, truck, road sign, lawn sign, or anything print in view...not to mention the lettering on the street signs--and I can't count the number of times that's happened

You get pissed when a free Photoshop brush you download is less than 1000px in size. hasn't happened yet

You?d rather study the paisley pattern on your girlfriend?s blouse than listen to what she has to say. I ain't got no gf, but damn...I could get lost in paisley!

You can use keyboard shortcuts at light speed, blindfolded, but you can?t type a paragraph of text without staring at the keyboard. oh yeah--I can use shortcuts without even FACING the computer...and though I can type pretty quick, I ain't entirely accurate

You?ve had ?Software Nightmares,? when you?ve been working way too much. still living my last one

You consider meals interruptions. uh...what is this "meal" you speak of???

You?ve learned your lesson and stopped using the word ?final? in any file name when saving. This word no longer exists in my vocabulary...neither does the word "new"...cuz there's always something newer out there

You clean your keyboard more often than you wash your car. ehhh...

You?ve intentionally given up trying to explain your projects to non-designers. or anyone else not in the design world

You see CMYK and RGB like Neo sees the Matrix. I can also see aliasing, pixellation, spot and process color builds, too.

You?d rather organize your desktop than your sock drawer. Ummm...

When you heard that Adobe was acuiring Macromedia, you had a Design Orgasm. BUS' A NUT!!!b]

When you look at Album art all you see are grunge Photoshop Brushes. (Then you see the album art a couple minutes later) pretty much...

You?ve Photoshopped out a watermark for a comp or mock-up. guilty...

You?ve actually $paid for a font. What JP said...my 50-something thousand font collection was--ahem"acquired"

You?ve totally slaughtered a great design concept because the client thinks he/she knows best. (everyone thinks they are a designer) Oh my God...and the WORST offenders always seem to be users of Microsoft PUBLISHER...ugh--the insanity!

The amount of words you?ve written with a sharpie labeling burned discs total more than the amount of words you?ve read in novels. I can't remember the last time I READ a novel...

You?ve had to explain to a client that a layered file wasn?t part of the deal. Neither were 72 ppi .jpgs that why expect to come out all clean and beautiful...in POSTER SIZE.

You?ve kept a ragged concert ticket just so you could scan it. can't say that I've done that one

You?ve nicknamed the OSX spinning wheel. (and not affectionately) me and everyone else in my IADT-Pitt class...the spinning wheel of death (amazing everyone sees it as some form of "death"--just another common thread among like-minded folk eh???)

You bookmark a resource more often than you have a fun night out on the town. no comment

You?ve intentionally overbid a project because you can sniff out a bad client from a mile away. I'm not the sales rep...I just make "suggestions" as to what the "quoted pre-press charges" should be (Publisher file = $75 automatically, at least...)

You can?t go to a restaurant without secretly critiquing the menu design. Ruth's Chris Steak House...dishes written in PMS 185 Bank Gothic; dish descriptions written in process black, AGaramond Light Italic, printed on 80# classic laid ivory crest uncoated...

You have an amazingly huge font collection, and an amazingly short temper. Just put the stamp on my forehead now...

If you had a penny for every mouse click, you would have been a trillionaire 3 years ago. Then WHY THE HELL AIN'T I RICH THEN???

You?ve nicknamed the OSX spinning wheel. (and not affectionately) me and everyone else in my IADT-Pitt class...the spinning wheel of death (amazing everyone sees it as some form of "death"--just another common thread among like-minded folk eh???)

Wooo. . . IADT representing! Although the Detroit campus owns all.

Did you graduate from there, or are you going there now? A guy from the Detroit campus was visiting my class just this past Friday, showing us the different things they teach there and everything. It looked like a pretty nice school.

---- sorry to go off topic

I understand why they do it, but it drives me crazy as someone that lived in Detroit the majority of his life (Cass Corridor and the East side, on Warren, between Mack and Moross). The suburbs (especially Oakland County, the worst offender) do everything they can to distance themselves from the city, except when it comes to their identities for marketing purposes.

I'm a junior in college grahpic design major. We'll see where I rank here

(In no particular order)You’ve almost rear-ended the car in front of you because you were analyzing a font on a billboard. Yep, I also almost went in a ditch while bashing a bowling alley's sign

You get pissed when a free Photoshop brush you download is less than 1000px in size. I honestly don't use photoshop that often. I don't even have it on my personal computer. My goal for the summer is to extensively learn photoshop and InDesign, since it seemed to work well with Illustrator

You’d rather study the paisley pattern on your girlfriend’s blouse than listen to what she has to say. (Sorry Ladies) Don't have a girlfriend, due to lack of time/money/game?, but yes, I've done similar things

You can use keyboard shortcuts at light speed, blindfolded, but you can’t type a paragraph of text without staring at the keyboard. I'm actually good at typing. Not perfect, but pretty good.

You’ve had “Software Nightmares,” when you’ve been working way too much. I've had my share of flash/thmb drive nightmares, that's for sure. I've lost entire books tha I'd done in Quark days before finat crits

You consider meals interruptions. I eat at my desk constantly. My keyboard's dusted with Grilled Cheese crackers crumbs

You’ve learned your lesson and stopped using the word “final” in any file name when saving. Not yet, although usually, I noly save with those names when I'm going to print. Usually, I do the whole 1,2,3 system

You clean your keyboard more often than you wash your car. I don't clean either. My car has like 80 gatorade bottles, my keyboard, as I said, has crumbs in it

You’ve intentionally given up trying to explain your projects to non-designers. Yep. I try to "dumb it down" sometimes, but there are just some terms that have to be used

You see CMYK and RGB like Neo sees the Matrix. I wish I could see stuff and just immediately name the Pantone.

You’d rather organize your desktop than your sock drawer. I constantly clean off the desktop. My sock drawer, not so much

When you heard that Adobe was acuiring Macromedia, you had a Design Orgasm. They did what now?

When you look at Album art all you see are grunge Photoshop Brushes. (Then you see the album art a couple minutes later) Again, photoshop isn't my thing...yet

You’ve Photoshopped out a watermark for a comp or mock-up. Yep, I needed a picture of a pizza to make a CD cover(it was for the Fat Boys).

You’ve actually $paid for a font. I did a project on Franklin Gothic, so I picked that up

You’ve totally slaughtered a great design concept because the client thinks he/she knows best. (everyone thinks they are a designer) I haven't dealt with clients as of yet, since i'm still a student

The amount of words you’ve written with a sharpie labeling burned discs total more than the amount of words you’ve read in novels. Prob'ly

You’ve had to explain to a client that a layered file wasn’t part of the deal. Again, no clients yet

You’ve kept a ragged concert ticket just so you could scan it. I actually did a ticket design, so I scanned some tickets to get some ideas

You’ve nicknamed the OSX spinning wheel. (and not affectionately) I don't even know what that is, although I might, and just know it as a different name

You bookmark a resource more often than you have a fun night out on the town. Well, since I'm in college, 21, I don't see that as being true

You’ve intentionally overbid a project because you can sniff out a bad client from a mile away. Again, no clients

You can’t go to a restaurant without secretly critiquing the menu design. Yep, especially recently, since my last logo design project was for a restaurant

You have an amazingly huge font collection, and an amazingly short temper. I wouldn't say amazingly huge(at least not for my font collection)...BA-ZING! :D . I have a moderate temper, although once I actually get a design job and such, I'm sure it'll progress.

If you had a penny for every mouse click, you would have been a trillionaire 3 years ago. I suppose I wouldn't have to work then, would I?

Well, I'd say I'm moderately hardcore? Once I'm actually out of school in a year, I should progress nicely.

Wooo. . . IADT representing! Although the Detroit campus owns all.

Did you graduate from there, or are you going there now? A guy from the Detroit campus was visiting my class just this past Friday, showing us the different things they teach there and everything. It looked like a pretty nice school.

---- sorry to go off topic

Mr "Pistons"...get at me via PM. Not to toot my own horn, but--ah screw it--I am a LIVING, BREATHING, IADT SUCCESS STORY! Offically walked and got my degree signed, sealed, and delivered this past Sunday. (And now they want me back as an instructor or admissions rep...)

I can tell you all of what you think you might wanna know...but then, I also know nothing about the Detroit school. (Didn't even know there WAS a Detroit school until about four months ago.)

I just HAD to do it...

You?ve almost rear-ended the car in front of you because you were analyzing a font on a billboard. Don't drive much, but I do it all the time when I'm in any car, and those in the car with me get distracted.

You get pissed when a free Photoshop brush you download is less than 1000px in size. Don't use photoshop much for that, although I've downloaded a good share of brushes.

You?d rather study the paisley pattern on your girlfriend?s blouse than listen to what she has to say. More along the lines of insane fonts on the shirt.

You can use keyboard shortcuts at light speed, blindfolded, but you can?t type a paragraph of text without staring at the keyboard. I can do both blindfolded... 80-120 WPM

You?ve had ?Software Nightmares,? when you?ve been working way too much. Several crash nightmares

You consider meals interruptions. I eat at my desk, but I don't eat too often.

You?ve learned your lesson and stopped using the word ?final? in any file name when saving. Long time ago. The number system works fine.

You clean your keyboard more often than you wash your car. I think I've cleaned my keyboard like twice ever. That reminds me, I need to throw in in the dishwasher.

You?ve intentionally given up trying to explain your projects to non-designers. With everyone but my little brother, but that's because he wants to learn.

You see CMYK and RGB like Neo sees the Matrix. Not entirely, but getting there.

You?d rather organize your desktop than your sock drawer. My desktop is perfect, I hate stray icons, I have the quick launch on the left to make it easier. Also, I don't have a sock drawer.

When you heard that Adobe was acuiring Macromedia, you had a Design Orgasm. OMG, yes. Especially since I know how to use Authorware.

When you look at Album art all you see are grunge Photoshop Brushes. (Then you see the album art a couple minutes later) Drives ya crazy, doesn't it?

You?ve Photoshopped out a watermark for a comp or mock-up. One word... GETTY!

You?ve actually $paid for a font. Once

You?ve totally slaughtered a great design concept because the client thinks he/she knows best. (everyone thinks they are a designer) Yes, very upsetting, but I do save the good designs.

The amount of words you?ve written with a sharpie labeling burned discs total more than the amount of words you?ve read in novels. Definately

You?ve had to explain to a client that a layered file wasn?t part of the deal. Haven't dealt with layered files yet, just Illustrator vector files.

You?ve kept a ragged concert ticket just so you could scan it. I keep concert/movie/sporting event tickets anyway, they do come in handy as I've scanned at least one of each.

You?ve nicknamed the OSX spinning wheel. (and not affectionately) I can't remember what that is, but if it's like the stupid Windows hourglass, then no, but I do want to throw the monitor (or laptop) through a window when it stays up for more than 5 seconds.

You bookmark a resource more often than you have a fun night out on the town. I'd rather not say.

You?ve intentionally overbid a project because you can sniff out a bad client from a mile away. Yes I have, and once the guy still wouldn't leave me alone, he kept trying to get me to do a design for him for cheap.

You can?t go to a restaurant without secretly critiquing the menu design. Always!

You have an amazingly huge font collection, and an amazingly short temper. So many fonts, I can't install them all and I can't get a font manager program to work for some odd reason. Also, anger management has helped me control the temper, sometimes.

If you had a penny for every mouse click, you would have been a trillionaire 3 years ago Yup, three years ago sounds about right.

Archived