Steve Spurrier Speaks Up

No there is no racist connection to this flag that was a PC creation.

It wasn't meant to have one, but it's developed one, don't you think? The rebel flag is a sign of hate, and I get irritated with seeing it in the South, and disgusted when I see it in the North.

What's the worst? The PC Police, Cheap Trick's "Dream Police," or Leonard Cohen's "Jazz Police"?

Let us not forget these guys:

220px-Thepolice2007.jpg

I'm especially wary of our Canadian patrolmen to the North.

09.jpg

I agree w/ Tank,on this,BTW as y'all already know i'm black and the flag doesn't bother me one bit.Because the community has bigger issues to worry about IMO.I'll leave it @ that :D

Absolutely agree with you on that.

That's one opinion, and technically, yes, we all have bigger things to worry about than a flag. However, that doesn't mean I can't personally be offended that a symbol of treason and hate is state-sponsored and proudly displayed. And I am personally offended. So there.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gitlin, those were the Quebecers! They're not Mounties. All you needed to do was listen to their self-performed theme song, "We're Not The Mounties."

Backstory for those not in the know: there used to be a wrestler in the WWF called The Mountie. His character was just that. First he had generic nature film music, but then he changed it to a rousing anthem that he sung, which went, AND I CAN DO THIS FROM MEMORY,

I'm The Mountie!

I'm handsome, I'm brave, I'm strong.

I'm The Mountie!

And I enforce the law.

You can try to run,

But you will never hide!

Because the Mountie,

Always gets his man!

Eventually, Jacques got a tag-team partner named Pierre, but the Royal Canadian Mounted Police sued the WWF for impersonating a police officer and misrepresenting the RMCP. (They did this to the Vancouver Grizzlies. Litigious bunch of hosers, eh.) So the theme song had to be revised, to:

We're Not The Mounties!

I'm handsome, I'm brave, I'm strong.

We're Not The Mounties!

We don't enforce the law.

You can try to run,

But you will never hide!

We're Not The Mounties!

We always get our man!

They no longer called themselves Mounties, they were now known as The Quebecers, BUT THEY STILL DRESSED LIKE MOUNTIES. Man. The WWF was so subversive and just plain goofy in 1994. Now it's dull.

EDIT: and I forgot all about The Fabulous Rougeau Brothers, where they proclaimed that they loved America and everything about it and waved little four-inch American flags, but the catch was that they were mocking Americans the whole time, even though it was never explicitly mentioned. That's more high-concept than anything they've done in years now.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It should not be above the capitol but I don't see the issue with in on the burial ground, next thing you will be removing it from the General Lee in the next Dukes of Hazzard movie should we be put through such torture they make another one.

Aren't you supposed to be staying out of political threads?

Um, no. It wasn't. The Confederate battle flag/naval jack was adopted as a symbol by the KKK during the Civil Rights movement in the late 1950's/1960's. Until then the KKK had used their own banner as well as the American flag.

Then during the Civil Rights movement the KKK adopted the CSA battle flag and naval jack as banners of their racist ideology. Since then the CSA battle flag and naval jack have had a racist taint to them.

So no Tank, the PC police didn't turn the CSA battle flag/naval jack into a racist symbol, the KKK did.

You know the swastika was originally a symbol of good luck... so should the German parliament buildings still fly the Nazi flag?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Even one hundred and some odd years later this debate about a flag is still popping up. As a Civil War buff myself I don't feel that the Confederate flag is a symbol of hate, But I do feel that in this day in age its wrong.

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

OK guys - some are missing the point.

The confederate flag is symbolized with 'slavery'

As far as flying the Confederate flag - anyform, that brings up a lot of pain for many Americans.

I see Tanks' view about the Historical Battle Grounds. Even here in Missouri when they re-enact the Battle at Lexington (Missouri) a battle fought about an hour East of KC, they re-enactors fly the Confederate Flag.

Having grown up in Texas, some of my friends/family associate the flag with "the South" but are not racist or pro-slavery/south shall rise again crap. It's an association with where they are from.

Today, IMO, the flag should not fly over STATE/GOVERMENT property.

They must steer clear and send a Supportive message that it won't support that era, even though it is apart of our history.

My German family members hate the swastika - they are Americans.

Unfortantely there are toooo many hate symbols - no matter what race or religion - the State/Government has a right to represent all people not a select few.

Re-enactment groups are not government associated and their purpose is historical. When they make a movie, does that mean they should not fly the flag of the Third Reich? Again - different purpose.

The General Lee (car-Dukes of Hazard) - again a symbol of that era. Come on guys, when did they make that TV show??? During a time that it wasn't cool to be politically correct.

There is no easy answer - they are a part of our history, not a proud time but still part of who we are. I agree with Steve Spurrier totally.

The biggots need to move out, perferably to the Middle East or somewhere where they'll fall off the face of the planet (friggin' low lifes)

How is this country(s) ever going to move past the racism and hatered if we don't move forward and get our priorities straight.

Damd it people, we're Americans & Canadians - Black, White, Red, Yellow, Tan - color does not matter - it's our character that matters.

I repect you all -

KCScout76

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

The General Lee (car-Dukes of Hazard) - again a symbol of that era. Come on guys, when did they make that TV show??? During a time that it wasn't cool to be politically correct.

KCScout76

The good ole days when SNL was funny as hell and people were not easily offended

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

"The good ole days when SNL was funny as hell and people were not easily offended"

Amen Brother Tank - loved that show, didn't think it offended anyone.

Those were the days. World is changing everyday.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

It wasn't meant to have one, but it's developed one, don't you think? The rebel flag is a sign of hate, and I get irritated with seeing it in the South, and disgusted when I see it in the North.

Exactly. Regardless of what it was originally meant to represent, it's become a symbol of racism. So if they need a flag to remember those who fought for the CSA then they should use the "stars and bars" fag, seeing as it has less of a racist connection then the battle flag or naval jack.

Racism is wrong, but you can go about gay-bashing? You bigot! :P

You know the swastika was originally a symbol of good luck...

It still is. Last year, I received a thank-you card from some Hindu friends, and the card had little golden swastikas on it.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

"The good ole days when SNL was funny as hell and people were not easily offended"

Its not changing for the better, the Imus :censored: divided people it didn't unite people, just by going oh well once and a while and not taking stuff so seriously could go a long way sometimes.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Its not changing for the better, the Imus :censored: divided people it didn't unite people, just by going oh well once and a while and not taking stuff so seriously could go a long way sometimes.

Let's put that to practice: Rush Limbaugh is a big fat idiot who should be taken off the air immediately so no one can ever listen to him ever, ever again. Ditto Sean Hannity, Bill O'Reilly, Neil Boortz and every other white, Christian male who is to the political right of me. Also, the government should remove all fast food restaurants from the world so we can all be healthier. Finally, we should not be allowed to own cars anymore. Everyone should be forced to either walk or use public transportation -- no exceptions.

And to put this on topic, kinda, we should eliminate all sports leagues. All they do is make people feel inferior and that's bad.

What do you say?

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

That would be the Communist Utopia you dream of dsgitlin.

Side Note: Neil Bortz sent me Sports E-Cyclopedia correction on the Falcons page once

Oh and Gitlin Fidel Castro is to the right of you.

ecyclopedia.gif

champssigtank.png

Not gonna edit anything out, and I'm not gonna close the thread yet.

But this has gone from a thread that had a lot of politics mixed in already to one where the original topic is being ignored, non-specific politics are being argued, and it's getting personal.

Get it back on topic or this thread is done.

You know the swastika was originally a symbol of good luck... so should the German parliament buildings still fly the Nazi flag?

It isn't the same swastika. The Nazi swastika was in a clockwise fashion and was offset virtually always at a 45° angle (The most visible deviation from that was Hitler's personal standard). On the other hand, Eastern swastikas are set in a counter-clockwise fashion and aren't normally offset.

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

It isn't the same swastika. The Nazi swastika was in a clockwise fashion and was offset virtually always at a 45° angle (The most visible deviation from that was Hitler's personal standard). On the other hand, Eastern swastikas are set in a counter-clockwise fashion and aren't normally offset.

That would be correct, the Nazi swastika is set at a 45-degree angle. The Eastern swastikas are not at an angle and are configured in both clockwise and counter-clockwise.

I just found out, there's a town in Northern Ontario called Swastika.

So, anyways, back to Spurrier. I just wonder how much weight he has on the issue. He is not a native South Carolinan, he's a Floridian, and even though he's been through the south a lot, has he (or the rest of us for that matter) surrounded himself amongst the people in the debate enough to make his conclusion.

I saw, I came, I left.

Oh, just wonderful: http://www.thestate.com/188/story/36411.html

Steve Spurrier does not want to be a politician.

But the USC football coach believes the state would be a better place to live if the Confederate battle flag were removed from the State House grounds.

Spurrier brought up the flag issue Friday while accepting a leadership award from City Year at the service group?s Ripples of Hope banquet at the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center.

Spurrier said Saturday that he believed he was in an appropriate setting to voice his opinion.

?It would make us a more progressive, better state, I think, if the flag was removed. But I?m not going to go on any big campaign to have it removed. That?s not my position,? Spurrier said in an interview with The State. ?But if anyone were to ask me, that would certainly be my position. And I think everyone in there, it was their position, too.?

Spurrier said it was ?embarrassing? last year when someone waved a Confederate battle flag behind the set of ESPN?s ?GameDay? before the Gamecocks? home game against Tennessee.

?Some clown or some dude was waving that big ol? Confederate flag right behind them about the whole time they were on,? Spurrier said.

The 61-year-old Spurrier, who grew up in east Tennessee, said he did not know anyone in South Carolina who was in favor of flying the flag, ?but I guess there?s a lot out there somewhere.?

Don Gordon is one of them.

Gordon, a state officer with the Sons of Confederate Veterans, said Spurrier?s call for the removal of the flag was ?the moral equivalent of calling our ancestors ?nappy-headed hos.??

Oh, just wonderful: http://www.thestate.com/188/story/36411.html

Steve Spurrier does not want to be a politician.

But the USC football coach believes the state would be a better place to live if the Confederate battle flag were removed from the State House grounds.

Spurrier brought up the flag issue Friday while accepting a leadership award from City Year at the service group?s Ripples of Hope banquet at the Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center.

Spurrier said Saturday that he believed he was in an appropriate setting to voice his opinion.

?It would make us a more progressive, better state, I think, if the flag was removed. But I?m not going to go on any big campaign to have it removed. That?s not my position,? Spurrier said in an interview with The State. ?But if anyone were to ask me, that would certainly be my position. And I think everyone in there, it was their position, too.?

Spurrier said it was ?embarrassing? last year when someone waved a Confederate battle flag behind the set of ESPN?s ?GameDay? before the Gamecocks? home game against Tennessee.

?Some clown or some dude was waving that big ol? Confederate flag right behind them about the whole time they were on,? Spurrier said.

The 61-year-old Spurrier, who grew up in east Tennessee, said he did not know anyone in South Carolina who was in favor of flying the flag, ?but I guess there?s a lot out there somewhere.?

Don Gordon is one of them.

Gordon, a state officer with the Sons of Confederate Veterans, said Spurrier?s call for the removal of the flag was ?the moral equivalent of calling our ancestors ?nappy-headed hos.??

You expect logical thought from a guy stuck in the 1860's?

Archived