Texas Rangers concept...

mania

(the beginning of a series? I dunno. Maybe :))

Ok. The first thing, in redoing the Rangers, is I really didn't like just how much black was in the uniform, or the complications. So I simplified it all. Black, as far as I remember, is completely dropped. Also, in wanting to tie together the current look and the early 90s look I grew up on, there were some differences in the colors of red and blue.. so I went back to the lighter red and blue from the Nolan Ryan days on everything.

The full time hat would be the current "road" hat, although it's never really worn as such. I've always preferred the look to their "home hats", which have the white T with red shadows.

reghat.png

For the homes, I went back to the Rangers script. I dropped the drop shadow on the numbers, as well as the grey. I added the Rangers secondary circle to the sleeve, but for the most part tried to keep things fairly simple and clean.

rangershome.png

For the roads, currently, they have outside of the blue, red, white, and drop shadowing. Making it much more simple, I dropped it to just red and blue. I kept the same sleeve patches as the homes to give it some consistency.

rangersaway.png

And finally, although I definitely think I'll work on some other alternate or two, maybe a vest even for this concept before I'm done... here is the "slump buster" alternate. The only times the Rangers have ever made it to the playoffs, their predominant color has been red. They've since just about eliminated red from the color scheme altogether. While I'd hate for this jersey to be worn often, and that's as a Rangers fan, I could see it being something to bring out when they've been on a losing streak, and maybe blind the opponent with some ketchup power.

rangersred.png

I think having something on both sleeves makes it look too busy. Drop one logo or the other or both and you have a tight concept.

P.S. I've always wanted the Rangers to go back to that cursive script.....

great idea, bruschimania

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

I love everything but the red jersey, I would definetely make it blue. The braves and angels failures with red alternates have made me hate red baseball jerseys. Very nice design though.

BTW The Texas script looks a lot like the Angels. Who copied who?

Add an inner white line from the team names for both the home and aways and like someone said make the alt blue and the package should good (I second the support of the rangers cursive).

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

I love everything but the red jersey, I would definetely make it blue. The braves and angels failures with red alternates have made me hate red baseball jerseys. Very nice design though.

Texas had it first. The changeover came in 1995 when the Rangers opened the Ballpark in Arlington. The Angels change came when Disney sold the team off around 2000 or 2001 (I forget which).

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Although I loved the Rangers script, I honestly believe the Rangers have one of the nicest sets of uniforms today. I love the white T on the blue hat and the blue jersey. Although they went overkill with the addition of 2 vests, that home vest with the blue sleeves, blue socks (with the pant legs hiked up especially), and blue hat is pure beauty.

All in all, good but not spectacular - and I wouldn't trade in what they have now for this.

1. As mentioned by others, the double patches is overkill. One patch is more than enough.

2. The current wordmark is (relatively) unique. The "Rangers" script, in royal/white with red trim, screams "Dodgers ripoffs", especially when paired with royal caps and no piping around the buttons. It looked good for a team trying to establish credibility in the '80s, but not so much now.

3. I like your cap logo... just shrink it a little bit.

4. Remove the piping tracelines from the concept if you're not going to add piping around the button area.

5. You'd be better off going with a royal alt. A red jersey will look horrible paired with royal caps and socks.

6. On the red alt, you ought to think about offsetting the blue trim on the sleeves with some white. Royal and red are both strong primary colors, and when juxtaposed the way you have them with no effective barrier between them, it gives the look a distracting hazy look to it, almost 3-D but not in a good way.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to rain on anybody's parade but isn't this "concept" simply a combination of Rangers uniform elements through the years? There's nothing new here that I can see except maybe the alt and that the home jersey lacks numbers on the front.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Texas had it first. The changeover came in 1995 when the Rangers opened the Ballpark in Arlington. The Angels change came when Disney sold the team off around 2000 or 2001 (I forget which).

Well, Disney sold in 2003. Also, the Angels redesign came for the 2002 season, but it was really sort of an update of the old California Angels uniforms before the Periwinkle of Doom, which also had red Western scripts.

Never forget.

Just in general.

It looks to me like on the cap, the "T" logo still has a square around it from where you pasted it onto the hat. It's very very dim but it looks like there is a thin gray square film where it should be all clear blue.

Is anyone else seeing that?

Aside from that, I like what you've done.

While it sounds like some people don't really like the red jersey I love it, but I feel that it should have a name plate on the back. I always felt nameless jerseys are reserved for the Yankees.

Hmmm. Not a fan.

On the plus side, eliminating black is a great move. I can't even tell by looking at your concept that there's anything "missing" from the current unis with regard to where the black used to be. So well done, and nice proof of how unnecessary the black is.

Also, I love the shade of blue you're using. Another good step.

I'm not digging the home script. Yeah, it's what they wore back when Nolan Ryan pitched for them; I was a huge Nolan Ryan fan as a kid and I have family ties to the founder of the Rangers and so I loved the Rangers jersey when I was a young 'un. But that doesn't make it a particularly good script. It's not. The current script conveys the idea of Texas-ness a lot more effectively than the old script, which could just as easily say "Dodgers" or "Royals." That style of script is the baseball uniform equivalent of a white box on the grocery store shelf with black stencil letters that read, "Breakfast Cereal." The Dodgers can pull it off, barely, thanks to the force of tradition. The Rangers? Not so much.

On the cap, I just don't think the red T has enough contrast and visibility from the blue cap. Plus, if we're going to wallow in nostalgia for the days of Nolan Ryan, then this really ought to have a white T anyway, right? Aside from the fact that the white T has much better visibility, and also a more natural resemblance to the Texas flag.

20082614447.png

Your opinion is totally valid. I simply don't agree. The Rangers have had some really boringly ugly unis for a long time and this script they had in the late 80s-early 90s was the best. Worst part of that old uni was the boring T on the cap/helmet. The new T is much better and I'm all for keeping that. I like this concept a lot though I'd prefer a blue alternate vs red.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Plus, if we're going to wallow in nostalgia for the days of Nolan Ryan, then this really ought to have a white T anyway, right?

lopersportsxv5.jpg

Alright, threw up some minor alterations.

These included

- dropping one of the sleeve patches(the circle one, as this was pretty much unanimous)

- adding arched nameplates

- changed the red jersey to a blue.

- I also graphically cleaned up the hat and made the logo smaller, although now it looks too small.

I wanted to keep the number off the front of the home jersey, even though it's slanted, just to create more of a uniform look between homes and aways. With the alts, I wanted things different, which gave me the freedom to put the number on the front, as well as leave off the name on the back.

reghat2.png

rangershome2.png

rangersaway2.png

rangersblue.png

(the beginning of a series? I dunno. Maybe :))

Ok. The first thing, in redoing the Rangers, is I really didn't like just how much black was in the uniform, or the complications. So I simplified it all. Black, as far as I remember, is completely dropped. Also, in wanting to tie together the current look and the early 90s look I grew up on, there were some differences in the colors of red and blue.. so I went back to the lighter red and blue from the Nolan Ryan days on everything.

The full time hat would be the current "road" hat, although it's never really worn as such. I've always preferred the look to their "home hats", which have the white T with red shadows.

reghat.png

For the homes, I went back to the Rangers script. I dropped the drop shadow on the numbers, as well as the grey. I added the Rangers secondary circle to the sleeve, but for the most part tried to keep things fairly simple and clean.

rangershome.png

For the roads, currently, they have outside of the blue, red, white, and drop shadowing. Making it much more simple, I dropped it to just red and blue. I kept the same sleeve patches as the homes to give it some consistency.

rangersaway.png

And finally, although I definitely think I'll work on some other alternate or two, maybe a vest even for this concept before I'm done... here is the "slump buster" alternate. The only times the Rangers have ever made it to the playoffs, their predominant color has been red. They've since just about eliminated red from the color scheme altogether. While I'd hate for this jersey to be worn often, and that's as a Rangers fan, I could see it being something to bring out when they've been on a losing streak, and maybe blind the opponent with some ketchup power.

rangersred.png

Really like the uniforms. As for the hats, I would still go with the current hat as the game but add an alternate that has a red visor. Ironically, the Rangers were their most successful when red was the primary color.

Archived