Yankees Jackets

Proc

I've noticed the Yankees have been wearing snap-up, satin (Starter-like) jackets while the rest of the league has been wearing the Majestic jackets that zip up.

Are the Yankees previewing a league-wide return to the old school style satin jackets?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Yankees do whatever the hell they want.

Damn straight! The Yankees have worn the same jacket (with some minor changes) since the 1950s. Long live satin jackets!

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

I know they get fined a little bit for this kind of stuff, but I would fine 'em until they bled. This business of "we're better than the league, we're above league rules" is typical Yankee$ arrogant bulls**t, and needs to be stopped.

Nice pitching staff they've got this year, though. Might have a problem purchasing this years AL East pennant with that lot!

I know they get fined a little bit for this kind of stuff, but I would fine 'em until they bled. This business of "we're better than the league, we're above league rules" is typical Yankee$ arrogant bulls**t, and needs to be stopped.

Why?

Other than your dislike for the team, can you give any reason why a club shouldn't be allowed a little room to set their own aesthetic?

Shall we force the Red Sox to put numbers on the backs of their home jerseys?

Shall we force the Angels to wear the ugly 2007 BP caps?

Shall we force the Padres to take a design class?

Shall we force the Mets to ditch the black?

Wait a tick, I could actually go for that last one.... :P

Nice pitching staff they've got this year, though. Might have a problem purchasing this years AL East pennant with that lot!

EDIT: Stupidity on my part: saw orange #s, didn't take time to actually read them. Either way, I don't see how the Yankees pitching staff is related to the topic of this thread. Second of all, don't be such a homer.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

I remember back in 1997 the plan was to bring back the historically accurate red backdrop to the yankee script on the satin jackets, which in my opinion look fantastic.

Out of superstition (winning the '96 series) Joe Torre nixed the idea. The red has never made it into the dugout gear, BUT can be purchased. I actually saw someone in a crowd shot earlier this season wearing the red-accented jacket.

It is an extremely classy look and would be a great connection to the glory days of the '40's and '50's.

The Yankees would be the only team to do whatever they want, which is BS. But at the same time it' nice to see a team fight this cookie cutter feel to some of this MLB stuff, although they gave in to wearing the new BP gear. I would like to see all teams design their own jackets, BP gear. Every team wearing the same stuff sucks.

I remember back in 1997 the plan was to bring back the historically accurate red backdrop to the yankee script on the satin jackets, which in my opinion look fantastic.

Out of superstition (winning the '96 series) Joe Torre nixed the idea. The red has never made it into the dugout gear, BUT can be purchased. I actually saw someone in a crowd shot earlier this season wearing the red-accented jacket.

It is an extremely classy look and would be a great connection to the glory days of the '40's and '50's.

Your memory is a bit off, I think. It was a little later than that, and the jackets were worn in games.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/51546042.j...F6F349291316ED7

Caption:

NEW YORK, UNITED STATES: New York Yankees pitching coach Mel Stottlemyre (L) and team manager Joe Torre walk off the field 12 April 2000 after the team's 8-6 victory over the Texas Rangers 8-6 in New York. Stottlemyre, who has began treatment for bone marrow cancer Tuesday, made the season opener on restricted duty. (ELECTRONIC IMAGE) AFP PHOTO/Henny Ray ABRAMS (Photo credit should read HENNY RAY ABRAMS/AFP/Getty Images)

Now, the Yanks didn't wear those jackets all season long (by the Series they were back to the classic navy and white), but they wore them for at least Opening Day.

Why?

Other than your dislike for the team, can you give any reason why a club shouldn't be allowed a little room to set their own aesthetic?

Everything is league-wide now, it's kinda boring... BP jerseys, BP caps, jackets... and especially the websites, very blah.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Despite hating the Yankees, they are a team that gets it right here. I have always liked that they resisted this change. The old school satin jackets are classic, I bought a Mets one on eBay last year and its infinitely nicer than the current designs.

MLB needs to stop forcing these changes every year or two to sell more gear. This need to constantly release new designs leads to ridiculous things like the stretch panel on the new BP caps and logo patches on the wrists of the current dugout jackets rather than on the upper sleeves. Not to mention some of the ridiculous piping they put on some of these jackets. They're "uniforms" because each team is supposed to be uniform within itself not to the entire league.

mets.png

YANKS = smarter than the rest of 'em.

The clean satin jackets they use sure beat the hell out of the colorrific b.s. the other teams wear like the templates that they are.

In this case, the Yanks are absolutely right. Screw the template jackets that everyone else are wearing.

I've seen the satin jacket for sale for a few other teams, but the Yanks are the only ones who were them in the games. And they wear the other Majestic jackets too, so I don't see the big deal. It's a good look. And no tevery team wears the same thing necessarily. In 2005, Majestic had the leather and wool "letterman-style" jackets for some of the playoff teams, but not all of them. The White Sox wore them in the WS, the Astros didn't.

And the whole "The Yankees do what they want" thing is a little overblown. They can't just do whatever. They, and their fans, think they can, but they're wearing the new BP caps and jerseys with the piping, so there you go. And remember when the Yanks put up that sign during Spring Training last year apologizing for the missing players (due to the WBC) and basically belittling the event? Bud and MLB were on them hard and fast over it. That sign never appeared again and Big George sort of apologized for the sign.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Archived