Yankees Jackets

Proc

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have my dad's old satin Dodger jacket, that thing's awesome. I've been wearing that thing to night games since I was five (It looked like a ballgown on me :D )

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

I know they get fined a little bit for this kind of stuff, but I would fine 'em until they bled. This business of "we're better than the league, we're above league rules" is typical Yankee$ arrogant bulls**t, and needs to be stopped.

Why?

Other than your dislike for the team, can you give any reason why a club shouldn't be allowed a little room to set their own aesthetic?

So I assume you wouldn't have a problem should an other team decide to follow the Yankees and adopt satin jackets as well?

why a club shouldn't be allowed a little room to set their own aesthetic?

Wait, aren't you the one that doesn't like alternates and the tan Padres road uniforms because they don't conform to traditional baseball styling?

For the record, I agree with you. Teams should be allowed a little room to their own aesthetic, and that includes the Yankees (and any other team) being allowed to wear traditional satin jackets if they want to. That also means, however, that you can't condemn alternates and non-grey road uniforms for not conforming to baseball tradition of white at home/grey on the road.

No harm meant, just trying to keep you honest :P

I know they get fined a little bit for this kind of stuff, but I would fine 'em until they bled. This business of "we're better than the league, we're above league rules" is typical Yankee$ arrogant bulls**t, and needs to be stopped.

Why?

Other than your dislike for the team, can you give any reason why a club shouldn't be allowed a little room to set their own aesthetic?

Shall we force the Red Sox to put numbers on the backs of their home jerseys?

Shall we force the Angels to wear the ugly 2007 BP caps?

Shall we force the Padres to take a design class?

Shall we force the Mets to ditch the black?

Wait a tick, I could actually go for that last one.... :P

If the league requires all teams to have the mfr mark on the sleeves of their jerseys, then the Yankee$ should have the mfr mark on the sleeves of their jerseys. If the American League has a rule requiring names on the backs of the road jerseys, the Yankee$ should have names on the backs of their road jerseys. If the other 29 teams in MLB are required to wear jackets from the current template, then the Yankee$ should be required to wear jackets from the current template.

To answer your other questions:

Already done that. If the AL doesn't require names on the home jerseys, then no names for the Sox if they don't want em.

Yes

Yes

No

Why?

So I assume you wouldn't have a problem should an other team decide to follow the Yankees and adopt satin jackets as well?

No, not at all. I prefer the styling of the satin jackets (although I personally wouldn't wear the balloony things).

why a club shouldn't be allowed a little room to set their own aesthetic?

Wait, aren't you the one that doesn't like alternates and the tan Padres road uniforms because they don't conform to traditional baseball styling?

For the record, I agree with you. Teams should be allowed a little room to their own aesthetic, and that includes the Yankees (and any other team) being allowed to wear traditional satin jackets if they want to. That also means, however, that you can't condemn alternates and non-grey road uniforms for not conforming to baseball tradition of white at home/grey on the road.

I think you have me confused with somebody else.

Not to derail this thread into an off-topic exploration of my own aesthetic, but since you raise it....

I don't like the Padres' road uniforms. No secret there. It's also no secret that I don't like the Padres' road uniforms because they're ugly. I have advocated several times (including the recent thread, to which I think you're referring) that they return to something based upon their original 1969 road uniforms.

Which were... wait for it... tan.

I have also voiced my support for a return to the powder blue roads for the Royals, and when the Expos were looking for a new home a couple years ago I posted a Brooklyn Atlantic concept in which I nicknamed the new club the "Tans" not only because it was sort of short for Atlantic but also because the team colors were navy and tan, with tan road uniforms.

I will admit that I'm not a big fan of wild baseball uniforms, only because baseball is the most traditional of American sports. Its heritage is one of its most profound strengths, and for that reason I don't like pushing the design envelope on the diamond.

Not to say that I'm against more radical designs per se - I love the gold and black Wizards' alt (think it's one of the best NBA uniforms around), and my love for the new Milwaukee Admirals logo has brought me a fair amount of derision.

So yes, I am afraid that you have confused me with somebody else.

No harm meant, just trying to keep you honest :P

Thanks for the effort, but I'm already honest as Abe. :unclesam:

Nice pitching staff they've got this year, though. Might have a problem purchasing this years AL East pennant with that lot!

Wait a minute, so you're saying that you're a Mets fan and you also harbor ill will towards the Yankees?!?!? :shocked:

And c'mon, pitching staff? Should a fan of a team that has John Maine, Oliver Perez and Ambiorix Burgos on it really be talking about pitching?

Wait a minute, yourself...where did you get the idea that I'm a METS fan??? I harbor ill will towards the Yankee$ because they're a blight on baseball, and because I'm an Orioles fan. <_<

So pitching staff? Yeah, baby, with Bedard, Cabrera and Loewen here, and Olson and Penn on the way...and a smokin' hot bullpen, I can talk pitching staff! :D

I harbor ill will towards the Yankee$ because they're a blight on baseball, and because I'm an Orioles fan. <_<

Fair enough, but you have to separate your love for the team from your appreciation of design. Blind homerism isn't very conducive to conversations (not to mention that the Orioles aren't exactly a stranger to high payrolls).

I'm a Brewers fan, and hate their 2000-2007 uniforms with a passion. I've loved the Packers for thirty years, but even I can admit that the Bears have some sharp-looking uniforms (ugly highway-worker orange aside).

Wait a minute, yourself...where did you get the idea that I'm a METS fan??? I harbor ill will towards the Yankee$ because they're a blight on baseball, and because I'm an Orioles fan. <_<

So pitching staff? Yeah, baby, with Bedard, Cabrera and Loewen here, and Olson and Penn on the way...and a smokin' hot bullpen, I can talk pitching staff! :D

The numbers in the sig should be the giveaway (Weaver, B. Robinson, Ripken, F. Robinson, Palmer, Murray, J. Robinson).

As for the real issue, I think tpoh's underlying point is that the Yankees should be required to play by the same rules as everyone else, whatever those rules may be. If no one else is allowed to leave the Majestic logo off of their jerseys, why the Yankees be allowed to do so?

That being said, I wish all teams were given some leeway to do their own things in some respect. It drives me crazy to see nearly every MLB team (and every NFL team, for that matter) wearing jackets and other gear from the same template, with only colors and logos changed. I'm not a big satin jacket guy, but they do scream "baseball", so it would be nice to see other teams given the chance to wear them if they chose to do so.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

As for the real issue, I think tpoh's underlying point is that the Yankees should be required to play by the same rules as everyone else, whatever those rules may be. If no one else is allowed to leave the Majestic logo off of their jerseys, why the Yankees be allowed to do so?

It's my understanding that the Yankees pay for the privilege. Any team is free to set up their own on-field uniform contract if it means enough to them to pay for it. The replica jerseys sold to fans are part of the same Majestic contract as all other clubs.

The Angels are not wearing this year's new extra-fancy BP caps. I suspect that Moreno might be paying for that as well, though I've no proof of it. But it does indicate that teams can opt out of MLB mandates in certain limited aspects.

I'm not a big satin jacket guy, but they do scream "baseball", so it would be nice to see other teams given the chance to wear them if they chose to do so.

Agreed. I think they look ugly and blousy on fans, but they just look right in the dugout and walking to the mound.

Satin or not, I still hate it when pitchers wear a jacket in while on base. It reminds me of playing kickball in the schoolyard and having to run around the bases with your coat on. There was always that one teacher that everyone hated who ran recess and made us all wear our coats at all times.

They should come up with somekind of special pullover thingy for the pitchers to keep them warm while still being able to run around comfortably.

I harbor ill will towards the Yankee$ because they're a blight on baseball, and because I'm an Orioles fan. <_<

Fair enough, but you have to separate your love for the team from your appreciation of design. Blind homerism isn't very conducive to conversations (not to mention that the Orioles aren't exactly a stranger to high payrolls).

I'm a Brewers fan, and hate their 2000-2007 uniforms with a passion. I've loved the Packers for thirty years, but even I can admit that the Bears have some sharp-looking uniforms (ugly highway-worker orange aside).

My complaint was more about the Yankee$ getting away with whatever they want--as usual--than about the jacket itself. However, even if it was another team wearing satin jackets, I still wouldn't like them, as I have an aversion to shiny fabrics. The (Orioles) jacket I really, really liked was the 1995-96 Starter black body/orange sleeve version in the matte fabric. (I have no idea what the name of the fabric was, but I loved that stuff!)

(I also don't like shiny metals, and yellow brass...go figure. <_< )

My complaint was more about the Yankee$ getting away with whatever they want--as usual--than about the jacket itself.

I get that you don't like the Yankees, but you're letting that dislike get a little out of hand.

The Yankees are not "getting away with whatever they want". Any other club could do what the Yankees are doing, were it important enough to them.

Are you also upset with the Angels, who have opted out of this year's ugly BP caps?

The Orioles being generally ring-deficient definitely factors into your aesthetic, then. :P

I like the jackets. I also like the minor differences in unis, though.

My complaint was more about the Yankee$ getting away with whatever they want--as usual--than about the jacket itself.

I get that you don't like the Yankees, but you're letting that dislike get a little out of hand.

The Yankees are not "getting away with whatever they want". Any other club could do what the Yankees are doing, were it important enough to them.

Are you also upset with the Angels, who have opted out of this year's ugly BP caps?

Yes. It's not like somebody from the Angels wasn't present to sign off on their cap design. They should have to live with them for this season, and change 'em next year.

And, if the Yankee$ get to flout several uniform rules, they are "getting away with whatever they want".

I'm going to hate the Yankee$ even more, now that they've decided to be the Texas Rangers East ("pitching...we don't need no stinking pitching...not when we can score 15 runs a night!") and their games are going to go from an average of 4.5 hours long to an average of 6 hours long! :therock:

The Orioles being generally ring-deficient definitely factors into your aesthetic, then. :P

I like the jackets. I also like the minor differences in unis, though.

A matte pewter or silver ring would be quite nice for the Orioles return to the top of the heap. :D

And, if the Yankee$ get to flout several uniform rules, they are "getting away with whatever they want".

You have made this claim several times without substantiation. What are the Yankees doing that other clubs can't do?

If the Yankees were being given preferential treatment that no other teams receive, than it should be fairly easy for you to prove it. If the Yankees are just making choices that other teams could (and do) make, then you don't have a leg to stand on with this complaint.

It's time to put up or shut up, if you'll forgive the expression.

You have made this claim several times without substantiation. What are the Yankees doing that other clubs can't do?

If the Yankees were being given preferential treatment that no other teams receive, than it should be fairly easy for you to prove it. If the Yankees are just making choices that other teams could (and do) make, then you don't have a leg to stand on with this complaint.

It's time to put up or shut up, if you'll forgive the expression.

I think it is very likely that the Yankees do get away with some things. Like the Majestic logo on the sleeve. I'm sure that the contract between the MLB and Majestic calls for it, but the Yankees made sure they could be given an exception. I'm not sure many teams would be granted that.

Not sure whether that's true about the jackets and the new BP hats (which would be an example that other teams are doing their own thing) though.

I'm on the fence about it.

Nobody should be given a special exception to the rules (probably), but at the same time, I hate all of the rules that require this templated stuff.

So I like that the Yankees are different. I hate that they're getting a special exception (if they indeed are).

I think it is very likely that the Yankees do get away with some things. Like the Majestic logo on the sleeve. I'm sure that the contract between the MLB and Majestic calls for it, but the Yankees made sure they could be given an exception. I'm not sure many teams would be granted that.

I recall reading an article that the Yankees opted out of the standard on-field contract and pay for their own uniforms. Any team could do that if they chose.

Much in the same way that Dallas opted out of the standard NFL merchandising agreement, and handle their own. The Cowboys don't get a share of the League's merchandising revenue, but they don't share their own and they obviously think the tradeoff is worth it. Any other team could do that if they wanted, but so far no other team has done so. I hate the Cowboys with a passion, but I can't complain that they are receiving "special treatment" for doing something my team has elected not to do.

Not sure whether that's true about the jackets and the new BP hats (which would be an example that other teams are doing their own thing) though.

That, to my mind, is the strongest evidence that other teams could make the same choices - they do.

It did my heart good on Friday to see the entire Brewers coaching staff wearing these jackets in the dugout:

pMLB2-2561759reg.jpg

instead of the new template:

pMLB2-3107877reg.jpg

Archived