Indians Larry Doby tribute

grmuckrakers

Slightly off topic, but Veeck also intended on buying the Phillies at one point when Commissioner Landis disagreed with Veeck's position on bringing in some of the best Negro League players at the time (including Paige, who later pitched for Veeck in Cleveland and in a couple other situations -- seriously, read Veeck as in Wreck. It's good). The Phillies ended up selling to a group that offered significantly less.

I kinda heart Bill Veeck, in a completely non-creepy, non-sexual way.

Every Fifth Day is a

HappyFelixDay.gif

Slightly off topic, but Veeck also intended on buying the Phillies at one point when Commissioner Landis disagreed with Veeck's position on bringing in some of the best Negro League players at the time (including Paige, who later pitched for Veeck in Cleveland and in a couple other situations -- seriously, read Veeck as in Wreck. It's good). The Phillies ended up selling to a group that offered significantly less.

I kinda heart Bill Veeck, in a completely non-creepy, non-sexual way.

Oh. I just posted that in another thread.

Good to see confirmation though.

Want to recognize the first black player in the major leagues? How about a Moses Fleetwood Walker night?!

Well Fleetwood Walker along with his brother Welday were in 1884 and he was asked to leave after one year. Jackie ended 63 years of wrong doing.

As for Doby hes in the Hall now and was enshrined before he died, which is a good thing he had to wait nearly 50 years. When I was in TV Production in College I shined a TV light on him so I met him once :D.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived