Nfl uniforms

slapshot

Since I've been home sick all week, I've had plenty of time to watch ESPN and the old Super Bowl highlight shows.

It seems a lot of the games from the late 70s had teams with silkscreening on the uniforms (Cowboys, Broncos, Rams).  Were most of the teams back then using silkscreened numbers, lettering and striping? It only seemed that Pittsburgh, Oakland and Minnesota were using tackle-twill. I saw one highlight of Oakland in SuperBowl XI where the player's helmet logo sticker was peeling right off his helmet. Was this cheap quality typical of the league or just a few select teams? I think I remember the Patriots also having silkscreening.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I think Alot of the teams used it during the 70's and early 80s.

Remember the Earl Campbell and Greg Pruitt "tear aways".   They were just "fish net" jerseys with the silk screened numbers.

I think it goes back to that..."NEW TECHNOLOGY".  At the time, screen printing was new and cool!  So, everyone took advantage of it...i am sure it was cheaper for the team too!

if you look at all of the older footage, the helmets were nothing like they are now either, they had HUGE gouges in them from hitting other helmets.  Now adays, they take the helmets every week it seems and re sand them and re paint them prior to game day

I think the last 2 teams to wear the "iron-on numbers" look were the Redskins and Bills prior to 2002, when Reebok monopolized the NFL jersey. For some reasons, both teams stuck with the "iron on" look through 2001, after the rest of the NFL had moved on from this somewhat low-class trend.

Archived