MudHens Purchase Toledo Storm

Burning River

From Cleveland's NewsNet5:

The Toledo Mud Hens said they have bought the city's minor league hockey team. The county-owned Mud Hens will create a not-for-profit organization to operate the hockey team. Mud Hens General Manager Joe Napoli said the Toledo Storm of the East Coast Hockey League will suspend play for the next two years. The hockey team will play in a new downtown arena scheduled to open in 2009.

County leaders in January approved a hotel tax increase to raise money for the arena, which will cost about $80 million and be built near the city's convention center (SeaGate).

--------

Among the assets transferred in the sale include membership in the ECHL and the team's nickname, although Mud Hens officials said the hockey team will likely abandon its "Storm" moniker.

--------

It seems that they need to tear down the Old Toledo Sports Arena ASAP to start the process of redevelopment at the current arena sight near the Maumee River. It didn't make sense for the team to still play for 2 years while losing money. Plus delaying the Riverfront Development plan 2 years in the process.

You think two years will be enough time to finally develop a somewhat-respectable logo?

Also, that takes out one member of the Ohio contingent the UHL is supposeedly trying to lure.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

You think two years will be enough time to finally develop a somewhat-respectable logo?

Also, that takes out one member of the Ohio contingent the UHL is supposeedly trying to lure.

Somehow I still think the ECHL will be doing a better job of luring UHL teams than the other way around.

EDIT-supposedly there was either state or federal money (I forget which) that would have paid for demolition and redevelopment that HAD to be used by the end of 2007 as well.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I saw an article about a week and a half ago saying the MudHens are looking to rebrand the team.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Yea this was on the front page of "THE TOLEDO BLADE" sports section yesterday.

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...RTS10/704170350

Finally they're getting a new sports arena. That's been one of the top debates in Toledo, for the last, probably, 2 years.

(I'm from toledo if u didnt already know :P )

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I've also heard they're building a 8-10,000 seat arena in efforts of attracting an AHL club. They've been discussing this for about 10 years.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

whats that logo look like anyway?

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

There's no way to maintain continuity and have the team keep playing? TWO years off? That can't help maintain/sustain your fan base much.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

And there's your proof that "retro" and "upgrade" are two terms which operate independently of each other.

That name, and that alleged logo, both belong buried in the past, as does the assault-and-battery style of hockey played in the IHL in the '70s.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived