Banned Words List

spyboy1

Every year at New Year's, Lake Superior State University announces it's List of Words Banished from the Queen's English for Mis-Use, Over-Use and General Uselessness.

http://www.lssu.edu/banished/

This year I have decided to begin my crusade in earnest to rid the world of my least favorite, cronically misused sports cliche - "Unanswered Runs/Points/Goals"

I have submitted the following entry to LSSU for consideration for next year's list.

?Unanswered Points? (or Goals or Runs depending on the sport) is one of the most often misused phrases in all of sportscasting.

So many times while watching or listening to a game on radio or TV or reading an article in the newspaper, this stupid phrase is used incorrectly.

For example, the ?Tigers? are leading 3-0 over the ?Bears?. The Bears score 6 times in a row and the sportscaster will exclaim that the ?Bears have scored six unanswered points to take the lead!?

No, they have not!

The Tigers were already leading by 3. The first 3 Bears points were the ?answers? to the 3 points the Tigers had already scored.

The Tigers do not need to ?answer? the first 3 Bears points since the Tigers had already scored their 3 points before the Bears scored any.

The Bears have scored 6 ?consecutive points?, and have scored a total of 3 ?unanswered points? that the Tigers need to respond to, or ?answer?.

?Unanswered points? should be used to indicate the margin that a team leads by, which it never is, while ?consecutive points? should be used to indicate the scoring streak a team is on instead of the insipid ?unanswered points? that is always used instead.

Please add this overused and misused phrase to the list of banned words so that one day sportswriters and sportscasters will perhaps stop and think about just what the phrase really means, realize the error of their ways and stop using it incorrectly every time they say it.

Which sports phrases drive you guy crazy?

JeffB

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dumb things I often heard said as "analysis", not really cliche, just really stupid things to say...

1. If the <insert hockey team here> want to win this game, they need to find a way to get the puck in the net.

2. The problem this team has (any sport/team) is they are not scoring enough, and they are giving up too many points defensively.

3. Team (insert team here) are now holding the momentum. (Seems to me whoever scored last has "momentum" which never seems to mean anything other than they scored last).

4. Team (insert team here) really want to win tonight... (as opposed to yesterday when they DIDN'T want to win???)

There are many others. This is what separates good analysis from bad. Good commentators actually analyze strategy, lineups, injuries, coaching adjustments, batting stance, pitch location and sometimes even come up with statistics. Bad commentators just say things like: "Well you can't win games if you don't score, so this team needs to score soon or they'll lose".

Really bad commentators not only spew cliches and generalize endlessly, but they also do it to constantly boost one particular team.

Sadly, in most sports, bad outnumber the good by a very large margin. Rick Rizz of Seattle is the alpha-dog of all bad sports commentary. All patrons of Seattle would agree with me on this.

When you hear...

"What a terrific new haircut Adrian Beltre is sporting this year..."

...as actual "commentary" on a game, you know its going to be a bad broadcast.

"Double reverse." Most often it's a single reverse. Sportscasters are just idiots.

No kidding. There ought to be a card handed out to all broadcasters before doing football games explaining this.

QB hands off to receiver - end-around

Receiver hands off to receiver coming other direction - reverse

Second receiver hands off to a third guy - double reverse

Is it that hard? :cursing:

Rick Rizz of Seattle is the alpha-dog of all bad sports commentary. All patrons of Seattle would agree with me on this.

When you hear...

"What a terrific new haircut Adrian Beltre is sporting this year..."

...as actual "commentary" on a game, you know its going to be a bad broadcast.

Yep, we had him here for a while after the fiasco that was Ernie Harwell's firing. I can vouch for him being maddening.

Moral victory.

A loss is a loss and can not be somehow converted into a victory no matter how many positives you can take away from it. I learned this from hearing about it from Jim Mora Jr. for 2 years. Also referred to as "Game of adversity."

Regarding the football term "unabated to the quarterback", John Madden, when referring to its opposite, used to (and still might) say "bated" instead of "abated". That always drove me nuts.

I get kind of upset when they use the term "good at-bat" for ABs in which guys foul off/take a bunch of pitches. Isn't a first pitch hit/HR/sac fly a good at bat?

I'm not saying fouling off pitches isn't a good AB, but it seems as though the term only gets thrown out there in that situation.

Archived