Banned Words List

spyboy1

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A team's office referred to as their "war room" during draft day. Hyperbole at its most ridiculous.

It's an office or a meeting room. Calling it a war room is beyond ridiculous.

The phrase "walk off homerun" drives me nuts. It's so over used.

BB52Big.jpg

A team's office referred to as their "war room" during draft day. Hyperbole at its most ridiculous.

Ehhh...."walk-off homerun" doesn't bother me so much. But the term "walk-off" is being WAY overused. I've even heard sportscasters use the term "walk-off walk" and "walk-off wild pitch", as if the batter has done something so special by taking a walk. I'm just waiting to hear a baseball commentator say "walk-off hit-by-pitch".

At least a homerun is a pretty good accomplishment.

espnsig.gif

I hate it when baseball players use baseball analogies when they talk about their teams.

The other night, one of the Angels said their pitcher, "Really stepped up to the plate for us tonight." I don't think you can use that analogy.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

Can I ask golf announcers for a moratorium on saying something was a terrific "golf shot"?

I understand that some viewers may be confused as to what sport they're watching, but I don't think you're going after the infant-toddler demographic anyway.

Have some sense and use an appropriate adjective.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Ehhh...."walk-off homerun" doesn't bother me so much. But the term "walk-off" is being WAY overused. I've even heard sportscasters use the term "walk-off walk" and "walk-off wild pitch", as if the batter has done something so special by taking a walk. I'm just waiting to hear a baseball commentator say "walk-off hit-by-pitch".

At least a homerun is a pretty good accomplishment.

Anything that wins your team the game is a pretty good accomplishment, home run or not.

And I actually heard the "walkoff hit-by-pitch" one earlier this year when Pierzynski got hit and the winning run scored as a result.

IUe6Hvh.png

I hate it when baseball players use baseball analogies when they talk about their teams.

The other night, one of the Angels said their pitcher, "Really stepped up to the plate for us tonight." I don't think you can use that analogy.

It's wrong because pitcher steps DOWN towards the plate..... ^_^

I had thought the term "walkoff" refers to the other team because when a team scores the winning run, the other team walks off the field.

I have been annoyed lately when some news programs show the home team pitching in the top of 9th and refer to it as the BOTTOM of the 9th.

"it was what it is"

I saw, I came, I left.

The overuse of the word "football" needs to go. As in: "He's a great football player in today's National Football League. He runs the football up the football field very well but his fumbles are too high, he needs to hold onto the football better."

I know what sport it it is, and everybody else watching knows what sport it is. You can say 'player', 'field', 'ball', and 'NFL' without weakening your brand or whatever it is you're trying to convey.

And while we're at it; stop calling them frames. Frames are in bowling. Hockey has periods, football has quarters and halves, baseball has innings. When I'm watching a hockey game, I don't want to hear "They are scoreless in this frame." Call it what it is and leave the bowling lingo out of it. I'm talking to you, Mike Emrick.

There's another baseball quirk that I just do NOT understand.

It's the use of the word "scuffling" instead of "struggling".

I hear this all the time in baseball, locally and nationally. "He's really been scuffling at the plate lately."

A scuffle is an altercation between two people. One player having problems at the plate (or in the field catching or throwing the ball) is a struggle where one person tries to overcome difficulties.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Near-miss

When two things almost collide, they call it a near-miss.

It's not a near-miss...

It's a near-hit!!

A collission is a near miss.

=============================

*BOOM!*

"Look... they nearly missed."

"Yeah, but not quite!"

philly.png

I can't stand for some reason when the word "yard" is used to describe a home run as in "Albert Pujols just went yard" only because it seems like a 90's sportscenter holdover that has just stuck around.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I hate it when any NHL color man has to make a joke about Vernon Fiddler playing in Nashville.

They always have to make some lame joke about Fiddles and Country music.

It is so damn lame.

I also hate the term "patented move"

I hate when Ken Daniels (Red Wings play by play man) uses the term "Datsyukian Deek" as if he is the only player that can skate or make fancy moves.

Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

When I watch some rugby matches, there are some plays where the guy is kicking the ball two or three times (without taking it with his hands)... here the genius from the broadcast yells: "he is playing now soccer!!!"

ARRRGH.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Excluding anything that falls from the mouth of Tim McCarver (sheesh!), my biggest pet peeve is "RBIs". The abbreviation stands for Run Batted In. Thus, the plural of RBI is RBI, for Runs Batted In. You want to call them "ribbies", "ribeyes", "steaks", or any other extension of "RBI"? Then pluralize it. But RBI is both a singular and plural form.

[EDIT: I noticed when DSG quoted me, I didn't explain this as well as I should have. My bad.]

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Near-miss

When two things almost collide, they call it a near-miss.

It's not a near-miss...

It's a near-hit!!

A collission is a near miss.

That is a good one. I'm never going to hear that the same again.

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Anything that Buck, McCarver or a combination thereof might say...

they annoy me so bad

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Excluding anything that falls from the mouth of Tim McCarver (sheesh!), my biggest pet peeve is "RBIs". The abbreviation stands for Runs Batted In. The plural of RBI is RBI. You want to call them "ribbies", "ribeyes", "steaks", or any other extension of "RBI"? Then pluralize it. But RBI is both singular and plural.

I totally agree. Boy does that drive me nuts too. It's one (among many) reason I don't watch baseball much anymore -- the bad grammar.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived