San Diego Padres Sand Jersey

Sodboy13

Funny that this thread was started a day after they last wore them:

29103884.jpg

I admit, I was wondering the same thing until I saw them Monday night. Add to that the fact Greg Maddux, who was a virtual lock to wear gray during the Cubs' all-blue era, chooses to wear the navy and I suppose it's a bad outlook for the tans.

I agree with those that like variety. I think the Jays graphites would have been cool and these are cool in their own way. Not everyone has to be gray and white. And newer teams should be able to get away with this more easily, I suppose. (Losing your identity because of too many color overhauls is a different story, but I actually think the current set does a nice job of tying the navy of recent years and PCL with a wink to the brown days in the form of tan.) I'd agree that the wordmark doesn't really seem to fit, though, but then, neither does the Cubs'.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had a problem with the sand road unis since they came out with them in 2004. If they're going to incorporate a tannish road uni why not use one that already kicked ass...the 1969 set. That shade of tan looked nice. This halfway brown, halfway urine colored set is just grossing me out and I'm glad they're at least halfway hiding it with the navy shirts.

EDIT: Mind you, I realize that I'm saying this while Trevor in my sig is wearing the above mentioned jersey.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

You know, what would be wrong with baseball teams wearing solid colored uniforms (shirts and pants) on the road? It's good enough for every other sport, and would probably look pretty good once we all got used to it. The Tigers would wear navy with orange trim, the Angels would be in red, etc.

I've had a problem with the sand road unis since they came out with them in 2004. If they're going to incorporate a tannish road uni why not use one that already kicked ass...the 1969 set. That shade of tan looked nice. This halfway brown, halfway urine colored set is just grossing me out and I'm glad they're at least halfway hiding it with the navy shirts.

Agreed on all counts. The 1969 set was all class.

I've never been a fan of the sand color at all, as a jersey or as trim. I did a recolor concept with a gray uniform (there were also some other tweaks, might as well post the whole set); just for a visual of what they could do with gray:

PadresHomeConcept72.pngPadresRoadConcept72.pngPadresAlt.png

Meh. I am OK with the Pads going tan. It works for them on a few levels. It's historical (tan roadies at a few times in their past, brown as primary color for decades), and it's a subtle nod to the military; if you've ever been to San Diego, you'd get why they'd consider paying tribute to our armed forces.

Gray grew out of tradition; gray wool was readily available, and with the dyes used to color clothing in the early part of last century, it couldn't have been a good idea to be running around and sweating in dyed clothes all summer long (essentially why sanitary hose were worn beneath the stirrups, IIRC). I am fine with gray for most teams (except gray caps look like a$$... it's traditionally been the source of team colors on uniforms, and gray looks out of place as a cap), and I liked the old Padres' gray sets. But they've done the tan tastefully. I'm all for it.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

29103884.jpg

I also don't understand people comparing the Padres' tan uniforms with urine.

If you look in the toilet after you pee and you see a color even resembling that shade of tan in the picture above, you need to get yourself to an emergency room in a hurry.

I wouldn't want every team to adopt tan, but I would love to see more teams play with shades of gray with some color content. Most teams can't really pull off powder blue, but a very gray, slate blue would be great, or the similar shade of gray-green. I could even see teams using not pink but a pale, dusky rose to match dominant-red color schemes. Better than plain gray, especially for the dozen or so teams that use a shade of gray so light that it's really more of an off-white than anything.

20082614447.png

That's not the best picture for judging the colors, with the crazy electric blue and all....

Electric blue Cubs! Yeah, baby!

Still, having seen the Padres road uniforms in person at the ballpark and in a store, on TV, and in photographs in newspapers, magazines, and online, I've never once seen the Padres tan look anything like urine.

20082614447.png

Not a big problem, but I have a concept idea, which won't be seen for a while because all of my concepts so far look like :censored:. PM me if you want the Specs/Want to help me get started

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

I really like the Padres sand roads.They're unique, and look good for the Padres. It would be nice if some teams wore road uniforms that weren't gray.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

29103884.jpg

If you look in the toilet after you pee and you see a color even resembling that shade of tan in the picture above, you need to get yourself to an emergency room in a hurry.

haha i just noticed that. that's great lol

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

I actually have not problem with the 'tan' colored unis. I think its actually kind of nice seeing a team take a bit of a chance (as subtle as it may be) with their look and not just comform to the norm. I'm usually not a big fan of different JUST to be different, but in this case I think it was well done. That being said, I still think the old brown and yellow unis of the past were a gem and should be brought back. :D

I'm in the group that says, if your using gray, whats wrong with sand? Its the gold to gray's silver.

They look cool, because they are unique.

And no, baseball should NOT bring back the uni-clot look like the 78 Indians. You have NO idea what you are asking for.

The tan is a nod to the beach - and the "San Diego" text shooting outward is a reference to San Diego's lighthouse. The surf style "Padres" script is perfect for the city.

I think we can all agree that San Diego has a long history of the best "out-there" colors in baseball. Glad to see the Pads are keeping this alive.

Archived