Nationals wear Virginia Tech hats

DEAD!

Phillies (current) manager Charlie Manuel is wearing a VT cap in Washington during BP.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would like a chance to clear my name, and my opinion on the issue.

I said early in the thread that I would have liked the tribute better if the Nats had matching VT hats. I said this because almost every tribute a sports team does involves uniformity. The caps or patches are almost always the same for everyone. That is why I posted my original comment, because it looked odd (at least to me) to see a tribute where the hats did not match. I posted without thinking it through.

It's dawned on me that the Nats had only hours to get enough VT caps for the entire team.

So looking back, the Nats did the best they could, and that's good enough for me. I apologize if anyone was offended by my remarks. They were spur of the moment, before I was able to recognize the difference between this tribute and previous ones.

As for the tribute itself, I think it's a wonderful thing. The Nationals aren't making any money off of this and some of the money used to buy the caps will go to VT.

They listened to a fan who was hurt by what happened, and they did something they had no obligation to do, something they didn't benefit from. Essentially this is a prime example of a corporation doing something entirely for the little guy.

As for what happened at VT, my prayers are out to those effected by this atrocity.

cappital92, what is your problem? What exactly are you trying to prove/be? You hate preppy kids? They piss you off more then 32 people dying at a university in what's practically your own backyard?

What exactly is wrong with you? I could take a guess, but common sense tells me I shouldn't.

So looking back, the Nats did the best they could, and that's good enough for me. I apologize if anyone was offended by my remarks.

you shouldn't apologize, you were right. look at the dynamo story that just broke, they took some time and put thought into their tribute, and it is uniform and will look nice as well as raise money for the cause. the nationals could have done something similar. if they cared they would have taken some time on this.

on another note I think it is important to note that i treat uncontrollable disasters a lot more sympathetically Katrina was horrible and any tribute to the victims of that would have been great, even thrown together in a few hours...but actions like this are controllable, they are brought on by society, and that is what i think a few people fail to understand. This could have been prevented, and some of you show an understanding of that fact. I view this different than any national disaster, so when I am called an a$$hole, make sure there is an asterick attached please.

VitaminD, I couldn't have said it better.

I probably could, but I'll defer. :D

Seriously, his points were well stated and spot on. I am also amazed at all of the cynicism about a fairly simple gesture and the suggestion that we need to ignore events like this.

The interesting irony in all of this is that cappital92 goes to high school somewhere within 45 minutes of the shooter's high school (probably closer, but I'll allow for Northern Virginia traffic) and also appears to have a thing against rich kids (or at least preppy ones).

The dude went to Westfield, which is my school's football rival, (and within five minutes of the Preppy Capital Of The World) so I'm oversaturated with all this media. Sorry if I offended anybody.

You just need to stop, you don't seem capable of helping your case. Fake apology or not.

Well I guess im just more a fan of the quiet tribute. Something that I feel is missing from the world today are acts of kindness without any motivation for personal gain. I mean is asking a for big business to do something for someone quietly really so much? And im not saying that was on the Nats mind either. But it definately sticks out to me as a blatant PR move by a big business, weather subconsciously or not. Cut the school a check, offer use of your facilities, even offer to help reinforce security at the school. And if the school wants to say something publicly than fine. But truth of the matter is wearing the school's hats during your game isnt going to help fix the security gaps at VT, its not going to help the four survivors in that German class cope any better with the horrors of that day, and its not going to help parents of VT students sleep any easier. Its empty. All it does is make a few people say, Awww, how sweet. You can call me an idiot, misguided, heartless, incorrect, an as*hole, whatever you want, but im not impressed. I expected more.

How do you know what their motive for doing it was? Were you in the clubhouse before gametime? Maybe it was just something they thought might be a nice gesture. They weren't looking to benefit financially from it. There was no money to be made from wearing those hats last night. It wasn't Viginia Tech Memorial Hat Night presented by Chrysler, just a few guys wearing VT hats to show support. Simple as that. Forgive them for trying to do something nice, in whatever way they can. They're not going to stop the season for a week, just as you probably went on with your normal daily life yesterday. The Nationals aren't responsible for what happened at VT, nor should they be responsible for finding a solution. They are only a baseball team. Donating money to the school won't bring back 32 lives, nor should they have to donate money.

And how do you know that one of the Nats wearing that hat didn't mean anything to someone dealing with this? I assume you are not one of those people. Maybe someone in one of the victims' families was a huge Nats fan and it brought a smile to their face last night if they saw it. You have no idea what it might mean to someone.

"I expected more." Just because the Nats play 250 miles from Blacksburg doesn't obligate them to do anything. If you're so concerned about people donating money then write VT a check.

Actually, during the Washington broadcast the roving field reporter talked to the Sports Authority staffer from "the Alexandria store" (Potomoc Yards location, presumably) who was tasked in the late afternoon with rounding up enough VT caps for the team and coaches. His story was that he pretty much grabbed every VT cap in store, plus a stop at another location to do the same (Springfield Mall location would be my bet; close to Alexandria and an easy shot up 95 to 295 to the stadium), then he drove straight to the ballpark. In rush hour traffic, which is why the Nats didn't have the VT caps in the first inning.

And some of that money goes back to VT, there's your donation.

Your never "Obligated" to do anything kind. Thats pretty much the point of it. And yes, it might have meant something to someone where they might have said, awww how sweet. Like I previously stated. And yeah, VT will get a cut of that purchase, in total they'll probably get about two or three dollars. And thats being generous. The greatest act of kindness IMO is helping progression during tough times. Wearing some hats IMO does nothing to help that. It was a terrible tragedy what happened at VT. Its unthinkable as to how someone can senselessly kill and injure so many. The victims should be remembered and the school should be offered as much support as possible. And sure, if you want to even take it as an act of emotional support then fine. I just personally dont think its enough, and do questo the motives. Nothing against the Nats either, hell, I like the Nats. And im glad they're doing something. Personally id like to see Major League Baseball cut a very signifigant check and offer its support to the school, and on top of that I hope even further that none of us hear a word about it from the MLB. Im so tired of charity tying in with PR and for once id like to see someone do something strictly for someone else with absolutely no return. But maybe im being idealistic.

Well think of it this way. How do you know that that doesn't happen? If you're asking for quiet service during crises, how would you know when a large organization writes a big check if it's kept under wraps. My point is that you don't see the quiet things and thus assume that all the large staged for PR charity events are the only acts of kindness. This was not one of them. You're probably right, there probably isn't that much silent acts of charity but to assume that there is none isn't right either. It's just easier to see the publicity stunts than it is to see the quiet events.

and cappital92, You wear alot of black don't you? Write sad poems? I know three people from my high school class who went to Virginia Tech and don't you know if I wasn't scared to death that they were one of the victims. How dare you, you inconsiderate pr*ck. You are an awful human being, that's all I have to say.

as for the hats, well done for the Nationals. A little Moral support never hurt anyone.

Honestly the maroon VT hats actually don't look too out of place coupled with the Nationals' jersey. If they wore something really different like say Wake Forest's black and gold or Tulane green then it would look ugly, but this is a nice gesture that was nicely executed and didn't look too awful.

I know it's a message board and that everybody's entitled to their own opinion, but anybody that criticizes this move is heartless. The baseball cap is a cultural phenomenon, an article of clothing that can be purchased with just about any team on it regardless of sport. Wearing VT's baseball caps is a unique, touching and brilliant way to honour the victims of this horrible massacre.

Call me heartless, but I think it's the worse idea the Nats ever had.

D American need to stop holding vigils, and tributes, and coomemorations and memorials and start realizing that enough is enough. Stop being reactive and start being proactive and not afraid to make rules that may offend some people.

Couldn't agree more.

Now I don't know if this has been published somewhere, but on the radio this morning they had said that it was recommended that on Friday April 20th, all sports teams and fans of those teams should wear VA Tech colors in some way.

If anyone can find documented proof of this, that would be great, as I would like to bring the idea up to managers at the baseball stadium.

No,they're telling EVERYONE to wear Maroon and Orange on Friday. A very stupid idea, if you ask me.

I want know know what the :censored: is your problem?

You care more about anti-prepish acts and banning Myspace, than 30 people that were innocently killed relatively close to your house. Get your freaking priories straight. Serouisly, ehy do you care about preps so much that you launch a message board crusade against them.

I would like a chance to clear my name, and my opinion on the issue.

I said early in the thread that I would have liked the tribute better if the Nats had matching VT hats. I said this because almost every tribute a sports team does involves uniformity. The caps or patches are almost always the same for everyone. That is why I posted my original comment, because it looked odd (at least to me) to see a tribute where the hats did not match. I posted without thinking it through.

It's dawned on me that the Nats had only hours to get enough VT caps for the entire team.

So looking back, the Nats did the best they could, and that's good enough for me. I apologize if anyone was offended by my remarks. They were spur of the moment, before I was able to recognize the difference between this tribute and previous ones.

As for the tribute itself, I think it's a wonderful thing. The Nationals aren't making any money off of this and some of the money used to buy the caps will go to VT.

They listened to a fan who was hurt by what happened, and they did something they had no obligation to do, something they didn't benefit from. Essentially this is a prime example of a corporation doing something entirely for the little guy.

As for what happened at VT, my prayers are out to those effected by this atrocity.

cappital92, what is your problem? What exactly are you trying to prove/be? You hate preppy kids? They piss you off more then 32 people dying at a university in what's practically your own backyard?

What exactly is wrong with you? I could take a guess, but common sense tells me I shouldn't.

I WAS TALKING ABOUT MY SCHOOL, NOT VT, FOR GOD'S SAKE. WHY YOU THINK I'M SOME EMOITE,I DON'T KNOW. Y'ALL ARE THE ONES WITH THE PROBLEM.

P.S. Mac2, Navy Blue is the primary color of my wardrobe, you idiot. And I'm the heartless one.

Ok since you asked here are your solutions

A. There are far too many guns in America today. At some point we are going to have to pass serious gun control laws.

B. America is seriously over medicated. Every time someone has a problem, a normal human emotion, they say here's ten medications. The meds not only fail to fix the problem but they sometimes aggrivate the negative emotions.

C. The media needs to stop with all of the non-stop coverage of these incidents. They blame video games or music but in reality the media is the one glorifying traggic events. They keep mentioning how it was a record breaking rampage, and showing exactly how and when he planned the attack. Media need to stop getting ratings over tragedy.

D American need to stop holding vigils, and tributes, and coomemorations and memorials and start realizing that enough is enough. Stop being reactive and start being proactive and not afraid to make rules that may offend some people.

If you need more I can go on.

A. While I don't disagree, there is one simple fact - if somebody wants to kill someone, and is willing to forfeit his own life in the process, it is nearly impossible to stop them.

B. As the husband of a bipolar person, I can tell you that without her medications she would be unable to function. Admittedly, the meds can go wrong - we've been married eight years and are still tinkering with her meds - but they are necessary in many cases.

C. So should the media ignore what happened. 32 people being killed is news. They are not "glorifying" events any more than the coverage of Iraq "glorifies" war. And the study of why and how he did it is important as we try to keep things like this from happening agian. We recently had a similar incident in Green Bay - a Columbine-like planned attack - that was stopped because students were sharp enough to report what they had seen and heard. The would-be attackers had the weapons ready.

D. I assume you've never had somebody close to you die. When you do, I think you'll see just how wrong this statement is.

In short, I'm assuming that when you're my age - 50 as of last month - you'll look back with some more perspective. Stop thinking just of yourself.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

i wasn't going to say anything, but this is a message board, so i feel free to express my opinion. i think these look dumb in action on the team, and the idea is dumb to begin with. a moment of silence is great, maybe just a VT painted near the on-deck circle for a couple games, but wearing their hats? just seems a little overboard for a tragedy that (at a different level) happens everyday. maybe i'm an a$$hole, but this has been made into a bigger deal than it needs to be.

Indeed you are...I'm sure if one of your familiy got killed youir foolish opinion would be different.

Way to go Nationals, classy!

Saints2.pnglsu21bcs1.png

saintsflagbd4.jpg

P.S. Mac2, Navy Blue is the primary color of my wardrobe, you idiot. And I'm the heartless one.

whoa son. Let's keep things in perspective. Can you just grow up and change your member title. It is proving your youth and stupidity and giving people in our generation which already look bad enough an even worse name. You'll remember this in a few years when you aren't in the ninth grade and think what an idiot you were. And if you don't feel remorseful by that time, well then I feel sorry for you and the sad existence you will lead.

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Nationals did the right thing. It doesnt even matter that they wore different hats, some things get to a point where details don't matter, you feel like it needs to be done, so you do it, regardless of how it looks. It's the thought and the gesture, folks, and the Nats did good.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

One problem on this board, among many, is that people can't just say "You know what? I was wrong. I said something dumb, I thought about it, and I was wrong." No modifiers, no parting shots, no trying to minimize things. Just a simple "I was wrong."

Capital82, it would behoove you to simply say you were wrong. Because you were. And continue to be.

As for the Nats and any other team that wants to show a gesture to the greater VT community and the rest of the country, go for it. We won't soon forget (if ever) what happened in Blacksburg. And yes, people do die every day everywhere in terrible circumstances. However, much like 9/11, our sense of propriety and security was taken away from us and we're helpless to do anything about it. A simple "hang in there" gesture from MLB is welcome and appreciated.

And, by the way, we can't know what is going on behind the scenes of these teams and what other corporations are doing for those affected. I'm sure there are plenty of good, altruistic stories we're simply not privy to.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

A. There are far too many guns in America today. At some point we are going to have to pass serious gun control laws.

B. America is seriously over medicated. Every time someone has a problem, a normal human emotion, they say here's ten medications. The meds not only fail to fix the problem but they sometimes aggrivate the negative emotions.

C. The media needs to stop with all of the non-stop coverage of these incidents. They blame video games or music but in reality the media is the one glorifying traggic events. They keep mentioning how it was a record breaking rampage, and showing exactly how and when he planned the attack. Media need to stop getting ratings over tragedy.

Here's my points:

A. This has nothing to do with the Nats paying tribute to those who died by wearing Virginia Tech Hats. The Nats have nothing to do with fixing America's security problems. Them wearing these hats does not suggest that we are not doing anything about the security problems. They're frickin hats. They wore them in a baseball game. "Man, what a bunch of @$$holes. How could they wear a hat in a game when we have more pressing issues that a baseball game has nothing to do with fixing? <_< "

B. Your a F***ing Deuchbag.

(Sorry to my fellow Boardmembers for my inappropriate language. Stupidity does that to me.)

Here's my points:

A. This has nothing to do with the Nats paying tribute to those who died by wearing Virginia Tech Hats. The Nats have nothing to do with fixing America's security problems. Them wearing these hats does not suggest that we are not doing anything about the security problems. They're frickin hats. They wore them in a baseball game. "Man, what a bunch of @$$holes. How could they wear a hat in a game when we have more pressing issues that a baseball game has nothing to do with fixing? <_< "

B. Your a F***ing Deuchbag.

(Sorry to my fellow Boardmembers for my inappropriate language. Stupidity does that to me.)

Its okay, your passionate response (all beit a bit harsh) comes from the right place. As I said before, lets stay away from the mud slinging and get back to why we all come to this site in the first place.

What the hell are the Dynamo trying to raise money for? It's not like a natural disaster or something occured. I don't think there can be many repairs needed or anything like that. And the school has a huge budget anyway, so they can fix their own problems (what is this, the third shooting they've had over there? It's probably written into the finances already).

What the hell are the Dynamo trying to raise money for? It's not like a natural disaster or something occured. I don't think there can be many repairs needed or anything like that. And the school has a huge budget anyway, so they can fix their own problems (what is this, the third shooting they've had over there? It's probably written into the finances already).

Scholarship funds for the children of the deceased perhaps? Erection of an appropriate memorial on campus? Memorial scholarship fund in the names of the deceased, separate from the children of any of the deceased? Shall I go on?

Plus, this being the third shooting and all (?), the "Gunshot Remediation" line item in the budget is probably depleted. The Dynamo can help with that as well.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Scholarship funds for the children of the deceased perhaps? Erection of an appropriate memorial on campus? Memorial scholarship fund in the names of the deceased, separate from the children of any of the deceased? Shall I go on?

Plus, this being the third shooting and all (?), the "Gunshot Remediation" line item in the budget is probably depleted. The Dynamo can help with that as well.

What they (and every other college) should be spending the money on is tighter security. Security at every college ive been to (going to my fourth different college in August) is a horrible joke. Most college campuses are like small towns, and therefore they should be enforced with a fleet that can handle the load of a small town, rather than having one 325 pound 70 year old with thyroid problems named Marty at the front entrance who carries a whistle and a flashlight. Seriously, mall security looks top notch compaired to college security.

spacer.png

On 11/19/2012 at 7:23 PM, oldschoolvikings said:
She’s still half convinced “Chris Creamer” is a porn site.)

No, they shouldn't. I like that my undergrad and grad campuses are wide open. It fosters an open, secure environment and 99.999% of the time, it is successful. I don't want to have to go through a metal detector to get onto campus and I certainly don't want to see any sort of police presence outside of the random campus police cruiser.

College campus are and should be special places. They are were (hopefully) dumbass high school kids go to learn how to act and reason as adults. We shouldn't let the microscopic probability of something like this happening again force us to TSA our college campuses.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived