Helvetica: the film

officeglenn

Yes, that's right ... someone has made a feature-length documentary on a typeface, specifically Helvetica: The Globe and Mail

Actually, as the article points out, it's not so much about the typeface itself, but about design in general, and exploring city scapes using the font as a reference point.

The film has already screened in several cities, and it's screening in Toronto this month, and Montreal and Calgary next month. If anyone checks it out, I'd love to hear what you think.

EDIT: Found a list of screenings: http://helveticafilm.com/screenings.html No info on DVD release, or at least that I can see.

actually. to be a bit of a font nerd. Akz G came fift years before helv, arial is microsofts knock off copy.

No shame in being a font nerd 'round these parts.

When does Copperplate: The Movie come out? I heard it's a bunch of overused stories, starring Bruce Willis as a broken down cop, Denzel as the angry black man, and Hilary Swank getting the crap kicked out of her.

I can't really find a synopsis or summary for the film, but here's someone's comments from IMDB:

Helvetica is a humorous film that combines a series of interview clips with a variety of often rather quirky graphic font designers with shot of various street signs and corporate logos. The film provides a great deal of insight into the role of the Helvetica font in shaping Western culture. Helvetica is both entertaining and informative in that it provides great insight into a ubiquitous aspect of modernity about which most of us are completely oblivious. I hope that many people get the opportunity to see this unusual and insightful film, because it opens a fascinating window for better understanding our society. Since versions of Helvetica are also the default font on most computers, many of us type in Helvetica constantly without even realizing it.

It sounds interesting, and I'll probably be in Philly the day it shows there, but I'll be getting my Ryan Howard bobblehead. Edit: nevermind, I'll be in Philly the day after. Poo.

Iroincally, all the subutitles are in Franklin Gothic Medium.

One of my favorites, thankyouverymuch. Any official correspondence within the BC Health System that uses FGM can generally be traced back to my desk.

Want anonymity? Use Comic Sans :cry:

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Iroincally, all the subutitles are in Franklin Gothic Medium.

One of my favorites, thankyouverymuch. Any official correspondence within the BC Health System that uses FGM can generally be traced back to my desk.

Want anonymity? Use Comic Sans :cry:

... and be ridiculed by all... :P

If I could only outlaw ONE font, that would be it... (Comic Sans...) (not FGM... although I can't say I'm a huge fan of it, but it's not a kiddy font...)

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Ridiclued? Yes. But when I've seen official government documents come through the system written in Comic Sans, I die just a little more inside.

Yes, I said "more."

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Ridiclued? Yes. But when I've seen official government documents come through the system written in Comic Sans, I die just a little more inside.

Yes, I said "more."

Speaking of Official Government documentation, the Feds should send their staff to some design course, or someting (Don't tell me THIS was created on OUR Ad Scandal Dollars)...

saccallepage0001hu5.jpg

WORDART??? WORDART?????? WORDART????????? :shocked:

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

• 1 year later...

Our AIGA chapter at West Chester hosted a screening of this last year. Surprisingly, a bunch of people(i.e. non-art students) actually came to the screening. We had some guy come(I honestly don't remember what he was...he might've been a type-setting professor or something) had a Q&A part. He spent the whole time talking about how Optima was the best font ever.

Archived