Helvetica: the film

officeglenn

Our AIGA chapter at West Chester hosted a screening of this last year. Surprisingly, a bunch of people(i.e. non-art students) actually came to the screening. We had some guy come(I honestly don't remember what he was...he might've been a type-setting professor or something) had a Q&A part. He spent the whole time talking about how Optima was the best font ever.

Did you tell him that he is a dick?

Our AIGA chapter at West Chester hosted a screening of this last year. Surprisingly, a bunch of people(i.e. non-art students) actually came to the screening. We had some guy come(I honestly don't remember what he was...he might've been a type-setting professor or something) had a Q&A part. He spent the whole time talking about how Optima was the best font ever.

Did you tell him that he is a dick?

Haha, no. I think I was watching a Red Wings playoff game on my laptop during the Q&A part. That and MLB gameday made 3-hour art history classes worthwhile. We went right from art history to the theatre to watch the film.

Optima is pretty great but if it's not in all caps it always makes me think of medical journals from the 1980s.

I watched this. Apparently this was edited down to about 55 minutes, but it was still interesting to hear people's takes on typography. That one woman is burned. out., though, the one who says that Helvetica represents the Vietnam War and the Reagan Administration. Well, okay.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I saw this at a screening last month, really enjoyed it. One of the designers interviewed referred to Helvetica as being everywhere, if it were a food it'd be McDonalds, it's :censored:. Some suprisingly funny moments in documentary about a typeface.

Oh and the passed out buttons, one white with black text that read "I love Helvetica" and the other in reverse the reads "I Hate Helevetica"

RobbyBox2.jpg

Archived