April 18th, 2007

Swiss

I had no idea what that was, so I looked it up. It refers to Diego Maradona, and from Wikipedia:

"Maradona won various trophies with Boca Juniors, FC Barcelona and SSC Napoli over the course of his career. During an international career that included 91 caps and 34 goals, he played in four FIFA World Cup tournaments, leading the Argentina national team to its victory over West Germany in 1986, in which he collected the Golden Ball award as the tournament's best player. His second goal against England in the quarter-finals of the '86 tournament -- a spectacular 60-meter weave through six England players -- is commonly referred to as "The Goal of the Century.""

I watch the video, and yes, definitely impressive.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Yeah, that's why the Messi's goal is called as a "Maradonian goal"... sort of baseball's The Catch.

But... Maradona done the trick against a strong national selection like England in a World Cup and Messi against a simple Spanish team in a local cup. But it doesn't matter! It was very funny watching the newest goal!!!

Look at those pics... the goalies are in the same position and their cheeks are equal.

655529.jpg

655524.jpg

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

April 18 is also a great day in sports history. April 18, 1946 is Jackie Robinson's professional debut in baseball.

While April 15 is widely separated (and should be), Jackie was a paid member of the Dodger organization in 1946 and had three hits and a homerun in his debut on April 18, 1946.

Don't forget that Golden State Warriors ended a 13-year playoff drought by clinching the 8th seed.

Thanks for adding it to this thread!

And I turned 35. What a day!

So for you... ¡feliz cumpleaños! Happy Birthday to you! Heureux Anniversaire pour toi!

April 18 is also a great day in sports history. April 18, 1946 is Jackie Robinson's professional debut in baseball.

While April 15 is widely separated (and should be), Jackie was a paid member of the Dodger organization in 1946 and had three hits and a homerun in his debut on April 18, 1946.

That's true! So April 18th was a very nice day for sports!

pennants.png

In baseball Mark Buerhle pitched a no-hitter.

And in soccer, Lionel Messi made a Maradonian goal. :blink:

If you want to see the video, go to YouTube.com. Enjoy it!

*phew* I thought you referring to this goal. :mad:

Hand_of_God_goal.jpg

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

*image removed

That 'goal' there is why I will never consider Maradonna truly great player. Truly great players don't have to cheat. That's why Pele is pure class.

I'm english and was 5 when the little :censored: punched that ball in. The other goal is still the best I've ever seen in my lifetime.

That 'goal' there is why I will never consider Maradonna truly great player. Truly great players don't have to cheat. That's why Pele is pure class.

I'm english and was 5 when the little :censored: punched that ball in. The other goal is still the best I've ever seen in my lifetime.

<Thousands of English fans chanting>They won the match, but we still own the Falklands!</Thousands of English fans chanting>

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

*image removed

The thing is that Argentineans hate Englishmen because of the Malvinas' stuff. They considered that a burglar that stole to another burglar gets 100 years of pardon.

Not just my thought but that's the usual thought of every Argentinean.

And Argentineans used to say that the first goal values zero and the second values the double so Argentina 2 vs England 1 is okay.

And Pele when he was young used to kick the shin of the rivals. So don't think he was a saint.

<Thousands of English fans chanting>They won the match, but we still own the Falklands!</Thousands of English fans chanting>

No, common Englishmen don't own the Malvinas. The Falkland Islands Company owns the islands since the 1833 English invasion.

pennants.png

Hand_of_God_goal.jpg

Me too. I was thinking "What, some guy smacked a ball into the goal volleyball style?"

And Ray Hudson in the Ronaldinho video is freaking hilarious. "As electrifying as a hair dryer thrown into a bathtub." Classic line.

Hand_of_God_goal.jpg

Me too. I was thinking "What, some guy smacked a ball into the goal volleyball style?"

And Ray Hudson in the Ronaldinho video is freaking hilarious. "As electrifying as a hair dryer thrown into a bathtub." Classic line.

I thought I was the only one getting a kick out of the announcers in that video there for a sec.

-E.A.R.

Hand_of_God_goal.jpg

I thought I was the only one getting a kick out of the announcers in that video there for a sec.

-E.A.R.

I would watch any game that guy announces for the commentary. He is one of the most entertaining announcers I have ever heard. His accent makes it even better.

saBS.png

I'm more partial to Ibrahimovic's goal from a few years back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUXFGuu2LUw

Just listen to the audio from that one. I'm not sure what language that was or what he was saying exactly, but it sounded hilarious. Also, interestingly enough, more understandable to the average English speaker than any Bob Cole/Harry Neale narration.

Or Ronaldinho's goal from earlier this season

"As electrifying as a hair dryer thrown into a hot tub my friend..."

"Like Betamax, they do not make them like him anymore..."

"Absolutely bamboozles his defender with this virtuoso goal, and little blondie says 'I want to be like him'..."

"[player] is just a spectator, looks down at him and says 'That's not human'. And it is not. It is supa-human."

This guy's like Pierre McGuire with a thesaurus and a hilarious accent. :D

I could watch those over and over...

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

I'm more partial to Ibrahimovic's goal from a few years back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUXFGuu2LUw

Just listen to the audio from that one. I'm not sure what language that was or what he was saying exactly, but it sounded hilarious. Also, interestingly enough, more understandable to the average English speaker than any Bob Cole/Harry Neale narration.

Or Ronaldinho's goal from earlier this season

"As electrifying as a hair dryer thrown into a hot tub my friend..."

"Like Betamax, they do not make them like him anymore..."

"Absolutely bamboozles his defender with this virtuoso goal, and little blondie says 'I want to be like him'..."

"[player] is just a spectator, looks down at him and says 'That's not human'. And it is not. It is supa-human."

This guy's like Pierre McGuire with a thesaurus and a hilarious accent. :D

I could watch those over and over...

The commentary on the Ibrahimovic goal is in Dutch (Ibrahimovic was with Ajax at the time)

... and yeah, I just love that commentary on the Ronaldinho goal. I did not even know about until just before I posted it. I heard another English commentary version before, but nothing like that one :lol:

I saw, I came, I left.

No, common Englishmen don't own the Malvinas. The Falkland Islands Company owns the islands since the 1833 English invasion.

English fans have chanted that when they play Argentina since the 1982 war, like how they chant "Two World Wars and ONE WORLD CUP!" when they play Germany.

Archived