Bob Costas is broadcasting an Iowa Cubs Game

EatSleepJeep

Costas also asserted that Bonds probably would have made the hall without steroids. He would have finished out at ~600 HR and probably wouldn't hold the single season record, but he still would have been recognized as an extremely gifted ballplayer.

That said, I really don't think steroids is a big deal, but that's just me. I don't hate Bonds because of steroids, because baseball has been ripe with cheating since DAY ONE. Also I think steroids can be used safely, if it was out of the closet and administered, monitored with sufficient medical expertise.

Bingo.

Steroids wouldn't affect the eye-hand coordination to hit a pitch.

My beef with Barry Bonds (and MLB) is that they don't limit (unless there's a recent rule change I haven't heard about) the amount of protectional padding a batter can wear. Bonds and other players have no reason to back off the plate since all the padding they wear softens the blows they receive when they get hit by pitches. Also, pitchers are handcuffed now since they're fearful of receiving fines/suspensions for pitches the Commissioner's Office deems offensive.

Homerun numbers were up because of the amount of padding batters can wear, smaller ballparks, diluted pitching talent, and tightly-wound baseballs. Not because of steroids.

Steriods actually do improve eyesight to a point where you see better than 20/20. I know because I had vision like that and despite my portly physique, I was tested for steriods far more frequently than anyone else on my baseball team. Apparently they red flagged me after my physical.

My beef with Bonds is not steroids, my beef is that he's a nasty jerk. I mean a real jerk. He's abusive to fans, to reporters, to fellow players and just about everyone that loves the game. He's arrogant, self-centered and abusive. Hell, he even abandoned the union, and negotiates licensing deals separately for extra cash, for baseball cards and the works, all of which robs player's pensions and other funds used by the player's association.

He's very hard to like as a person, so why should I root for him to break the record?

On the contrary, that's why I'm cheering for him to break this record. Nice guys are boring. Barry Bonds is becoming a very hated player and it will please me immensely to see him ruin all of these hypocritical baseball purists and stat junkies' lives.

With that said, I don't care if anyone takes steroids either (and I'm not even sure if Bonds did). I want to see the best athletes and the best performances in major league and Olympic sports. Hell, I think we should require pro athletes to use performance-enhancing drugs!

Steriods actually do improve eyesight to a point where you see better than 20/20.

I think steroids increase the speed at which muscles develop (especially when mixed with exercise), and added muscles can increase bat speed in theory. Any baseball but can tell you its bat-speed that matters most when trying to get hits, but you still need muscle to power the ball over the fence.

Clearly, given what others have written, steroids mixed with certain work out regimen, increased bat-speed, a highly valuable commodity.

I agree also with an earlier point that the ball, the fences and watered-down pitching also contributed to Bonds' rise. In the year McGwire and Sosa went nuts the ball seemed particularly juiced. It was a ball I think even Buddy Biancalana could have driven over the fence a few times.

I don't have a major issue with this, as Babe Ruth enjoyed a fresh new ball introduced in 1920 designed to go further, he enjoyed a ban on scuffing, spitting and shining the ball, and he enjoyed a nifty right-field porch in Yankee stadium that was tailor made for him.

That said, I really don't think steroids is a big deal, but that's just me. I don't hate Bonds because of steroids, because baseball has been ripe with cheating since DAY ONE. Also I think steroids can be used safely, if it was out of the closet and administered, monitored with sufficient medical expertise.

Bingo.

Steroids wouldn't affect the eye-hand coordination to hit a pitch.

My beef with Barry Bonds (and MLB) is that they don't limit (unless there's a recent rule change I haven't heard about) the amount of protectional padding a batter can wear. Bonds and other players have no reason to back off the plate since all the padding they wear softens the blows they receive when they get hit by pitches. Also, pitchers are handcuffed now since they're fearful of receiving fines/suspensions for pitches the Commissioner's Office deems offensive.

Homerun numbers were up because of the amount of padding batters can wear, smaller ballparks, diluted pitching talent, and tightly-wound baseballs. Not because of steroids.

Steriods actually do improve eyesight to a point where you see better than 20/20. I know because I had vision like that and despite my portly physique, I was tested for steriods far more frequently than anyone else on my baseball team. Apparently they red flagged me after my physical.

I gotta agree with all of your points except for steroids didn't contribute to home run numbers, Hedley. Now I don't think steroids improve eyesight, but SouthSidePride says they do and I won't dispute his claim. However, to say that steroids didn't boost the amount of home runs, I think, is wrong. Yes steroids, don't (or can) (slightly) improve your eyesight, however, steroids will turn a double off the wall or a triple in the gap into a home run.

-E.A.R.

So if someone has corrective surgery to their eyes that surpasses 20/20, they should be banned for performance-enhancing surgery?

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

So if someone has corrective surgery to their eyes that surpasses 20/20, they should be banned for performance-enhancing surgery?

Only if their eyeballs need a 48-DDD cup.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Only if their eyeballs need a 48-DDD cup.

Well played, Tom. :blink:

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

In that case then you might as well put an asterisk next to Tiger Woods' major victories since he got laser eye surgery.

In that case then you might as well put an asterisk next to Tiger Woods' major victories since he got laser eye surgery.

Thats different Lasik surgery is legal steroids are not in the USA.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Thats different Lasik surgery is legal steroids are not in the USA.

What if they took it in Mexico?

Archived