San Jose Sharks patch in memory of goaltending coach

GreenShoe

fullj_getty-73896472jj019_nashville.jpg

SAN JOSE, CA - APRIL 18: Joe Thornton #19 of the San Jose Sharks wears a patch in memory of Warren Strelow who was the Sharks goaltending coach who passed away recently, during his game against the Nashville Predators during Game 4 of the 2007 Western Conference Quarterfinals on April 18, 2007 at the HP Pavillion in San Jose, California. (Photo by Jed Jacobsohn/Getty Images)

Its actually a real nice tribute...

...but this IS a sports logos board sooooo...my only problem is that the initials spell out the word 'WAS'. I can't get that out of my head when I look at the patch. Why didn't they put dots in between the letters or use his first name?

I've always liked when teams honored an important person in their organization with a nickname or first name like when the Jets had 'WEEB' on their helmets. It feels more personal. In any case its still real nice that the Sharks went as far as to have a patch regardless of what it looks like.

...but this IS a sports logos board sooooo...my only problem is that the initials spell out the word 'WAS'. I can't get that out of my head when I look at the patch. Why didn't they put dots in between the letters or use his first name?

I've always liked when teams honored an important person in their organization with a nickname or first name like when the Jets had 'WEEB' on their helmets. It feels more personal. In any case its still real nice that the Sharks went as far as to have a patch regardless of what it looks like.

I agree completely! If I'd never seen hockey, I would think the team was the Washington Sharks from the picture.

I agree completely! If I'd never seen hockey, I would think the team was the Washington Sharks from the picture.

It's a nice, well executed patch. I'm a bit suprised that a goalie coach was high enough up the ladder to get a patch though. I guess it all depends on who long people have been with the team and other personal factors within the organization.

As far as "WAS" goes, perhaps just "WS" would have done the job in this case.

Warren sure was highly regarded as a coach and had lingering health issues for quite some time. He'll be missed.

It's a nice, well executed patch. I'm a bit suprised that a goalie coach was high enough up the ladder to get a patch though. I guess it all depends on who long people have been with the team and other personal factors within the organization.

As far as "WAS" goes, perhaps just "WS" would have done the job in this case.

Warren sure was highly regarded as a coach and had lingering health issues for quite some time. He'll be missed.

Yes...even a simle 'WS' would have looked better indeed

I have to say that when that whole 'teal/aqua rush' happened in uniform and logo design in the 90's the only new team that I really ever liked it on was the Sharks. Till this day the first team I think about concerning Teal and Black color scheme I think of them. The Sharks' color scheme makes the most sense out of all of the other teal teams considering the team name and identity.

Archived