The New Metrodome?

vikmurphy

The stadium reminds me of a hybrid stadium, crossed between Seattle's Qwest Field and Detroit's Ford Field.

I do agree, cut costs on the Vikes stadium and give the roof to a venue that could actually use a roof by giving the Twins a roof on their ballpark....baseball isn't meant for snow, but football is.

The proposed stadium does have a retractable roof.

I don't know much about the events held in the Metrodome, but I'm willing to take a guess in that the new stadium needs to hold events during the winter months that the Metrodome currently holds.

I saw, I came, I left.

I dunno about the real football part of it. The snow can get pretty bad up there, despite the romantic appeal of a snowy gridiron in the Minnesota tundra. By putting a roof on the place you can host a wider variety of events and use the stadium the entire year, plus it'll save money on repairing the damages done by having it be open air.

paying $954 mil for a complex would be worth it, if they feel they can attract enough big-time events for it year-wide.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I dunno about the real football part of it. The snow can get pretty bad up there, despite the romantic appeal of a snowy gridiron in the Minnesota tundra. By putting a roof on the place you can host a wider variety of events and use the stadium the entire year, plus it'll save money on repairing the damages done by having it be open air.

paying $954 mil for a complex would be worth it, if they feel they can attract enough big-time events for it year-wide.

They're definatly thinking big-time, and I think, specifically big-time events (Metrodome hosted the Final Four in 2001 and 1992, Super Bowl XXVI, etc.) which are outgrowing the conventional domed stadiums... I can't imagine you'll see either event at the Metrodome again. If the Twin Cities are to get either (let alone the other smaller "big" events), they need a facility like this.

As to the "snowy gridiron," people are already complaining about the new Twins stadium not having a roof (and it won't open for 3 years), and they play in the spring, summer and fall. I can't imagine what folks would say if a new Vikings stadium were approved without one...

Moose

I wish the Lions did not have a rough either it would be awesome if that whole division was open air cold fields.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I live in Minnesota and i don't think this is gonna happen the Vikings have been posting new stadium plans in their game programs for years now and they always have been competing with the twins thinking there gonna get it over them but they didn't it may be a few more years at least before they would probably start that

Go Lakers

I think that the open-air gridiron is simply not cost-effective. Teams like the Patriots were bold enough to not have a roof, but the thing is the pats have played outdoors for years and could use the weather to their advantage. The Vikings have been in a dome for years and years, so making the switch to appeal to gridiron hardasses might be a disadvantage. Not to mention that in the cold winter months fans might not be so apt to get seats.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

How will it host monster truck events?

It is true that the HHH Dome is the only place to host the World Series, the SuperBowl, and the Final 4.

(And did it all in the same year - 1991, I might add. And the Special Olympic were in that building that year, too. Also in 1991 the Met Center hosted the Stanley Cup Finals and Hazeltine hosted the USOpen.)

1991 was a good year for Minnesota sports.

Is this a totally new design? I thought I saw drawings of a proposed football stadium that had two giant "arches" on either of the long sides, that acted as frames for the sliding roof. It looked very modern, and very cool.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Is this a totally new design? I thought I saw drawings of a proposed football stadium that had two giant "arches" on either of the long sides, that acted as frames for the sliding roof. It looked very modern, and very cool.

I believe this is a new design. The two arches was shown a while back. I don't know where they were going to put it.

Archived