Champions League Hockey

cleckie

TSN.ca Story

The International Ice Hockey Federation is proposing a Champions League format which would pit the top club teams in Europe against each other in a tournament similar to soccer's Champions League.

Very cool IMO. I hope it gets off the ground. Could make for some great hockey!

TSN.ca Story

The International Ice Hockey Federation is proposing a Champions League format which would pit the top club teams in Europe against each other in a tournament similar to soccer's Champions League.

Isn't this the Spengler Cup?

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

TSN.ca Story

Isn't this the Spengler Cup?

The Spengler is an invitation tournament, isn't it?

I saw, I came, I left.

Sounds interesting, but why do they want the NHL involved? It's just pointless, the NHL players have no reason to try in a game against the European Champion. They already get paid top dollar in the highest calibre league in the world.

Great idea if it stays in Europe, only. Once the NHL in involved i think it's just more of a publicity type event.

untitled-6.jpg

Sounds interesting, but why do they want the NHL involved? It's just pointless, the NHL players have no reason to try in a game against the European Champion. They already get paid top dollar in the highest calibre league in the world.

Great idea if it stays in Europe, only. Once the NHL in involved i think it's just more of a publicity type event.

I think it's more of an incentive for the European teams to play well. So they get the chance to play for a "world championship". Otherwise, they'll probably just play secondary rosters and ignore it. International club competitions aren't very popular in hockey. (The Spengler Cup is really the only one that gets any attention. But it's just an invitational tournament. Not a true club champions competition.)

I just hope there's plenty of home games instead of playing all the games at a neutral site like the European Champions Cup does. Only the final game should be at a neutral site in my opinion.

This would be a great thing for the NHL Network to pick up. (If only the U.S. got it like we were supposed to LAST YEAR)

they already have something similar, though just for the top nations in Europe, known as the European Champions Cup.

http://www.iihf.com/hockey/ECC/2007ECC_Startup.htm

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

This would be a great thing for the NHL Network to pick up. (If only the U.S. got it like we were supposed to LAST YEAR)

that should be on ESPN.

I wouldn't get your hopes up. ESPN wants nothing to do with hockey.

Archived