Sabres to Wear Throwbacks Tonight

jerry78n

No overpaid loafers, or whiny malcontents on that team, just solid teamwork.

I don't understand how anyone could not at least appreciate the way the Sabres are put together and how they play.

By this logic, the Devils would be America's sweethearts. The Sabres are the darlings of the NHL because they are just starting to come into their own. People root for teams like this when they are just starting to get good. After a while, people get tired of them and start to resent them. Think Duke basketball and to a lesser extent, the Patriots. Not a knock on Buffalo. Just an observation.

Yeah, but Brodeur has the rep of a cranky whiner now. Fair or not.

and the sabres fans/coach/organization-as-a-whole doesn't?

have they ever lost a playoff series that wasn't controversial?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No overpaid loafers, or whiny malcontents on that team, just solid teamwork.

I don't understand how anyone could not at least appreciate the way the Sabres are put together and how they play.

By this logic, the Devils would be America's sweethearts. The Sabres are the darlings of the NHL because they are just starting to come into their own. People root for teams like this when they are just starting to get good. After a while, people get tired of them and start to resent them. Think Duke basketball and to a lesser extent, the Patriots. Not a knock on Buffalo. Just an observation.

Yeah, but Brodeur has the rep of a cranky whiner now. Fair or not.

and the sabres fans/coach/organization-as-a-whole doesn't?

have they ever lost a playoff series that wasn't controversial?

Agreed. The whole no goal thing is old now. My problem with the fans (the ones at the games anyway) is that every time a Sabres player hits the ice, they scream bloody murder for a call. Dont believe me, keep watching them in the coming games. That is one of the reasons people have the impression that they have bandwagon fans, hockey is a rough sport, your players will get hit sometimes. It happens, deal.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Agreed. The whole no goal thing is old now. My problem with the fans (the ones at the games anyway) is that every time a Sabres player hits the ice, they scream bloody murder for a call. Dont believe me, keep watching them in the coming games. That is one of the reasons people have the impression that they have bandwagon fans, hockey is a rough sport, your players will get hit sometimes. It happens, deal.

Sabres fans are still upset over losing Game Six on a bad call? Sabres fans like their players more than the other team? Sounds to me like Sabres fans are sports fans -- nothing more and nothing less.

And, come on, you're a fan of the Flyers. I can't think of a more absurd fan base than Philadelphia for its teams.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

It is interesting to see that the people with the biggest problem with the Sabres seem to be Devils, Stars, Flyers, & Islanders fans. I guess that just goes to show that even the most well-intentioned fan of any team is still a fan and prefers them to any other team. That being said, I don't think the Sabres get a fair shake that much around here. Whether it be the perceived logo/uniform disaster, the reputation of the players, or the conduct of the fans, we never get the benefit of the doubt...

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

Philadelphia gets a bad name for fans basically from the media. It is blown way out of proportion. As an Eagles season ticket holder in the nose bleeds (yes, amongst the former members of the 700 level) it is not even close as to what people say it is. Guys walk through our section with the opposing jersey all the time. Dont get me wrong, they hear about it. But, its not like he get assualted upon arrival like the media wants you to think. The people that do get harrassed to no end are the people that stand up, flip everyone off, and try to fight the whole section. That, in most stadiums, will get you into some trouble.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

How do they plan on doing that? NHL make an exception for them?

I don't know that there is a "no alts" or "only two jerseys" rule. During an interview, Dave Nonis, the Vancouver GM was asked about whether the Canucks would wear their throw-backs at all, and he said they could if they chose to, and this was after they'd worn the Orca both home and away.

Now that you mention it, I wouldn't be surprised if they wear the throwbacks on Monday for game 7.

They might as well. Nothing else seems to be working.

I was just watching CBC and while the whole Canucks team was wearing the practice jerseys w/ the orca logo on the (they do have a vintage set too I beleive) Luongo was wearing his royal/green/white pads and white mask, maybe to get them ready for the next game? Would make sense to me that the goalie would go with the pads he was gonna use. Just a thought.

SEAsig.png

I was just watching CBC and while the whole Canucks team was wearing the practice jerseys w/ the orca logo on the (they do have a vintage set too I beleive) Luongo was wearing his royal/green/white pads and white mask, maybe to get them ready for the next game? Would make sense to me that the goalie would go with the pads he was gonna use. Just a thought.

I am hearing that they will be...

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

How do they plan on doing that? NHL make an exception for them?

I dont think there ever was a rule that says you can only have 1 home and 1 away. Larry Quinn said at the beginning of the year that they would wear the throwbacks in a series clinching game at home. I think he would know the rules better than you guys. But, then again, the NHL loves Buffalo so maybe they did make an exception.

Well there was. Not anymore apparently. Guess the NHL doesn't care anymore since all these uniforms will be replaced by the EDGEs next year anyway.

I believe the rule was put in place back in 2001(?) when the LA Kings wore their thirds against the Red Wings. That's why teams like the Ducks, Wild, Flames, etc have used their thirds as home uniforms in the playoffs as they could only pick one dark uniform to represent them at home in the entire playoffs.

I love over-confidence

Oh I'm not a Rangers fan, far from it. Just a Sabres hater :hockeysmiley:

Sabres-hater? I'm not a fan of theirs, but they seem very likeable. No overpaid loafers, or whiny malcontents on that team, just solid teamwork. I like 'em.

Exactly. I don't understand how anyone could not at least appreciate the way the Sabres are put together and how they play. Just because they don't have the most popular and maybe most polarizing jerseys in hockey doesn't make them hateable...

I'm happy you feel that way, but that's why we all have opinions.

I didn't say I don't respect them; I have a lot of respect for Chris Drury and I admit they're a fast and talented team. But sorry, I just really don't like them. I don't care if they're all their little town has, or if people feel they're due since they've had bad luck for so long. They have awful uniforms, a ridiculously shameless homer announcer, and I just really wanna see them lose. So sue me.

Everybody has a homer announcer.

Anyway, I don't like the idea of wearing throwbacks in the playoffs. This isn't the old Buffalo Sabres of the 70s-90s, who never really won anything. This is the new, promising Buffalo Sabres of 2007 who, like it or not, are represented by these navy, silver and gold uniforms and their weird yellow logo.

It is interesting to see that the people with the biggest problem with the Sabres seem to be Devils, Stars, Flyers, & Islanders fans. I guess that just goes to show that even the most well-intentioned fan of any team is still a fan and prefers them to any other team. That being said, I don't think the Sabres get a fair shake that much around here. Whether it be the perceived logo/uniform disaster, the reputation of the players, or the conduct of the fans, we never get the benefit of the doubt...

I have no problem with the Sabres. In fact, I like them. I went to a game in January and got bought a "One Team, One Goal" t-shirt. I was only trying to point out the fact that there is a fine line between the plucky little guy that everyone pulls for and the team that everyone loves to hate. The Sabres are currently in the first group and I hope they don't enter the second.

BCBannersSig.png

I have no problem with the Sabres. In fact, I like them. I went to a game in January and got bought a "One Team, One Goal" t-shirt. I was only trying to point out the fact that there is a fine line between the plucky little guy that everyone pulls for and the team that everyone loves to hate. The Sabres are currently in the first group and I hope they don't enter the second.

If they win the title, I bet you they'll enter the second group rather quickly. Success has a way of grating on the rest of the public. Look at your Devils, I remember when they were the plucky upstart back in 95. By 2003, a lot of the media gave 'em so much stick for their neutral zone trapping and they're "painful to watch". Definitely unfair.

There's a difference between a homer announcer and a guy that makes me wanna throw a brick through my TV every time I'm watching a Sabres game on Center Ice and they score a goal....but I digress.

I'm dreading the inevitable, sappy "Buffalo: hard luck, blue collar town finally gets the glory" crap that's sure to be crammed down our throats ad nauseum if they get to the finals. Going to live feeds of Buffalo bars every time they score a goal....*gag*

Over-under on how many times they'll reference Scott Norwood and Brett Hull?

As a Leafs fan I have an excuse to hate the Sabres :P

Seriously though, I wouldn't have a problem cheering for them if it wasn't for the Buffaslug. I know that seems shallow, and it is. It's just that I know if they win the Cup with the Buffaslug it'll more or less become permanent when it should go the way of the Islanders Fisherman (although IMO the Fisherman was better).

Still, even if they won the Cup with the slug it wouldn't be that bad. I have nothing against the Sabres as a team (I always considered their rivalry with the Leafs a friendlier rivalry), and I guess I could get used to the Buffaslug, kind of like someone gets used to a numb, lingering pain in one of their extremities.

As for homer announcers, nothing compares to Bobby "The Chief" Taylor for the Lightning. The man is brutal. Anytime a penalty is called against Tampa Bay he acts like the rest of the league is part of an anti-Lightning conspiracy.

There's a difference between a homer announcer and a guy that makes me wanna throw a brick through my TV every time I'm watching a Sabres game on Center Ice and they score a goal....but I digress.

How does Rick Jeanneret make you want to throw a brick through your tv? Just becuase he has a passion for his team? The man has had some of the most memorable calls in NHL history. Hes a great announcer.

Magic07.jpg

How does Rick Jeanneret make you want to throw a brick through your tv? Just becuase he has a passion for his team? The man has had some of the most memorable calls in NHL history. Hes a great announcer.

When a team I like is playing the Sabres, and Buffalo scores and I am subjected to a goal call that lasts about five minutes. Not to mention every time they enter the attacking zone, he sounds like he's about to jump out of his seat with excitement, however significant a scoring chance they might have.

Also, he calls Chris Drury "Drewwwwwwwry".

When a team I like is playing the Sabres, and Buffalo scores and I am subjected to a goal call that lasts about five minutes. Not to mention every time they enter the attacking zone, he sounds like he's about to jump out of his seat with excitement, however significant a scoring chance they might have.

Also, he calls Chris Drury "Drewwwwwwwry".

I for one would rather have an announcer that sounds genuinely excited than the fake excitment or antiseptic quality that the national announcers usually have.

starpoint.pngclippers.pngbullsnew.gif

Archived