Another long gone football uniform style

Spearhead

This jersey style appeared in the late 1960s and was popular through the mid 1970s:

45081387_o.jpg

45081378_o.jpg

45081380_o.jpg

45081389_o.jpg

I always liked the look. Auburn really made it a trademark. As a player I wore this style for early season games and it did feel better. Any reason why this mesh style is no longer worn?

FsQiF2W.png

Probably because it gets torn really easily.

I knew someone would say that, but our ultra-mesh jerseys rarely tore. You were more likely to break your fingers off clutching the fishnet.

FsQiF2W.png

It's also very, VERY difficult to see the numbers from a distance. And I have a feeling officials complained that they couldn't identify players who were called for penalties.

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

The Philadelphia Eagles used jerseys like that for a while, right? I never minded it too much, but if the officials complained about not seeing numbers, that seems like a valid reason to stop their use.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

The number issue is a good one. But coaches often used that to their advantage, hiding the white numerals against the white shoulder pads.

Yeah the Eagles were, I believe, the only NFL team to go fishnet. Though I think the Giants also had them.

FsQiF2W.png

The number issue is a good one. But coaches often used that to their advantage, hiding the white numerals against the white shoulder pads.

Yeah the Eagles were, I believe, the only NFL team to go fishnet. Though I think the Giants also had them.

I think they were also worn by the Buccaneers and the Redskins for a while as well. And the Seahawks, which was a surprise since they played in the climate-controlled Kingdome at the time.

I think they were also worn by the Buccaneers and the Redskins for a while as well. And the Seahawks, which was a surprise since they played in the climate-controlled Kingdome at the time.

the seahawks wore those well into the 80s.

I watched Earl Campbell (Houston Oilers & N.O. Saints) shred a few of those jerseys.

I know the high school in Austin, TX (1970s) wore them. I tried to find a picture of one - to no avail.

Here's Earl at Texas.

earl_campbell_universityoftexas.jpg

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived