New Utica College Logo

KCScout76

Utica Pioneers have a new logo - pretty cool IMO.

I love it!!! Guess who's the artist is - a local fella from our boards (at least he's around from time to time)

Say what you want - Love the moose!!! Best moose logo since Sterlings!!!

UticaPioneers.gif

UCinterlockingLTRS.jpg

Utica College Pioneers Utica College has introduced a new athletic graphic identity to promote the institution’s 21 Division III intercollegiate athletic teams as well as its intramural program. The new look, described as contemporary and kinetic, includes a new primary logo, wordmark, and secondary logos.

The new primary logo features the UC mascot, Trax the Pioneer Moose, which has become a popular symbol of the College’s campus and athletic spirit since its introduction in August 2003. The design of the wordmark, which features ‘Utica’ in white with gray accent and the team name ‘Pioneers’ in blue on orange reverse type, is dimensional and strong. The family of logos also includes a secondary mark featuring an interlocking UC, a longstanding icon of the College’s academic and athletic tradition.

“This new identity represents the past, present, and future of Utica College athletics,” says Jim Spartano, director of physical education and athletics. “It incorporates the moose mascot that fans, especially our students, have really embraced, while representing the traditions associated with Utica Pioneers in a more bold manner.”

UC graphic designer Larry Pacilio adds, “The expansion of our athletic program, and the increased exposure that the success of our teams has generated has really underscored the longstanding need for a strong, uniform identity specific to UC athletics. That kind of symbolic unity is the norm, not the exception, in college sports, and I think this design not only fills but exceeds that mandate.”

The new athletic graphic identity was conceptualized and designed by the Joe Bosack Graphic Design Co. of Pennsylvania, which has created identities for the National Hockey League and colleges and universities at the Division I, II, and III levels, as well as non-sporting enterprises such as Island/Def Jam Records and Warner Bros. A committee representative of several areas of the campus community was formed to review Bosack’s proposals and solicit feedback from UC students and alumni.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Utica, New York - on the website, they stated that the moose was a local favorite and they wanted something to represent that region that was unique. I believe they've captured that spirit. Great logo, DIII school or any school - too bad there are a lot of colleges/universities with some really bad (ABA style) logos.

Here is the link: Utica College Pioneers_new logo

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I lived in upstate/Western New York for 19 years and never once saw a Moose. However, I never knew the grizzly bear to frequent Memphis or velociraptors to frequent Toronto, so I suppose it's okay.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I lived in upstate/Western New York for 19 years and never once saw a Moose. However, I never knew the grizzly bear to frequent Memphis or velociraptors to frequent Toronto, so I suppose it's okay.

You're right, there are probably no Moose in downtown Utica, but I think if they were to be literal, post-industrial urban blight doesn't make for good logos ;)

The idea behind the moose is from a few years ago when the school added a mascot to it's athletic games, his name is TRAX the moose.

I can't say why a moose = pioneer, but it sure beats some of the pioneer logos that are out there. (outside of one good pioneers logo, can you think of any good ones).

I like the direction they have taken - anyone have a logo of "a mascot" that does not match up with the name. Examples anyone???

I like the direction they have taken - anyone have a logo of "a mascot" that does not match up with the name. Examples anyone???

But a pioneer is something that can used in a logo.

An "Athletic" cannot be conceived in a log or mascot, nor...

Stanford "Cardinal"

Dartmouth "Big Green"

so they use something else, a tree, a moose, a keg, etc.

Archived