Padres hat history?

AndrewPF

What was the last MLB team to use a cap with a different-colored front crown? And were the padres the last time to use a different-colored front crown that didn't match the seam panels?

I think Gothomite is right that the 1992 Blue Jays were the last to wear a cap with a different colored front crown.

However, I believe the Padres were the only team to ever wear a cap where the front color wasn't just the front two panels of the cap. Some of the other team's batting helmets had that triangle style pattern on the front, but not the caps.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What was the last MLB team to use a cap with a different-colored front crown? And were the padres the last time to use a different-colored front crown that didn't match the seam panels?

I think Gothomite is right that the 1992 Blue Jays were the last to wear a cap with a different colored front crown.

However, I believe the Padres were the only team to ever wear a cap where the front color wasn't just the front two panels of the cap. Some of the other team's batting helmets had that triangle style pattern on the front, but not the caps.

Correct on both accounts (which means that Goth was correct... giving credit where it's due), so far as I know. Oddly enough, I own both caps, and I used to have the matching (pullover) jerseys when I was a kid. Somebody customized the Padres jersey (#38, no name), and I got pissed off because the numbering font wasn't right (not to mention they were heat-pressed, not embroidered). I was 10, so I was accursed with our common affliction even back then. :hockeysmiley:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Aw shucks, guys. You'll make me blush.

I think you're right on that. The Padres always had that strange thing where their front panel involved a whole new construction.

As a kid, it always bothered me that the Brewers would wear this batting helmet:

1011_large.jpg

but never this cap:

1_250.jpg

So yes, I too was afflicted from an early age.

I think you're right on that. The Padres always had that strange thing where their front panel involved a whole new construction.

As a kid, it always bothered me that the Brewers would wear this batting helmet:

1011_large.jpg

but never this cap:

1_250.jpg

My affliction led me to "correct" the Laich souvenir Brewers' helmet I had, changing it from the triangle with the curved sides (Twins, Blue Jays, Orioles) to what the Brew Crew correctly wore. The fact that it wasn't a yellow background bothered me, but I was more interested in getting it right back then rather than trying to be an agent for change and striving for uniformity. :D

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

My affliction led me to "correct" the Laich souvenir Brewers' helmet I had, changing it from the triangle with the curved sides (Twins, Blue Jays, Orioles) to what the Brew Crew correctly wore.

Random geometry question:

Can a triangle, by definition, have curved sides? Wiki says no.

Wikipedia -- Triangle

That being said, I have two more points to raise --

1. The buyer of the Padres cap in question got ripped off.

2. That Robin Yount photo still makes me cringe. The Orioles were so close to sweeping that series against the Brewers. :cursing:

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Wikipedia -- Triangle

Counselor, I hope that when you go to court, your strategy doesn't involve Wikipedia as an unquestioned source of information. ^_^

That said, you are correct - a triangle must have straight sides. So, in your honor and using the legalese my father taught me, I will attempt to mollify this, for you and for all.

My affliction led me to "correct" the Laich souvenir Brewers' helmet I had, changing it from the triangle with the curved sides (Twins, Blue Jays, Orioles) to what the Brew Crew correctly wore; for the purposes of this online thread post, the term "triangle" will be used to describe a shape that vaguely resembles a polygonal triangle as known from Euclidean or planar geometry that, when applied to a 3-dimensional spheroid object such as a Major League Baseball [hereafter, 'MLB'] batting helmet or a purchasible fascimile thereof offered by the Laich Corporation of Cleveland, Ohio [hereafter, 'souvenir helmet'], takes on more of a curvilinear appearance such that:

1. the aforementioned shape cannot truly be called a triangle, as the curvature of the sides of the shape renders this shape to fail to meet the criteria spelled out by the informational source currently referred to [hereafter, 'Wikipedia'];

2. the shape in question also fails to rise to the description of "polygon" as it applies to Euclidean geometry as its contours lack straight lines;

3. despite the criteria outlined in (1.) and (2.), the overall appearance of the shape most resembles the conventional triangle commonly known from Euclidean geometry; it is, therefore, in the interest of brevity and rapid comprehension of the writer [hereafter, "me" or "I"], relying on a mutual common understanding within a subsegment of the population at large with a marked and borderline-pathologic love of the minutiae of sports uniforms, logos and other insignia, to be understood and accepted that the term "triangle"

be used to describe this shape, with ex post facto acknowledgement of the fact that the shape does not meet Euclidean criteria for its consideration as a true polygonal triangle.

Better, m'lord? :D

2007nleastchamps.png

Much better, Dr. VD. How many hours are you going to bill for that?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

My affliction led me to "correct" the Laich souvenir Brewers' helmet I had, changing it from the triangle with the curved sides (Twins, Blue Jays, Orioles) to what the Brew Crew correctly wore.

Wikipedia -- Triangle

That being said, I have two more points to raise --

2. That Robin Yount photo still makes me cringe. The Orioles were so close to sweeping that series against the Brewers. :cursing:

Don Sutton owns you!

Read NINE INNINGS and weep, pal.

I LOVE that book.

It's where I sit.

well, i have a few points to make as well...

1. I didn't get it for the reason of having a throwback, i like the way it looks.

2. I got it as a gift.

3. It had MLB official license tags all over it.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

well, i have a few points to make as well...

1. I didn't get it for the reason of having a throwback, i like the way it looks.

2. I got it as a gift.

3. It had MLB official license tags all over it.

All that being said, then no worries. It just isn't a throwback, even if it is officially licensed.

1011_large.jpg

but never this cap:

1_250.jpg

That SI pic is a thing of beauty and I'll tell you why:

#1. I know I might be part of the minority here on this issue...but I loved the white front panel hats and actually miss them. (Except for maybe the Expos who looked absolutely horrid in their pinwheel caps) I really did like them and found them to be as part of the baseball look as stirrups were back then.

#2. (Perfect lead into my next point) STIRRUPS! Where did they go? They are to baseball what sleeves are to football. BRING THEM BACK!

#3. Baby Blue away jerseys. I loved them and hope the Royals usher back their return as I've read might happen in the coming years.

#4. 4 words: "Ball in glove logo". Its a classic logo that needs to be dusted off and brought back.

And that's okay.

Because I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!

StuartSmalley.jpg

I would have to go with the 72-79 model, before the orange was added, as my favorite. Not sure why, but I have always loved the old brown and yellow Padres stuff!

And speaking of their caps being wrong, Sports Products made their souvenir batting helmet wrong for years. They made the triangle the same size as the Orioles, Twins, etc, while the Pads triangle was much smaller. Fotoball took over the souvenir helmet business a couple of years ago and released a throwback line. Their version of this helmet is an embarassment! The yellow triangle is HUGE!

I believe that the Padres are going to wear this hat on the 11th of May along with the '73 uniforms. Unfortunately, the Padres stadium store will not be selling it according to the sales clerk I spoke with.

Yep, it's 70's retro night at Petco on the 11th, and I'm there! I've never been to a Padres retro night, and I can't wait!

The Pads as they oughta be........

Oh, and that picture of Yount is great. Such a great example of the overall look of baseball to those of us who grew up in the 80's......

Fantastic!

#4. 4 words: "Ball in glove logo". Its a classic logo that needs to be dusted off and brought back.

It can't possibly get that dusty between Friday home games...

Not a fan of the 'B in G' logo I take it :grin:

No, actually I like it. I was only saying that it has been dusted off and brought back, if only in limited use. But I know what you mean.

Archived