Report: Wirtz could sell 'Hawks

oz615

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hockey/blac...-hawk21.article

Report: Wirtz could sell

BLACKHAWKS | New union leader likely key to his decision

April 21, 2007

BY LACY J. BANKS lbanks@suntimes.com

Has Bill Wirtz decided to hold his 41-year ownership of the Blackhawks up for the ransom of a desirable replacement for former NHL Players Association president Bob Goodenow?

According to a report Friday by the Toronto Star, Wirtz is waiting to see who will be selected to lead the players union this summer before he decides whether to continue his association with the league or sell the Blackhawks.

''If the union hired someone like Bob, who just says you're lying whenever you say you're losing money, I'd put the team up for sale,'' Wirtz told the Star. ''And I think that might cause other owners to look at their own investments.''

Attempts to reach Wirtz on Friday were unsuccessful. But according to the Star report, the Hawks, who finished out of the playoffs for the fifth straight year, lost $31 million this season and $191 million over the last 10.

It's suspected the struggling union, which still is trying to recover from the lockout of two seasons ago, may select a new leader this summer, the Star reported. Executive director Ted Saskin is on paid suspension and is unlikely to come back.

Goodenow was NHLPA executive director for more than a decade before a group led by Suskin revolted in 2005 and ousted him.

Depending on who might buy the Hawks if Wirtz sells, it could result in more efficient management and better success on the ice. The Hawks are a highly valued franchise in the NHL because they're located in the third-largest media market in North America.

Only five of 41 Blackhawks home games were televised in Chicago this season because Wirtz believes showing too many home games on local television will short-circuit attendance at the United Center. Nevertheless, the injury-riddled Hawks, who were forced to change coaches early in the season after a poor start, still finished second-to-last in attendance this season, averaging 12,727 per game, according to the Star report.

Again if this is true,then it is beyond long overdue.

get out...right now...it's the end of you and me...it's too late and I can't wait for you to be gone cus I know you're a tightwad, and I wonder how I bought all the lies...you said that you would treat me right but it was just a waste of time

I'ma stop there, cus after that, it's just way too easy to bag on Wirtz :D

seriously, though, if anybody can find 4 'Hawks fans up here, you deserve a medal of honor. most people here spell apathy h-o-c-k-e-y. worth noting, they're the only major Chicago team we don't get on TV up here (Bears on Fox Chicago, Cubs, Sox and Bulls on WGN)

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

There isn't any NHL hockey in Chicago. :D

In a way, this is good. Then again, I'd rather see the Blackhawks continue to completely suck.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

True True....Chicago Wolves are always competitive in the AHL and the Hounds made the UHL playoffs.

There were several games where the Wolves outdrew the 'Hawks,but if this sale do happen,the 1st thing the new ownership outta do is to convince the Wolves to be their top minor league affiliate,because if Philadelphia can do it,i don't see why Chicago can.

True True....Chicago Wolves are always competitive in the AHL and the Hounds made the UHL playoffs.

There were several games where the Wolves outdrew the 'Hawks,but if this sale do happen,the 1st thing the new ownership outta do is to convince the Wolves to be their top minor league affiliate,because if Philadelphia can do it,i don't see why Chicago can.

Hey.. I doubt the Chicago Blackhawks will ask the AHL Chicago Wolves to join forces since the Blackhawks now have a 10 year agreement with the new AHL Rockford IceHogs to have players there... so unless something dramatic happen, the Wolves and Blackhawks will always be opposite of each other... ehh..

On another note, please let Wirtz vanish for good so we can see the Blackhawks return to their old glory days and be competitive...and beat the bleep out of Detroit often enough...that I wouldnt mind seeing...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

I would really love to see new Hawks ownership in place if/before the NHL goes through with the realignment plan they floated earlier this season. Then when Minnesota-Chicago becomes a division rivalry again, like it was in the North Star days, it'll actually be somewhat competitive.

CCSLC signature.png

Echoeing the statements of many in this thread...I'd want to see this happen if only for the fact that this will make them competitive since hopefully the new owner won't be scrooging it up like Wirtz did.

When people talk about the NHL's problems over the last decade or so, let's consider incompetence, mediocrity, and apathy; or as they're commonly known: the Rangers, Kings, and Blackhawks. The poor performances by the teams in the three largest markets have been murder.

It certainly hasn't helped matters any.

The NHL needs the "money markets" to succeed.

There is a god! There are no excuses not to have great hockey in Chicago.

but there is great hockey in Chicago, there just isn't any great NHL hockey in Chicago

Just wait. Toews, Kane, Havlat, Cam Barker, Seabrook, Jack Skille, that's shaping up to be an awesome team.

I like the club that they're building.

There is a god! There are no excuses not to have great hockey in Chicago.

but there is great hockey in Chicago, there just isn't any great NHL hockey in Chicago

Just wait. Toews, Kane, Havlat, Cam Barker, Seabrook, Jack Skille, that's shaping up to be an awesome team.

I like the club that they're building.

Plus factor in the #1 pick this year, and that's quite a deep talent pool... which is going to be winning lots of playoff games for NHL franchises not named "Blackhawks." The Hawks have been the hockey equivalent of the Montreal Expos for the past decade, and that's not changing any time soon. Didn't Wirtz make a big stink about selling the team in '03? If he does "sell" it, I'm betting it's going to someone else with the last name of Wirtz, with the Dollar Bill model of organ-I-zation management still being followed.

If you want to see playoff hockey in Chicago, I'll see you at the Allstate.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived