NFL Draft Question

floydnimrod

In 2003 the Bengals had the number one pick and signed Carson Palmer before the draft started that Saturday(I think this happened last year with Houston and Mario Williams). Since Carson Palmer was already signed, could the Bengals have drafted somebody else and taken Palmer in a later round, or is this forbidden by NFL rules?

I know it doesn't really making sense seeing that you would have to pay two rookies "top pick money" but hypothetically, is it possible?

I thought they could sign him, and then the second team can start negotiating with players and possibly sign one prior to the draft too (though it wouldn't make a lot of sense to do so.)

Either way, the Bengals most certainly could NOT draft someone else number one and still have had Palmer.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I thought they could sign him, and then the second team can start negotiating with players and possibly sign one prior to the draft too (though it wouldn't make a lot of sense to do so.)

Either way, the Bengals most certainly could NOT draft someone else number one and still have had Palmer.

I thought they could sign him as well, but that no other teams could do the same.

But as you say, you cannot use the signing/negotiation as a loophole to get two players.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The team picking first has the right to negotiate and sign any player in the draft before hand. The player they sign would have to be their first overall pick. If this happens the second team picking can not sign a player until after they draft them, signing before the draft is only reserved for whom is picking first.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

The team picking first has the right to negotiate and sign any player in the draft before hand. The player they sign would have to be their first overall pick. If this happens the second team picking can not sign a player until after they draft them, signing before the draft is only reserved for whom is picking first.

As a bit of history, the rule you mentioned was instituted after the 1990 draft. In 1990, the Bears really wanted USC safety Mark Carrier, but he was projected to be selected before their 6th overall pick. So they agreed to terms with him, offering him more money than the 6th overall pick was "slotted" to get, and he called the teams drafting before the Bears and pulled an Eli (told them he wouldn't sign with them if drafted). He fell to the Bears, they picked him, and the rest is history.

To prevent this from happening in the future, the NFL created the rule that prevents teams talking contract with prospects (other than the team drafting first overall) before drafting them.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Archived