Jhons Hopkins Blue Jays

sideshowbob

Okay, so I was at the Hopkins Navy lacrosse game yesterday which, by the way was a great game, and I finally decided that Hopkin's blue jay logo needs a change. I understand that it has been in use for a while and it stands for hopkins perfectly, but it needs an update. Especially with a new generation of hopkins lacosse taking over, they need to at least update the version used in association with the lacrosse program. As Im sure most of you guys have seen the current jay, it is outdated.

Here is my update of the hopkins blue jay logos. I also made a different version of the H that is currently in use on thir lacrosse helmet, C&C guys.

hopkins-ble-jays-redesign-w-1.png

ad-sig-2.png

New and Improved Adrenaline Online:

http://adrenalinedesignstudio.synthasite.com/

I think that the blue jay looks good. It is a definite upgrade over the current jay. The H looks too cartoony. I think a more traditional H would look better.

Also, you spelled JOHNS wrong.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I agree about the "H" being a bit cartoony, it would be great for a high school team - with the tradition at John Hopkins and it's Medical tradition, a Refined "H" would serve better. However, the two tone is nice. Great work on the bluejay - there aren't very many good bluejay logos out there. You'll find lots of cardinals, hawks, falcons & eagles, but very few good bluejays.

Nice work - 9.3 out of 10

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

I think a different font will work for the "HOPKINS" arch.

However, I've always like the Hopkins jay logo, especially on their national championship ring from a few years back. That thing is sweet.

champ_stonedesign_birdwithczborder.jpg

But, this one is still really nice. I would use a thicker font, though. Other than that, great job.

B)-->

QUOTE(Billy B @ Sunday, April 22nd, 2007 - 15:35:30)

I think that the blue jay looks good. It is a definite upgrade over the current jay. The H looks too cartoony. I think a more traditional H would look better.

Also, you spelled JOHNS wrong.

Really...how?

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

... It's spelled wrong in the subject title, but who cares...

This one intrigues me, and I never make comments on these. But I was at Hopkins for a while, and own a lot of gear.

Anyway, the H you have has to go. The one they currently have is distinctive in my opinion, and should get much more use than it currently does. Both in the dual-colored form, and a single-colored one. I have a sharp Hopkins cap with the Columbia Blue H on it, and it's one of the best styles I own. Maybe a small tweak or modernization would enhance it and maybe, make it good enough to use as a primary logo.

I really like where the Blue Jay logo is going, and I think if you limit how far down the blue on the back of the Blue Jay neck comes down, it could be a great look.

If you want to do some more tweaking, check out their website, Hopkinssports.com. The baseball team wears a cap logo similar to the Orioles, with a perched full-bodied Blue Jay, just like the O's. It's a very simplistic bird, similar the Oriole of the early-mid 90s. If that was either cleaned up to be more "ornothologically correct" or more modernized, it could be a great look for other Hopkins teams.

Keep up the design work on this one... I'd love to see some more samples.

I think that's the first blue jay concept I've seen that truly manages to look menacing. But the pupil looks way too forced in the name of intimidation and it gets too far away from an actual jay's eye, IMO.

You could fill it in black and add a glint of light to make it more true to the bird, and not lose a bit of the aggressiveness that the shape of the logo itself gives.

JAY: Strong. Definite upgrade there, and nicely done.

WORDMARK: Meh. Varsity is a great font for identifying players on the field, but it's a little bland for a wordmark font. There's a lot of better choices out there - and no, Copperplate and City Bold are no longer considered "better choices"... ^_^

MONOGRAM: Blaargh. "Cartoony" was putting it well. If you want to go stylized and away from the traditional block capital, that's one thing. But this looks very amateurish and undignified. Johns Hopkins [for those out there, this is the correct spelling] has a worldwide reputation for outstanding and competitive academics, and their lacrosse team is their flagship program. They're going to need something more befitting the team and the school.

OVERALL: Good start, the jay alone has serious promise, but this isn't done yet.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Okay, thanks alot for your comments guys. First off, you guys were right about the H, especially KC scout, it is a medical school, a more refined H, like the one they have, works. So I changed the H. I also made a different wordmark and cleaned up the jay a little. I tried to change the eye like milo said, but it just did not look right, maybe some more ideas for the eye?

I will definetly look into the baseball logo and see what I can do with it and I am planning on some lacrosse uniforms coming soon.

I showed these to my dad and he said I should submit them to the school. I do not know if he was serious or it was just a compliment but It is something I would like to do, If you guys think it is a good idea. Any thoughts on that?

again, thanks for the comments guys, here is an update

hopkins-ble-jays-redesign2.png

ad-sig-2.png

I showed these to my dad and he said I should submit them to the school. I do not know if he was serious or it was just a compliment but It is something I would like to do, If you guys think it is a good idea. Any thoughts on that?

Why not? What's the worst that can happen? A "Thanks but no thanks" letter?

The Jay's beak looks weird to me. Looks like his mouth is big and square. Other than that this is great.

I think that's what's getting me to, sideshow.

First off - two big thumbs up for the editing. Everything looks a thousand times better, and more in line with a school of Hopkins's stature (their undergraduate program isn't too shabby, either).

And IMO the eye looks fine, although it looks a little more reptilian than a bird's eye should. But that could be attributed to glare and reflective elements in the eye.

But there appears to be too much white in the beak. From what I remember, blue jays have black beaks. I'm not sure if they're shiny to the point where a large area would reflect white, but if that's your intent, there's too much white. Try using the blue for the reflective element for depth, and a small sliver of white to separate the upper and lower aspects of the beak. My overriding point is that the beak should be almost totally dark, be it black or blue.

Beyond that, this is definitely as good as anything they have, and as was said, what's the harm in sending it to JHU? Good work.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

alright here is another minor update, you guys had some ideas for the beak. The beak is suppost to be in sort of a growl or snarl type of motion. I rounded out the beak a little and closed the gap between the top and bottom so there was not so much white space.

So I am definetly ging to sumbit this to the university, but i have never done anything like this before. Who should I send it to? Is there some sort of format I should follow to submit it? I f you guys have any ideas or comments, like always, they are welcome.

update

jhu-redesign.png

ad-sig-2.png

Nice concept and all but it's Johns Hopkins not JHONS Hopkins.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

Very nicely done - I like what you've done with the "H". 9.7 out of 10.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived