How to use a trademark properly

lopernv

Obviously, you didn't read the article. The company is merely trying to protect their brand, just like any other company does.

CORRECT: The image was enhanced with Adobe® Photoshop® Elements software.

INCORRECT: The image was photoshopped.

INCORRECT: The image was Photoshopped.

INCORRECT: The image was Adobe® Photoshopped.

Trademarks must never be used as slang terms.

I don't think they are trying to tell the public how to use their terms, but the press and their internal people. Like I said, they are just trying to protect their identity, just like any other company out there with a corporate style guide.

If you were Adobe, would you want some schlub Paint user saying he's Photoshopping his images?

i cant believe some anally retentive c*** wrote that.

what a pointless job.

its obvious that having a trademark enter common vernacular is beneficial for a product.

"i hoovered the carpet,

i googled britneys snooch,

i photoshopped paris' head onto it"

they should be happy for gods sake.

and if they arent they can sc®ew themselves.

i cant believe some anally retentive c*** wrote that.

what a pointless job.

its obvious that having a trademark enter common vernacular is beneficial for a product.

"i hoovered the carpet,

i googled britneys snooch,

i photoshopped paris' head onto it"

they should be happy for gods sake.

and if they arent they can sc®ew themselves.

Its only beneficial until you legally lose your trademarks as they've entered common usage and you failed to protect them. If they didn't do this then another software company could claim in a few years that their software that lets you put someone's head on someone else's body is "photoshop" software because the term is in common use, and Adobe's investment in the brand is diluted, if not ruined.

liverpool-1.png

Lego did something similar back in the day - on the product catalogs that came with all the stuff it said to refer to the bricks as "Lego bricks" - not "Legos".

I called them Legos anyway.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Like Xerox, Polaroid and Hoover, they're fighting a losing battle if they think they're actually going to stop people using the word Photoshop to not mean 'changing a digital image via software'.

It's like cul8r.

If I owned the phrase See You Later, I'd be kidding myself to try and get people to spell it properly when they used it on their mobile phones.

Fair enough, this is geared to professionals and Adobe staff, but all it's going to end up doing is alienating those who use the correct terminology from those who don't, which will be the majority.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

Archived