Philadelphia Eagles 75th anniversary season

BigEd76

Why put out a throwback that almost no one living identifies and ignoring your collors and uniforms of the past fans would love to see?

Actually, I think they deserve a lot of credit for not going the cliché route of bringing back some jersey from the 60's. Seriously, how does wearing the kelly green symbolize 75 Years? If they were honoring Cunningham or Reggie White, or Jerome Brown sure. But, they are honoring and celebrating 75 years of Eagles football.

I don't think they're trying to make a fashion statement and make a ton of money off these things. They don't need to. People can't keep Eagles stuff in stock in the Delaware Valley. (Unless it's got anything to do with a certain ego named TO.)

JerseyDatabase.com - I'm that guy...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why put out a throwback that almost no one living identifies and ignoring your collors and uniforms of the past fans would love to see?

Actually, I think they deserve a lot of credit for not going the cliché route of bringing back some jersey from the 60's. Seriously, how does wearing the kelly green symbolize 75 Years? If they were honoring Cunningham or Reggie White, or Jerome Brown sure. But, they are honoring and celebrating 75 years of Eagles football.

I don't think they're trying to make a fashion statement and make a ton of money off these things. They don't need to. People can't keep Eagles stuff in stock in the Delaware Valley. (Unless it's got anything to do with a certain ego named TO.)

Are both of you kidding? I think these will be a ridiculously hot seller - a way for fans of the Eagles to have a unique way to support their team. I know if the Lions started selling their 1933 jerseys, even if they were totally different colors than their current ones, I'd be all over them. By coincidence, these are in some of the recently "hot" colors (Denver Nuggets, anyone) and have enough simplicity and style to be cool for street wear.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

I really like that they're using a uniform I had never seen before that features colors not normally associated with the Eagles. And I like that the style is simple, old-fashioned, and, in its own way, elegant.

However, those colors are too shiny. There must have been a way to dull them down a bit, right? They look like disco dancers are something.

Yeah, they'll be dulled down once dirt/grass stains are applied.

Akers' jersey should still be nice and shiny, though.

i learn something new everyday, i honestly didn't know the eagles wore those colors at one time. its almost hard to associate blue/yellow with the eagles when almost everyphoto i have ever seen of them are in green. sorta like the packers and the blue/yellow jerseys they had.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

So... when you're doing a version of a helmet that had NO facemask, how do you decide on gray?

It seems a natural choice, actually. Black or white would stand out as colors. Yellow or blue would have an anachronistically modern look. Light gray matches the tones of the yellow and blue without looking like a third color.

I love these throwbacks; by going back before the living memory of today's fan base, these uniforms feel more like an authentic tribute to the team's history than a marketing plow. There's just something a little facile about teams that happen to wear throwbacks of the uniforms they were wearing when their fans were kids. We all love the uniforms our teams wore when we were kids, no matter how awful those uniforms actually were. (Witness the otherwise inexplicable love for the Orioles' early 80s uniforms, or my own thing for powder blue road uniforms in baseball.) Plus, in this 400th anniversary of the English settlement at Jamestown, the colors may be a subtle reminder of the early Swedish settlement of the Delaware Valley. Bit of forgotten history there. Also, yellow and blue make green.

And of course Gothamite said all that can be said about the logo. Recent sustained exposure to Philadelphia sports "fans" has left me with a burning hatred of the Eagles, but even so no team deserves an anniversary logo that ugly. Looks like a high school team's clip-art logo.

20082614447.png

B)-->

QUOTE(timmy b @ Tuesday, April 24th, 2007 - 19:43:16)

Well, the Eagles and Steelers play in the preseason, and both are celebrating their 75th seasons... Steagles throwbacks, anyone?

Well, the Steagles home unis were simply the unis of the team in the city they happened to be playing in (in Phily they wore the Eagles unis, in Pittsburgh they wore the Steelers unis). I would assume they switched off on the road as well.

Was that the same deal (uni wise) with Card-Pitt? (sorry to go OT)

the steagles wore the philly eagles unis (silver leather helmet with green earpeices, green jerseys with white numerals, white sleeve panels and white side panels, silver/gray pants, green socks with two thin white rings) for ALL games in 1943.

card-pitt wore the cardinals attire (white leather helmet, red jerseys with white numerals, white pants, red socks) for all but one game, in which blue jerseys with white numerals - and i assume blue socks - were worn for a game in washington in 1944.

tb

I stand corrected.

Kind of grimy that they would make Pittsburgh fans root for a team wearin' Phily colors. That'd be like if the Browns and Steelers were merged today and they took to Heinz Field in brown & orange.

Archived