Orioles sleeve patch

bowld

anyone know why the birds took there cartoon oriole off the jerseys? they used to have a sleeve patch with the bird and bat and this yr i noticed it isnt on any of there jerseys..anyone have any news on this..thanks

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've never heard anything about why the patch was removed, but I'm glad it was. For reasons I can't quite put my finger on, I have never liked the so-called "Fun Bird". If the Orioles want to use a cartoon bird swinging a bat, I think they should go back to the classic one from the old circle logo.

623.gif

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

anyone know why the birds took there cartoon oriole off the jerseys? they used to have a sleeve patch with the bird and bat and this yr i noticed it isnt on any of there jerseys..anyone have any news on this..thanks

Hasn't been on the unis since 2003.

I don't know, I really liked the fun bird for some reason. But, the tops look pretty clean without a patch, I think.

I've never heard anything about why the patch was removed, but I'm glad it was. For reasons I can't quite put my finger on, I have never liked the so-called "Fun Bird". If the Orioles want to use a cartoon bird swinging a bat, I think they should go back to the classic one from the old circle logo.

623.gif

The Orioles have distanced themselves from the "Fun Bird" patch. It's gone from the jersey and jacket sleeves.

2001 - real bird patch

2002 - "Fun Bird" patch

2003 - "Fun Bird" patch

2004 - 50th Anniversary patch

2005 - blank sleeve

2006 - Elrod Hendricks "44" memorial patch

2007 - blank sleeve

I agree that the 60s bird swinging a bat would be a perfect sleeve patch for the Orioles. It's among several changes I would make to their uniforms.

I too prefer the more whimsical birds.

To my mind the O's have never had a better logo than this guy:

mascot1.gif

And for a primary logo, this:

mascot2.gif

beats the heck out of this mess:

orioles.gif

Looking back on the logo history, I am staggered by the number of really solid logos that the Orioles have had over their history. Very few of them don't work at all, and most are simply beautiful.

And for a primary logo, this:

mascot2.gif

I talked myself out of buying a wall clock with that logo a few years ago because it was a little pricey. I've been kicking myself since then because I can't find it anywhere now (and it would like great in my basement, no matter what my wife says).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

mascot2.gif

That guy looks ready to play a double header. Sad they don't use it any longer.

I can't think of any examples off hand, but the team does still use it from time to time (at least the bird, anyway).

I like that logo for a couple of reasons. For one, it brings back memories of Memorial Stadium, and when the team was a constant contender. And, it also at least looks like a live bird. The current cap logo looks like it's been stuffed by a taxidermist......

I hate the current pigeon-esque logo. Just bland and boring. And the thing that really gets me is the green in the background baseball diamond in the logo. WTF? Why is that there? Green is not a team color, get that out of the primary team logo! Just a personal gripe of mine that gets to me every time I see that damn logo. Thanks, Angelos.

I hate the current pigeon-esque logo. Just bland and boring. And the thing that really gets me is the green in the background baseball diamond in the logo. WTF? Why is that there? Green is not a team color, get that out of the primary team logo! Just a personal gripe of mine that gets to me every time I see that damn logo. Thanks, Angelos.

The reason it is there is so the team logo resembles the Camden Yards logo (see below -- and thank Mr. Creamer for the quality of the reproduction -- :P ). I'm not saying I think the green should be there (though I've never really given it much thought), I'm just stating why it is there.

BAL_g95iy6hjdbhehui8edfx.gif

P.S. You will have to take my word for it that that logo is green.

One thing that the Orioles are good for is their display of their logo history throughout Camden Yards.

On various signs and what not all over the park, you'll see the 1954 logo and bird that was referred to in this thread, all the way through to the "fun bird" or the "baby bird" that used to be on the jersey.

Personally, I love this one:

logo2.gif

This from a man whose favorite team's logo has very little to do with any actual shark.

Just because it's ornithologically correct doesn't make it superior to past logos. The cartoon bird featured on the hats in the late '60s through the '80s beats this thing by a mile.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

logos should look like logos, not cartoon characters.

Are the two mutually exclusive?

the current logo looks more like an oriole than any of the old ones do.

leave them in the past.

Logos shouldn't necessarily be accurate reproductions of wildlife. I'm sure it does look more in line with the actual bird, but what's stopping them there? Just throw an Audobon reproduction on the hat and be done with it.

The cartoon logo works better, and it's linked to the glory days of the franchise.

Just because it's ornithologically correct doesn't make it superior to past logos.

that is EXACTLY the reason why it is superior to past logos.

By this logic, you should also be saving some invective for your Sharks.

I'm sure it does look more in line with the actual bird, but what's stopping them there? Just throw an Audobon reproduction on the hat and be done with it.

You're kidding right?

It's a graphical depiction of an oriole, it need not be the audobon reproduction to convey that it indeed is an oriole. Those cartoon logos everyone creams themselves over look more like Heckle and Jeckle than they do orioles.

By this logic, you should also be saving some invective for your Sharks.

Tell me wiseass, do you see the shark wearing a helmet, gloves and skates?

Archived