MLB Alternate Logos Project

ltravisjr

After a bit of a delay, I can now finally present my NL East alternate logos. I think I am most pleased with this set as I was fortunate enough to be able to work with teams with some great elements to incorporate into my designs. Without further delay, here we go...

New York:

I went with a "big apple" theme, and borrowed the baseball seams from the primary logo and the "NY" from the cap logo. I am satisfied that the elements are very familiar, but yet the concept is quite original.

NYM2.png

Philadelphia:

Here, I tried to link some of the Phillies identity history. I included wedge shape similar to the current logo's, but decided to go back to Independence Hall, which was used in the prior Phillies identity. I am quite pleased with how the shadows work here.

PHI2.png

Atlanta:

The obvious choice here would have been to incorporate the tomahawk, but the Braves have already done that perfectly by incorporating it into the "A" of their alt. I went back to pre-Atlanta history and revived the full headdress. I modernized it by simplifying it and removing the Native American in favor of a simple baseball.

ATL2.png

Florida:

This one is self explanatory. I couldn't resist using the unmistakeable marlin's fin, and of course added a tail to stylize the Florida "F".

FLA2.png

Washington:

Now that "DC" is being used in an alternate logo, I figured I would base my alt on the outline of the district, whose shape lends itself perfectly to the diamond composition. For some continuity, I retained the nine stars from the other Nats logos.

WAS2.png

Well, that covers the NL East. Hopefully you are enjoying the project. My final installment, the NL West, will be upcoming in the next couple weeks or so. If you wish to look at the rest of the project so far, here are the links:

NL Central:http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?sh...c=47859&hl=

AL West: http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=47272

AL Central: http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=46767

AL East: http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=47020.

LT

METS: I like how this one came out a lot and how you borrowed elements from the rest of their package to really tie the alternate together.

PHILLIES: This one is my favorite of the bunch. Simplicity is key and you mastered it here. The baseball diamond shape works great to blend it into the rest of the scheme. The only serious flaw I can see is that it seems relatively blank. I think I would be curious to see how it would look with a red or blue background.

MARLINS: Only comment on this one is that I would ditch the fin. Additionally, it would be interesting to see the F in teal considering it has become their 'alternate' color now.

NATIONALS: What if you added silver in there? It's the only color of their scheme that I don't see incorporated. If you decide to heed this suggestion incorporate the silver and gold in equal proportion though if possible.

BRAVES: I don't really know exactly what to say about this one. It just doesn't say the 2007 Braves to me as to my knowledge there is no element of a headress in any of their other logos. I like the logo itself though. The only thing I can think of acually is to try and incorporate the details of the feathers from one of their retro logos.

New York - Right off the bat you set the bar high with this division. It maintains the elements of the current identity while giving it that iconic New York feel. Superb.

Philadelphia - I like the idea. The wedge does look a little blank, but that's a minor gripe. I don't know if it's just me or not, but the wedge looks like it's rotated counter-clockwise ever so slightly. I'm not sure if that's true, or if the red outline is thicker on the right side. Something about it just doesn't look right.

Atlanta - Simple and effective. The thing I would change is the alignment of the seems. To me, the ball appears to be "facing" me but the headdress is on sideways covering half of its "face." I think the profile view is much better than a head-on view, so if the seems were rotated towards the right it would mesh better.

Florida - This is the weakest of the bunch and I think the weakest of the whole series. I think if you eliminated the black border between the cordal fin and the stem of the 'F' it would look sharper. I like the idea, but that's really the only positive thing I can say about it.

Washington - I love the direction you went with this. However, the first thing that I thought of when I saw it was it's a coast line, not the silhouette of the District. When you pointed it out I saw it, but it wasn't automatic. I think that problem can be fixed with one change. Make the gold part of the diamond white. That will force the blue image to become the focus point (which I think you want).

Overall, well done. Too bad the NL West is the only one left. ;)

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Mets - Brilliant symbolism wih the apple and there's not a pixel of black in it.

Phillies - Very well done. They should definitely use this as a sleeve patch.

Atlanta - Ehh... I see where you're going with it but it still looks a little cartoonish for the Braves. Try making the feathers more detailed and highlighting the ball a bit more.

Florida - Good start but it looks like it's half done. What about making the horizontal lines of the F look like a marlin's open mouth?

Washington - Great idea, but as someone else mentioned the colours make it look like the brown is land and the blue is water, which is actually the map of DC. A simple recolour should do the trick - make the map red and the diamond blue. Problem solved.

stoneraizersig.jpg

Mets: As a Mets fan, :notworthy:

Phillies: I love it. Very simple, symbolic and effective.

Braves: Like the previous poster said, too cartoonish.

Nationals: Not really feeling it. It looks like a throwback logo. Too simple and doesn't say anything. Maybe the capital building or something.

Marlins: In contrast to the other posters, I love it. It simple but a the same time combines the F and the characteristics of a fish perfectly (I think). I don't understand how so many people don't like.

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here

These are really good, although I don't really get the Nats one...

Mets, Phillies, and Braves all get A+

Marlins get a B.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

I had a little time to tweak Florida and Washington. I think the suggestion to remove the "brown" worked quite well. It still looks like it may be missing something, but I will let it sit for a while and see if anything further strikes me. Florida's now is better, although to me still looks a little flat. I may play around with it some more, possibly adding some highlighting or something. Thanks for all the comments so far!

WASFLA.png

LT

You should try and put some orange into the Marlins logo. I love the Mets one, really great job on that. The Phillies one is good, but it looks a little empty, if you got something else inside the diamond it would look fantastic. The Braves is ok, but it looks like a minor league logo to be, may be great for one of their minor league affiliates. The Nats one is the weakest of all of them I think. It just doesn't feel like it belongs with their current set. It also feels a little dull to me, but overall great work!

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Apple ball...love it! Remove the NY and its an A+++++++

I was about to post the same thing. good call cy. i think that the apple with the Mets characteristic stitches is strong enough as an alt logo without the NY. it is my favorite of the series, which has improved with each installment.

The Marlins logo looks a lot like the current cap logo but I can't think of a single suggestion that would be better than what you've done. (maybe a fishtail "M"?) Sometimes there is not much to work with and you have done a good job of getting everything you can out of each team.

BCBannersSig.png

Top to bottom, your best division yet.

METS: no suggestions

PHILS: Red has been their dominant uniform color almost continually since 1883 (excluding a few years of blue, and the Maroon Era). There's almost no red to be seen - white wedge, blue Independence Hall. I know where you're going with this, but I would have to think hard to associate this with the Phillies given the relative lack of red.

BRAVES: no suggestions

MARLINS: now that you went teal, no suggestions

NATS: Very creative, no suggestions. 2nd best of the bunch, a hair behind the Mets.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

The improved Nats logo is infinitely better. Great work.

Florida is much better now that it's teal, but I still think you should remove the "connector line" on the back of the "F" at the dorsal fin. I think it would smooth out the whole logo and blend the fins into the "F" more completely.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I had a little time to tweak Florida and Washington. I think the suggestion to remove the "brown" worked quite well. It still looks like it may be missing something, but I will let it sit for a while and see if anything further strikes me. Florida's now is better, although to me still looks a little flat. I may play around with it some more, possibly adding some highlighting or something. Thanks for all the comments so far!

WASFLA.png

LT

The improved Nats logo is infinitely better. Great work.

Florida is much better now that it's teal, but I still think you should remove the "connector line" on the back of the "F" at the dorsal fin. I think it would smooth out the whole logo and blend the fins into the "F" more completely.

I wouldn't necessarily remove the line between the fin and the F. But, the top/thicker part of the line should end about halfway down, and come to a point with the bottom part of the fin blending into the F. Maybe have it come to a point a bit before the second to last "horizontal line" of the fin. I'm thinking it kinda like at the bottom, where you have the two kind of curve in and end, allowing the F and tail to blend into one another. Just a suggestion. ^_^

Archived