Sign in to follow this  
STL FANATIC

Official NFL Draft and Draft Weekend Trades Thread

BREAKING NEWS!!!

It's being reported RANDY MOSS (in a move that'll surprise no one) is being traded to, of all teams, the PATRIOTS, for a 4th-round pick.

Hmm...all the receivers the Pats picked up in the offseason, and now Moss.

Seems Brady must REALLY want some dependable weapons to throw to after last season, huh???

Yup, character is no longer a priority for New England.

Yeah, they are loading up, almost like the Yankees after 2004.

I'm not sure if ESPN will be on much in my household during this year's NFL season.

A couple things...

1.) Loading up like the Yankees? Yeah, except we're still under the salary cap.

2.) Belichick discussed this deal heavily with team leaders (Bruschi, Brown, Brady et all) and found a resounding yes from all of them. It's also been played down heavily, but Belichick is going a 1 strike and get the :censored: out mentality. This move is nearly the same move they used to get Dillon a few years ago. Turned out pretty well then didn't it? Go ahead and use well he was playing for a lousy team and that's why he was upset.. but don't forget Moss was on the god damn Raiders. The Patriots have far too many veteren leadership type guys to let a Randy Moss type get the locker room down and Belichick knows this. Moss will, and I repeat WILL be a different player. On and off the field. He knows coming to New England could ressurect his career, and this is probably his last chance. Perfect fit.

Having grown up in Massachusetts, I have to give the Patriots organization it's "props". Belichick and Pioli know how to get the very best out of players... even those considered malcontents prior to arriving in Foxboro.

Bottom line? Based on track-record, I have to believe that this deal will work out better for the Pats than the trade my Seahawks swung yesterday afternoon. God! What were the 'Hawks thinking trading D-Jack to a divisional rival?

Good to see hometown TE Brent Celek drafted by Philadelphia, although 'twould've(ahh, a double contraction!) been sweet to see him playing in Cincy next year

The Ravens picked up Heisman Trophy winner Troy Smith in the 5th Round.

B)-->

QUOTE(Billy B @ Sunday, April 29th, 2007 - 14:26:23)

Danny Wuerffel thinks that was a great pick.

Troy Smith will be lucky to have Weurfel's career, and I don't think its a shock he will be a Heisman NFL Bust.

Troy Smith will be lucky to have Weurfel's career, and I don't think its a shock he will be a Heisman NFL Bust.

Heisman NFL Bust? I absolutely hate when people use that term. The Heisman Trophy is awarded to the best college football player during the season, not the man who everyone thinks is gunna be the best NFL Player. NCAA and the NFL are two completely different worlds, just because one person can dominate at a certain level but not another, he's not a bust. A bust is someone who is hyped up and doesn't deliver... I haven't seen too much hype around Troy Smith this weekend. Hard to be labled as a bust when you're drafted in the 5th round.

Pittman was a steal, as was Bush.

I can't believe Ben Patrick is still on the board!

And Randy Moss to New England? Wow, I did not see that one coming.

He STILL is alive at pick 206. I wouldn't mind the Bills picking him at #222 if he is still there, or even trading up.

Glad to see former U of Reno and McQueen High School star Jeff Rowe was picked up, gonna be tough sittin behind Palmer in Cincy though.

Ben Patrick finally gets picked... By the Arizona Cardinals in round 7.

Also, WTF? Why did they get rid of Jackson? Look, unless they feel that both Taylor and Kent can do something as 6th Round picks, this will look stupid and when San Francisco wins the division, I'll point to this moment when the 'Hawks gave it away.

Am I the only one who saw the S that the Falcons drafted in the 6th round from Maine could broad jump cars?! If that somehow translates into football ability, we got a steal.

I dont agree with them getting rid of jackson either, but with branch, burlson, engram, and with hackett as a rising star I dont think they need any of these draft picks to do much to replace him. Hopefully Branch can play like a number one, Hackett can step up into the number two spot with the solid engram in the slot like always.

Some notable players still available are Jared Zabransky, Chris Leak, and Darius Walker. It will be interesting to see if any of these guys get drafted.

Ramzee Robinson, CB out of Alabama is Mr. Irrelevant.

But yeah, Jared Zabransky, Darius Walker, and Chris Leak, among others, are some of the major players to not be drafted.

This has got to be a first...first NCAA Football coverboy to not be drafted.

Heisman NFL Bust? I absolutely hate when people use that term. The Heisman Trophy is awarded to the best college football player during the season, not the man who everyone thinks is gunna be the best NFL Player. NCAA and the NFL are two completely different worlds, just because one person can dominate at a certain level but not another, he's not a bust. A bust is someone who is hyped up and doesn't deliver... I haven't seen too much hype around Troy Smith this weekend. Hard to be labled as a bust when you're drafted in the 5th round.

No, it's not. It's awarded to the skill position player on one of the top 5-10 teams on the country that does the most to lead his team to a great season, and in the process gets the most media coverage.

Troy Smith was NOT the most outstanding player in college football last year, by any definition of the word outstanding. As the Heisman Trophy voting has become NBA MVP award voting, meaning that team success matters even more than just skill, winning the Heisman has truly become irrelevant.

Just ask Chris Weinke and Eric Crouch.

/end threadjack

I dont agree with them getting rid of jackson either, but with branch, burlson, engram, and with hackett as a rising star I dont think they need any of these draft picks to do much to replace him. Hopefully Branch can play like a number one, Hackett can step up into the number two spot with the solid engram in the slot like always.

Is there any chance at all that Jackson's knee injury is back or something? Did he get caught smoking the weed and the suspension is coming? Is he damaged goods?

B)-->

QUOTE(Billy B @ Sunday, April 29th, 2007 - 15:26:23)

Decent pick I think. I'm not a huge fan of Smith, but you've really got nothing to lose picking him in the 5th round (although I would have perfered others, but apparently McNair likes Smith). Maybe he turns into to something, if not we can draft someone high next year.

Overall I'm not really liking the Ravens draft. I know they need OL help, so that why they drafted Grubbs. But I was really confused with the draft of Yamon Figurs. I like the idea of getting another WR (I was hoping Dwayne Jarrett's might fall to us), but I think were better options available. I'm guessing they like his return skills. The loss of B.J. Sams hurt the team alot last season (more then it should have), so maybe they would like a decent backup (or Sams' injury is worse than I thought).

I must say, this was an extremely dissapointing draft for me as a Bucs fan. First off, missing CJ hurt, real bad. But what stung worse was seeing the Bills snag Paul Posluszny, a player I personally think will become one of the best defensive players in the game someday, one pick before Tampa. Another thing I was extremely dissapointed in was that Tampa didnt grab Dwayne Jarrett. I know we had other areas of need, but to put so much out about getting CJ, then to pass up on another talented reciever in Jarrett for a lineman just about made me toss my cell phone out of the car window (I was on the road and checking the draft via my phone). Then to see him go to Carolina just dug the knife even deeper. I wouldn't be suprised if Jarrett burns us to a crisp for years, and it'll be nobody's fault but our own <_<

Overall it was a very dissapointing draft, yet it was still head and shoulders above last years draft. Thats definately a big bright red flag, and I ahve now placed the target squarely on Bruce Allen's back.

:cursing: Thanks A LOT Ted Thompson!!! You had a golden opportunity in front of you for Moss! Brett desperatly wanted him, and lobbied to you for him, BUT you DON'T Trade for him!!!, and yet you draft a lot of NOBODIES!!!! And take no course of action for a guy the caliber of Moss! What the "BAD WORD" is your problem!!! Don't you want Your team to WIN!!!! It's almost seeming like Holmgren paid you off before you left Seattle! Dammit, how can you let RM84 head to the Patriots!!! I know it's all said and done, but seriously a DT in the FIRST "BAD WORD" ROUND!!!! The Pack has a good D-7, with KGB, Pickett, Jenkins, Kampman, A.J. Hawk(your one TRUE draft pick!), Barnett, Poppenga... Why not Oleson at TE AT LEAST!!! You are PAYING Millions for your starting D-7 already!!!! :cursing: Thy Packers NEEDED OFFENSE this draft/trade season/free agency!!! "BAD WORD" It coulda all been solved, AND you coulda made BRETT the happiest man alive, BUT........ NO!!!!!! Al Davis and the Raiders played you like a :cursing: fiddle Mr., errrrrr, Mrs. Thompson!!!!! As far as the last 3 years go, I DON'T want you as GM of the football team I cheer for! How can you turn the Most Storied Franchise into one of the worst laughing stocks in ALL the NFL???

This OFF SEASON is probably going to go down as one of the WORST in Packers' history!!! Hopefully I am wrong by all counts. But, I really don't like how this off season was handled by the front office of the Packers!!! They had so many opportunities to make this team a SERIOUS contender, and I HAVEN"T seen it it yet!

I needed to vent here. There appear to be no fan forums at Packers.com?

I can just say here that I am sick of MY local teams NOT doing whatever it takes to WIN! EXCEPT the Brewers Now!

Yeah I have enjoyed the Super Bowl WIN in '96/'97! But, what says we CAN'T get there again soon!!! Oh, yeah Ted Thompson!!! Man I miss Ron Wolf!!!!

My other local teams, need NEW management! To help them win and make them the major players they once were AGAIN!!!

Kyle