Tampa Bay [Devil] Rays concept

Fjm

My first real concept: Tampa Bay [Devil] Rays.

Colors: Kelly Green and Indigo.

I wanted to make green the primary, since only the A's use green. I chose a green similar to the Celtics kelly green in order to be distinct from the A's, and to give the Rays a brighter, more vivid look.

I chose indigo to be unique, since it's not anywhere in the major world of sports as far as I know, as well as to provide a darker contrast to the green. It more-or-less looks like navy blue, but not too dark, and with a hint of purple.

I somewhat styled this after the Red Sox, replacing red with green.

I didn't do much with the chest logo, for now I just recolored it and modified it a bit, and I removed the manta (devil) ray. I mainly just wanted to try out the colors. I left the name "Rays" so if the organization wanted to go with that or keep it as "Devil Rays" it works both ways.

I left the devil ray logo on the shoulder but colored it indigo. All black was removed. Indigo piping down the front, on the sleeves, on the pants, and outlining the letters and numerals. The cap logo is simple, green interlocking TB on indigo.

I only used Paint since that's all I really know. I could have cleaned it up more in some areas, but I didn't want to go crazy yet. It's just version 1.0. I'm not sure which way to go with the Road unis.

C&C please. Thanks.

tbraysconcept.png

Looks hastily made. My suggestions are make the green darker because lime green is generally not remembered fondly. Also the hat looks bad. Try recoloring their current hat. Finally, continue the sleeve stripe on the back.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

I took your suggestions, darkening the green -- I eyedropped the Celtics logo color and used that. I didn't intend for (the first version) to be lime green, it didn't seem that way on my monitor but hopefully this looks better.

I fixed the hat logo a little, adding a white outline to the interlocking letters, which was necessary due to the lack of contrast with the darker green TB. I didn't want to keep their existing hat logo, as I wanted to remove the devil ray, and their current TB seems like a dated font.

Better, worse? C&C appreciated.

tbraysconceptv2.png

Edit: revised this picture 4/27 (darkened the navy, beveled the cap logo, adding shine stich look to the green logo & numbers, changed player name to navy)

Well, there's a lot I don't like about this concept. But just saying that a thing looks "uninspired" isn't particularly constructive. "Have better ideas" not being on Oprah's list of Helpful Things to Say.

But I do appreciate what you're trying to do with the colors and salvaging a blue-green scheme. I don't think you come close to succeeding with that project, but I'm at least on board with it. Why don't your blue and green, from either concept, work together? Contrast. In both the kelly and dark green versions, the blue and the green are of similar intensity. "Saturation" might be the better word. A lot of teams have issues with using red and blue of similar intensity, but we're all so used to seeing that color combination that we naturally "read" the two similar colors. But this color combination doesn't have that advantage of cultural used-to-it-ness.

So instead of pairing a very intense dark blue with a very intense bright green or a very intense dark green, you need to look at colors of different intensity. Choose one intense color, one pale color. Grass green and eggshell blue. Indigo and sea green. That sort of thing. It's not a question of bright or dark, not with blue and green anyway, but rather one of intense or pale. If someone asked you to make your jersey script black and white, and you thought either color could be black, then you've got the wrong shades of green and blue for this concept.

20082614447.png

Well, there's a lot I don't like about this concept. But just saying that a thing looks "uninspired" isn't particularly constructive. "Have better ideas" not being on Oprah's list of Helpful Things to Say.

But I do appreciate what you're trying to do with the colors and salvaging a blue-green scheme. I don't think you come close to succeeding with that project, but I'm at least on board with it. Why don't your blue and green, from either concept, work together? Contrast. In both the kelly and dark green versions, the blue and the green are of similar intensity. "Saturation" might be the better word. A lot of teams have issues with using red and blue of similar intensity, but we're all so used to seeing that color combination that we naturally "read" the two similar colors. But this color combination doesn't have that advantage of cultural used-to-it-ness.

So instead of pairing a very intense dark blue with a very intense bright green or a very intense dark green, you need to look at colors of different intensity. Choose one intense color, one pale color. Grass green and eggshell blue. Indigo and sea green. That sort of thing. It's not a question of bright or dark, not with blue and green anyway, but rather one of intense or pale. If someone asked you to make your jersey script black and white, and you thought either color could be black, then you've got the wrong shades of green and blue for this concept.

Thanks for your honest comments.

I don't think I've ever seen a color critique based on the intensity of the colors, but I know what you mean, actually that's the same problem that I have with the current Devil Rays colors -- the forest green and black don't contrast each other enough in my opinion, for instance, it's hard to tell what color the "TB" is on their caps unless you look at it really close, and the blue and green double-stripes on their uniforms are nearly impossible to differentiate. (Many people probably don't even realize blue is in their color scheme.)

I was trying to go with an intense kelly green, and a navy-ish indigo that hopefully was dark enough to contrast it. Maybe the exact color I used wasn't quite right. But I felt that live and on TV, navy blue often looks black anyway (Tigers, Twins, Yankees) and would be enough of a contrast.

Archived