catchers masks

jimshaw25

i dont know if they regulate what catchers have on their masks but they are unique designs just related to the team incorporating their logos and such.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Pretty sure MLB has put their foot down as far as full NHL personalization goes. They realize a blank mask is pretty lame, so they do allow plain logos, etc.

It's too bad, as some MLB teams have great potential for some awesome masks.

Tigers

Braves & Indians(Perhaps a Blackhawks style headdress?)

Cubs bear

Royals crown

A's Elephant

Mariners Islanders-style Gorton's Fisherman

Mets Skyline

Twins Minneapolis & St Paul Skylines on each side

Brewers with the Beer Helmet

Perhaps it will be like the NHL, as those started off pretty plain and began to get elaborate over time.

I'm beginning to wonder if MLB isn't loosening up a bit on this.

Watch the Astros' Brad Ausmus. His goalie-style helmet has a giant longhorn cattle skull across it, with only a tiny red (oh, OK... brick :rolleyes: ) star on the skull's forehead. And my wife and I were at the Phillies/Nationals game (5th row behind home plate... sweeeeeeeeeet), and Brian Schneider had a "DC" monogram on the back of the helmet that was designed to look like a hole had been ripped out of the back of the helmet, and the monogram was found on some "inner layer", either of the helmet, or presumably, Schneider's skull.

At some point, someone is going to do something cool, and it will trickle down from there. It's how it started with goalie masks, and it's a natural evolution. I am not sure how many MLB players watch hockey (aside from Eric Gagne and Tom Glavine) where the NHL masks would inspire a catcher to do up his mask similarly.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

The first catcher to wear this style was Charlie O'Brien back in 1996 who had a wicked NHL style paint job on his mask, but MLB rejected the mask and he was forced to wear a blue one with just the Jays logo on it

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

My preference would be to let them be as creative with team design as they want, but not with personal nicknames, etc. I like that that only exists in hockey.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I would like to see Jason Varitek with a mask that says "TEK" on it, but i guess that won't happen. Although, I'm like 97% sure that he has or used to have "Tek" on his chest guard.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

At one point in 2005, Schneider actually had two differently painted masks going -- one home, one road.

Yadi Molina has a red home mask and a navy away mask, but they are designed the same other than that.

Also, while these pictures do show some cool designs, does anyone know if any teams have a starter and a backup that use different designs?

Oh, and did Schneider have completely different masks, or just colors, or what?

looks like most of them have the hat logo on the front, and the jersey wordmark on the side, tilted. like this:

1148528334_5085.jpg

i found this (clearly) older picture 20060524wap_pirates0524c_450.jpg

of johnny estrada wearing a mean helmet for the diamondbacks. not sure what it is exactly, but it looks like it breaks the mold.

it looks like that Detroit Tigers catcher is confused does he think he plays for the cincinnati bengals? lol

Then the stripes would be more like this:

prisoner.JPG

Sorry for beating this horse that has been dead for a long time.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

looks like most of them have the hat logo on the front, and the jersey wordmark on the side, tilted. like this:

1148528334_5085.jpg

i found this (clearly) older picture 20060524wap_pirates0524c_450.jpg

of johnny estrada wearing a mean helmet for the diamondbacks. not sure what it is exactly, but it looks like it breaks the mold.

A bit closer look at Johnny Estrada from last season.

441tj55.jpg

Wade-sig.png

Archived