Anyone else think the 07 MLB 5950s sit too high on your head?

boardname

I bought my first 59Fifty, the Cardinals red cap, last week when I was at New Busch. I was surprised they had one to fit my head--in fact, with my ultra-short buzz cut, the 7-7/8 is actually a little too big, but I'm hoping it shrinks up a little.

The underside of the brim isn't black, though; as far as I can tell, it's navy.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought my first 59Fifty, the Cardinals red cap, last week when I was at New Busch. I was surprised they had one to fit my head--in fact, with my ultra-short buzz cut, the 7-7/8 is actually a little too big, but I'm hoping it shrinks up a little.

Don't count on shrinkage. I've worn a couple of new 5950s to the point where the old wool models would have started showing real wear (and shrinkage). To date, no shrinkage at all. I'm getting better color retention on the blue caps than the old wool model, but my red Nats alt has darkened considerably, whereas the red Nats home cap I bought in 2005 is still a very bright red. So far I've also found that these caps are more comfortable in general, particularly in hot weather, and to my surprise they really do handle rain better than the old wool twill.

I'm now hoping that the minor leagues soon adopt the new-model 5950. I'm about ready to swear off the wool entirely.

20082614447.png

Well, I stated before that I had two new ones, dbacks and brewers ball/glove, both of which didn't curve well. I went to San Diego today, and went to the Lids store in a mall. There, I bought a home Padres authentic hat. This one came with a perfect curve, and curves well. Its weird at the variety you can get in these hats.

When I used to wear New Era caps (and I don't anymore -- too frustrating and far too expensive), I would curve the bill by leaving it folded in a coffee cup overnight. Did anyone else do that?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I haven't worn a cap regularly since 8th grade, when someone told me it's a good way to go bald faster - and then showed me pics of some MLBers with a way too-receeding hairline.

Haven't touched a hat since, save for the odd occassions when I do see a baseball game (and I wear the old smiling-bird Oriole hat i've had for years and years - tag says "Sports Specialties")

I haven't worn a cap regularly since 8th grade, when someone told me it's a good way to go bald faster - and then showed me pics of some MLBers with a way too-receeding hairline.

I think you've got that backwards - men who go bald like to cover it up with a baseball cap. Correlation is not causation, after all.

I think you've got that backwards - men who go bald like to cover it up with a baseball cap. Correlation is not causation, after all.

It's a scientific fact that if one or both of your grandfathers went bald and you regularly wear a ballcap, you are highly likely to go bald yourself.

Of course, it's also true that if one or both of your grandfathers went bald and you never wear a ballcap, you are highly likely to go bald yourself.

In either event, I'm pretty sure your chromosomes don't know what kind of hat you wear or how often you wear it.

Plus, wearing a hat with any kind of brim outdoors has been shown to reduce the risks of skin cancer on the scalp, neck, and face. If it really did come down to a choice between going a little bit balder a little bit sooner, or getting skin cancer, I'd take the bald.

And while we're on the subject of science, "anecdote is proof" being one of the cornerstones of the scientific method, I started wearing ballcaps pretty much all the time outdoors in my mid 20s, just when some of my male peers started down the road to midlife baldness. My hairline hasn't moved, and I still suffer whatever you call the Irish boy's version of an Afro if I go six weeks between cuts. A decade later, plenty of guys my age who rarely wear ballcaps have less hair than Mr. Hooper. Ergo wearing baseball caps do not cause or accelerate baldness. QED.

20082614447.png

Actually the hat puts strain on your hair line from the front and the crown, it just smushes it down on the crown and it pulls the front back...it could increase the hair being pulled out and then with the hat pressure, just not growing back in that area.

Ever hear of ingrown hair? Shave against the grain a few times...you'll figure it out. Hats can help people that are somewhat balding already, and it can also screw up hair for people that aren't balding with getting some whacked out hairline and more limp/dead hair.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

• 3 months later...

OK, now that the MLB season is waning, I was wondering what the overall thoughts of those that own the 2007 5950 caps. Since the Rays will be unveiling their new stuff in a month or so, I'd like to know whether to get the 2007 BP or the 2007 5950.

Any insight would be great.

When I used to wear New Era caps (and I don't anymore -- too frustrating and far too expensive), I would curve the bill by leaving it folded in a coffee cup overnight. Did anyone else do that?

Pint glass works well, too.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

OK, now that the MLB season is waning, I was wondering what the overall thoughts of those that own the 2007 5950 caps. Since the Rays will be unveiling their new stuff in a month or so, I'd like to know whether to get the 2007 BP or the 2007 5950.

Any insight would be great.

No one can tell you whether to go with fitted or stretch-fit; that's a matter of individual preference. But the new-model 5950s are truly outstanding caps. I was skeptical of them from the get-go, but the new-model 5950s I bought this spring have blown me away. In every regard, the best ballcaps I've ever owned and worn. They don't shrink, they stay cooler in the heat and dryer in the rain, the color doesn't change as much from either sweat or sun, I haven't had any bleeding of the fabric dye into the emroidery. If you're a fan of fitted caps, you will probably love your new 5950 Rays cap.

One warning, though, and one piece of advice. The warning: Buy your first new 5950 in person from a store with a big selection. You may need to try on several caps to find the perfect fit, and you need to buy a cap that comes with a perfect fit, because it is not going to shrink to your head. It will soften up a bit and shape itself to your head, but if it's a shade too large when you buy it, it will be a shade too large after you've worn it for a year.

My advice is to invest the time -- half an hour or so -- to carefully remove the stiff backing from inside the front of the cap. Use an X-Acto knife and tweezers to carefully remove the stiff black fibers one by one, then cut the white buckram threads out. With the backing removed, the new 5950s give Ebbets Field Flannels caps a run for their money as vintage look-and-feel ballcaps. It will kind of "slouch" to your head like you're Mickey Mantle.

20082614447.png

I forgot I had started this thread.

Ive given up on my 2007 5950. I didn't like the fit when it came out of the box - wayyy too high on your head. So then I tried the "cutting the liner" out business, and it caused the hat to lose it's shape entirely.

Im now using it as decoration, and I've bought an older hat to wear.

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

After getting one of the new 5950 caps to wear to play softball, I'd say they perform as advertised. I wear it every week, it gets sweaty, and there is minimal sign of shrinkage and the cap doesn't have any sweat marks on it (and it's a Detroit Tigers home - the cap is still as navy as the day I bought it and the D is still just as white).

I love them. I bought a few more of the 2007 caps too. The issues of sizing consistency are still there (I had to try one 2-3 of each cap that I bought just to be sure because no 2 are alike), but overall they are great.

I still loathe the new BP caps. I tried to give the side panels a chance, but I just felt like a giant idiot. They look moronic and I applaud the Angels for tossing them.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I forgot I had started this thread.

Ive given up on my 2007 5950. I didn't like the fit when it came out of the box - wayyy too high on your head. So then I tried the "cutting the liner" out business, and it caused the hat to lose it's shape entirely.

Im now using it as decoration, and I've bought an older hat to wear.

Sorry to hear that...My 59Fifty has worked out very well for me. I wear it all the time. As for the bill, I haven't curved it.

Archived