Anyone else think the 07 MLB 5950s sit too high on your head?

boardname

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep. Way back on Page 2 of this thread.

Try this - it's much easier than it looks, and it works really well. You can skip the "soaking" step, since the new caps don't shrink very much. When you're done, you'll have a great old-fashioned-looking cap that wears well.

Thanks Gothamite!

Sorry to bump this old thread again, but I had a trucker style Cubs hat that just would NOT break in. After clicking your link, I noticed it had the same "support" backing as the 5950's. I ripped those suckers out last night and finally have a hat I can wear. Muchas Gracias!

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

• 10 months later...

Sorry for the bump...

I'm thinking about purchasing my first ever 59fifty. I don't wear caps, except when I go running (basically to use as a sweatband.) My Tigers Franchise cap is too sweat stained to keep wearing, so I want to replace it, but I want to replace it with something that isn't "washed out", so I figure my only option is the 59Fifty (if anyone knows of a better option, like a wool flex-fit, please let me know how to get it.)

Has it been proven yet if the shower method of forming the crown works with the new 59Fiftys? I don't like the thought of having to perform surgery on the cap and cutting parts away, but I wouldn't mind wearing it in the shower and letting it dry on my dome.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Sorry for the bump...

I'm thinking about purchasing my first ever 59fifty. I don't wear caps, except when I go running (basically to use as a sweatband.) My Tigers Franchise cap is too sweat stained to keep wearing, so I want to replace it, but I want to replace it with something that isn't "washed out", so I figure my only option is the 59Fifty (if anyone knows of a better option, like a wool flex-fit, please let me know how to get it.)

Has it been proven yet if the shower method of forming the crown works with the new 59Fiftys? I don't like the thought of having to perform surgery on the cap and cutting parts away, but I wouldn't mind wearing it in the shower and letting it dry on my dome.

Moisture has had no effects whatsoever on any of the non-wool 5950s I've had in the last few years. I don't think the shower trick is going to do you any good, unless you're starting with an all-wool 5950.

For working out or running, I wouldn't recommend a 5950 anyway. I have an old pre-2007 3930 stretch-fit BP cap that works like a really good sweatband that I wear to the gym. You can still find a lot of fashion caps in that style (for example, here) that will probably do you better than a 5950 for running.

20082614447.png

Sorry for the bump...

Moisture has had no effects whatsoever on any of the non-wool 5950s I've had in the last few years. I don't think the shower trick is going to do you any good, unless you're starting with an all-wool 5950.

For working out or running, I wouldn't recommend a 5950 anyway. I have an old pre-2007 3930 stretch-fit BP cap that works like a really good sweatband that I wear to the gym. You can still find a lot of fashion caps in that style (for example, here) that will probably do you better than a 5950 for running.

Thanks for your reply. The stretch fit type of cap is actually what I was originally looking for, but I wasn't able to find one I liked on-line (I was looking for a all-navy Tigers cap, but I guess I'd be flexible if it was a design I liked - I was also considering a black White Sox cap.) Unfortunately, the only ones in that link either had different colored brims, or the silly ear flap thingys.

That sucks about the 50Fifty, but I'm glad I didn't spend the money yet. I guess I'll keep looking...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I continue to preach this - especially if you're wearing it for the purpose of running and sweating in: sweat DOES have an effect. Showing in it is very slight, and more for the purpose of cleaning the cap than anything I'd say, but sweating in the cap will do the trick if you sweat a lot and it's hot outside.

I continue to preach this - especially if you're wearing it for the purpose of running and sweating in: sweat DOES have an effect. Showing in it is very slight, and more for the purpose of cleaning the cap than anything I'd say, but sweating in the cap will do the trick if you sweat a lot and it's hot outside.

Seeing as how sweat is basically just saltwater, and no amount of water is going to make the body of a synthetic-fabric cap shrink, you must be experiencing one of two thing (or both in combination): 1. The sweatband inside the cap may have enough non-synthetic fabric in it to shrink slightly if soaked and allowed to dry; and/or 2. Salt will tend to stiffen any fabric, so rather than actually shrinking to conform to your head the salt left when your sweat dries is effectively starching the cap into a stiffer texture. I've worn some cotton ballcaps on beach vacations, and in a matter of days of exposure to saltwater the caps have become hard as tree bark.

20082614447.png

I don't claim any scientific knowledge... I just have noticed by hats fit and feel better after working out in them.

Aye -- not disputing your experience. Just throwing out some thoughts about how that could be happening.

20082614447.png

In addition to the stains, my Franchise cap is hard as a rock from sweat... the main reason why I was leaning against another cotton cap.

Was just at Lids, and found the exact hat I'm looking for: the 3930 "MLB Ace" cap.

Unfortunately, they only had White Sox and Mets, and only in medium-large (I'm small - medium.) They said they were all out of stock and couldn't even order the Detroit one for me. I asked about the White Sox or Pirates, and they said same thing.

I've been a longtime 5950 guy. It took me some trial and error with the new ones, and my success rate has still only been about 50-50. One thing to avoid if you're using water to soften the brim is soaking it too thoroughly, because the tip of the brim has a tendency to thicken. That happened to me twice before I wised up.

Avalanche.png

I'm not even going to waste the money on the new 5950, because I just can't see it conforming enough, even with sweat and cutting out the inside (which I'm too much of a Lidge to do myself.)

I just have to keep searching for the non-BP 3930, though so far, the entire internet seems to be out of them.

I just have to keep searching for the non-BP 3930, though so far, the entire internet seems to be out of them.

This kind of cap shortage happens every fall, and lasts into mid-winter, and this year is probably exacerbated by the coming introduction of a new style of BP cap. Kind of depresses me too, since last weekend I fell in love with a gray non-BP 3930 with a blue Nationals W, but it isn't available in L/XL at the team stores or on the internet tubes.

20082614447.png

Archived