Steelers unveil new uniform today.

SoxSteeler

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

heh, I'd rather have seen the 67 homes make a comeback, but nicely played, metal ones.

a difference not yet mentioned: the steeler logo on the 62 helmets read "Steel," it didn't read "Steelers" until the 63 season.

According to the Tribune Review, the 75th anniversary logo will be on the turf at heinz field.

I can guarantee you this, though: short of that fugly ann'y logo, those jerseys--which will be on sale here in Pittsburgh probably as soon as August, if not July (by the way, do NOT rule out seeing these in the pre-season; I've already been hearing murmurs of that), will be OFF THE RACKS AS SOON AS THE RETAILERS HANG THEM UP ON THERE. I can also guarantee the authentic versions will retail far north of $200; possibly into $300 territory...and they'll stillbe all bought up.

http://news.steelers.com/catalog/75thanniversary/

Authentics are going for $275

Throwback Premier going for $110

Replica going for $80

here's a little trivia for you.

the steelers have worn six different color jerseys in their history:

1. white (since at least c. 1948, but every year since 1956)

2. black (1934-1942, 1945-present)

3. yellow (1933-1942)

4. green (as the 1943 steagles AND also for much of the 1941 season)

5. red (as the 1944 card-pitt)

6. blue (for one game in washington in 1944)

contrary to popular belief, the "convict" jerseys were actually worn in 1933 along with the "city seal" jersey that was worn in '33 as well.

sources: newspaper microfilm from the pgh post-gazette, pgh press, pgh sun-telegraph)

tb

this doesn't really represent all the eras as much as it pretty much is a throwback to the 1960s uniforms. why they want to bring back the 60's uniforms is beyond me, since most of there success came in the 70s.

Best guess: the 2007 uniforms are the 1970s uniforms, with a different player name and number font to match the helmet numbers. The '60s uniforms offer a more noticeable departure from what the Stillers have worn for decades, save the font change.

heh, I'd rather have seen the 67 homes make a comeback, but nicely played, metal ones.

a difference not yet mentioned: the steeler logo on the 62 helmets read "Steel," it didn't read "Steelers" until the 63 season.

Mentioned that in the other thread on this topic--the one I started about two weeks ago...but you're right, no one mentioned it yet in here. :D

As far as D's guess, I have not yet heard anything about a reversion to the 70's era uniforms for the season, but if I do, trust me...the CCSLC will know about it.

this doesn't really represent all the eras as much as it pretty much is a throwback to the 1960s uniforms. why they want to bring back the 60's uniforms is beyond me, since most of there success came in the 70s.

Best guess: the 2007 uniforms are the 1970s uniforms, with a different player name and number font to match the helmet numbers. The '60s uniforms offer a more noticeable departure from what the Stillers have worn for decades, save the font change.

i can understand not breaking out the 70's uniforms since that is pretty much what they wear but why not break out the 30's uniforms or an alternate based on those.

Steelers 75th Anniversary Throwback Jersey

Hines_Front_75929.jpgBen_Back_75930.jpg

Steelers 75th Anniversary Throwback Helmet

Helmet_75931.jpg

Very nice.

For some reason, I am highly dissappointed. Even though it's highly accurate, the jersey just says "Meh." to me.

jerseys i like

mascot... no.

The steelers havent had mascots, havent had cheerleaders, and other things like that forever... why start now?

They've had mascots: Stevie Steeler, and some anthropomorphic Terrible Towel in the 90s.

And they have had cheerleaders - the Steelerettes, from 1961-1969.

As a part of the Steeler faithful, I can honestly say I love these jerseys. It rekindles the past but still keeps the present in mind with it's simplicity. No flash, no bells and whistles, just plain and simple, like the jerseys of the past and the present. The Steelers pride themselves on tradition, history, and a team built around the community while still looking toward the future. These jerseys represent that thought as they celebrate 75 years of franchise history and looking forward to 75 more (and maybe 5 more Superbowl victorys in that span as well).

jerseys i like

mascot... no.

The steelers havent had mascots, havent had cheerleaders, and other things like that forever... why start now?

They've had mascots: Stevie Steeler, and some anthropomorphic Terrible Towel in the 90s.

And they have had cheerleaders - the Steelerettes, from 1961-1969.

yes but how long did "Steevie steeler" last?

Try looking here

http://www.weirdwolf.net/FFP/1960s/1960.htm#

Pretty detailed uniform history here.

Plus, 1962 seems pretty spot on.

Pittsburgh62.gif

Very close, the difference being the sleeve numbers in 1962 are nowhere to be found in 2007.

There would be no way that they would be able to put the numbers on the sleeves with the size of the sleeves in the NFL now. It was probably extremely difficult to fit the stripes on the sleeves of the linemen's jerseys.

Based on the illustrations at http://www.southernsteelfanclub.com/uniform.html ,the Steelers, used gold pants in 1954. Between the '54 and '60 uniform the only things that seemed to change was an addition of a facemask (grey), the number font, and white pants. The debate over wether or not the pants are accurate for this year in my opinion i'd say that the pants were white with a black/gold/black stripe although the pic does suggest a 'tannish' look, I would assume that whoever illustrated the uni would have made the correct adjustment as is the case for the uni's from '33 through '43 which reflect the tan pants worn during those years. He or she could have just been trying to make the uni's look worn or even slightly dirty for effect thus inducing a 'tan' look.

It looks like they took the style of the 54'-60' jersey/pants...font of '54...and helmet of '62 which is not accurate being a non-grey facemask (not a pete peve for me but if your gonna' do a throwback do it right) I went a step further with my design putting in both gold and tan pants and adding the numbers to the other side of the helmet to tie into the era' that they are pulling from.

My update.....comments....

CONCEPT81-SteelersAnniversary.png

naw man, you're good. looks like Steeler gold to me. that said, the khaki pants don't seem to fit here in the same way they did with their 94 throwbacks. the gold pants, meanwhile, look kinda weird to me, mainly cus I'm so used to the current pants.

75th_Ward_75985.jpg

Dammit. They killed what could have been an awesome look by wearing white pants. <_<

At the risk of getting stoned.....

Those would have looked absolutely beautiful with black pants with a solid yellow stripe.

Quick + Dirty paint mockup of what this would look from straight outta my head.

hinesuniheinz-1.png

Ugh, no thanks. We don't need another team of mimes in the NFL - there are too many already.

bigdub81, nice concept, but I think you really intended to write "pants striping." Let's keep the Chris Creamer Sports Logos Community relatively family-friendly, shall we? :P

Archived