new Oregon State football uniforms

bowld

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The number font offends me as a fan of football, in addition to the other other ugly features.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Oregon D1 football programs: if they just remove one detail from each jersey they'd be fine...on the OSU ones, it's the piping, and on the UO ones, it's the diamond plating on the shoulders. Seriously, remove both and both teams look a ton better.

the colors are still the same as they've been rocking since the redesign about five or six years ago, so that's alright, and I like the numbers. Now I'm wondering who Oregon's going to get as their players whose numbers appear on the jerseys for next year...probably Dixon and Stewart, and I'd love to see Patrick Chung get one too. I'd rock it.

harperdc.gif

Oregon D1 football programs: if they just remove one detail from each jersey they'd be fine...on the OSU ones, it's the piping, and on the UO ones, it's the diamond plating on the shoulders. Seriously, remove both and both teams look a ton better.

It's so much more than that for the Ducks.

It's the alternate helmet with the ghost flames (WTF? Flames for the Ducks? :blink:).

It's the mix & match mentality; there's no good reason that a college team needs more than 2 uniforms for a 12-game season.

It's the constant need to tweak and break the mold in the name of calling attention to themselves.

It's forsaking university traditions to stand out.

the colors are still the same as they've been rocking since the redesign about five or six years ago, so that's alright, and I like the numbers.

Depends on what you mean. The numbers from their listed primary jerseys haven't changed. But they look like they're wearing the white jerseys with the bubbly cartoony numbers as often as they're not anymore. Also, they had the black jerseys with the Day-Glo yellow numbers that looked like 1st graders cut them out of construction paper. So in actuality, they have 3 fonts, one of which is supposed to be used more than the others. :therock:

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

It's so much more than that for the Ducks.

It's the alternate helmet with the ghost flames (WTF? Flames for the Ducks? :blink:).

I'm sure those are as good as dead. I saw them laid out on all the tables on the club level at Autzen yesterday when we stopped there riding the press elevator up to the press level, and I honestly hope they stay as decorations. If they're even considered as alternates I'm afraid.

It's the mix & match mentality; there's no good reason that a college team needs more than 2 uniforms for a 12-game season.

It's the constant need to tweak and break the mold in the name of calling attention to themselves.

It's forsaking university traditions to stand out.

a lot of teams are doing that now - though many stick to just three uniforms - and honestly, if they just went with three (green, yellow and white) then I'd be happy. I know the team in yellow and green (and white if we're away) is the Ducks.

and we're not really "forsaking university traditions" because we don't have deeply rooted University sports traditions. We were bottom-feeders until the late '80s, we had visions of grandeur after the '95 Rose Bowl, and we've risen up to be one of the teams expected (IMO) to be in the top 3 of the Pac-10 year after year. So, really, our traditions aren't as tied into iconography with the uniforms as much as other teams - Penn State or Notre Dame would never *try* the things we do, but so long as the Ducks are in Green and Yellow (even if that means 'Thunder Green' and 'Lightning Yellow' from Nike) then I'm a happy Duck; so long as they're playing a mean game of football at Autzen Stadium I'm happy. So long as they keep showing The Pick before home games on the jumbotron, I'm a happy Duck. Not much of that is tied into uniforms for us.

Depends on what you mean. The numbers from their listed primary jerseys haven't changed. But they look like they're wearing the white jerseys with the bubbly cartoony numbers as often as they're not anymore. Also, they had the black jerseys with the Day-Glo yellow numbers that looked like 1st graders cut them out of construction paper. So in actuality, they have 3 fonts, one of which is supposed to be used more than the others. :therock:

The home, aways and alternates all have the new numbers, because the old ones (for all three jerseys last year) were a serious block style:

oregon_state_jersey.jpg

I like the numbers, but then again, I also like Bellotti Bold *shrug* (btw, one other team at UO has adopted BBold for their number font...and it's not the basketball team thankfully. it doesn't look that bad, in all honesty.)

oh, and another Nike Football note: I think some of the coaches for the Ducks were rocking new polos, and they have a little football stitching thing on the bottom of where the buttons are. I think Riley is wearing one of those in the picture of the players in the new unis a page back, but it's not close enough to tell.

harperdc.gif

Downgrade, those are horrible. What's with Oregon teams and "cutting edge" uniforms that look absolutely horrible?

If I recall correctly, the guy from Nike went to Oregon, or maybe just the headquarters are in Oregon. Regardless, it's probably like they get free uniforms, but Nike can do whatever the hell they want to em.

and we're not really "forsaking university traditions" because we don't have deeply rooted University sports traditions.

But UO is. It doesn't matter how good or bad an athletic program is; you're tinkering with someone's alma mater. College athletics are not the same as pro sports. The overwhelming majority of pro sports fans have no formal affiliation with the teams they root for, but EVERY school's biggest portion of its fan base is its alumni, who proudly hang their diploma on the wall and sing the alma mater. What else besides a love for one's school would drive otherwise sane people to wear some of the hideous color combinations that they do in the name of love for their school? Clemson? Bowling Green? Brown? And so on.

Oregon looked fine (if just a little unique) in simple kelly green and athletic gold for a long time. Then, Oregon sold its soul to be Nike's sports fashion laboratory, and now they wear Day-Glo yellow, a green so dark it's practically black, actual black, white... diamond plating... Even though UO's teams may have sucked for decades before their rise to prominence, people still went to school there, and graduated from there. You're not just altering the laundry for the sports teams; you're tweaking something near to the hearts of thousands of people, many of whom probably fall outside Nike's target demographics. The balancing act is a lot more delicate with college athletics than some folks realize.

The home, aways and alternates all have the new numbers, because the old ones (for all three jerseys last year) were a serious block style:

oregon_state_jersey.jpg

I was referring to UO's 3 different fonts, not Oregon State...

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Trash everything and start from scratch, and they'd look a ton better as well....

[What else besides a love for one's school would drive otherwise sane people to wear some of the hideous color combinations that they do in the name of love for their school? Clemson? Bowling Green? Brown? And so on.

Oregon looked fine (if just a little unique) in simple kelly green and athletic gold for a long time. Then,

Or, in the case of Brown football, that's more like BROWN :D ...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

VitaminD: while I'm sure many alumni are probably a little upset, the team has not had an iconic look to the sports teams outside of using green and yellow. the basketball team has done better by staying simpler - Mac Court really hasn't changed for ball games - but the simple matter is that kelly green and gold Oregon stuff (not Nike licensed) is still available at the Duck store, and the Nike influence - though somewhat insidious (and I do have some worries at certain levels, but I'm not going into that here and now) - has improved the team from occasional success to a perennial success in the Pac-10.

didn't catch you with the three fonts earlier...because you were quoting me talking about Oregon State's jerseys! Bellotti Bold is the football number font for all the colors, it just looks slightly different with the different outlines. It's the same number. Yeah, I still like the other athletic number font (the one the basketball team uses) better, but BBold's not horrible, and certainly not the worst part of the uni.

harperdc.gif

looks like arena league jerseys

It's cute how the uninformed still use that as an insult.

It's not 1991, and these aren't Zubaz. Moving on.

Oh get over yourself. The poor guy didn't say anything out of line, and yeah, they do look like arena jerseys. They have the stench of Arena-esque gaudiness all over them.

Arena jerseys have NEVER been this bad. This is just plain ugly. Zubaz was bad, but not uglier than the cr@p Nike has been "inventing". Hell, even Nike's contract for the AFL was a blatant ripoff of the "Miami template". I think we can now start saying, those look so much like NIKE league jerseys. B)

Alouettes_roadsign.pngBlueJays_roadsign.pngExpos_roadsign.png

Nike might have designed the uni's, but OS had to approve them. The athletic department is the one to "blame" for this, though considering they likely were approved by a number of people, they probably think these will result in more merchandising profits. It's really all about the $$.

I have a feeling that the general public doesn't have the same traditional uniform love that 90% of this board has, or else nobody from the NFL to the NCAA would be designing more future-esque uniforms.

Archived