CIS hockey project

IceCap

Basically the plan is for me to revamp as many CIS hockey uniforms as I can. I've started with my current school, the University of Western Ontario, and their rivals the University of Toronto.

As always C&C is encouraged.

UWO Mustangs

UWO3.png

These days Western teams use liberal amounts of silver and black, along with the traditional purple and white, when it comes their uniforms. While silver has been used off an on since the '70's, black is a recent addition.

For these sweaters I decided to take the Mustangs' look back to their two colour roots. To do this I used the NHL template that best utilizes two colours, the Detroit Red Wings. The white sweater is a simple purple-for-red Red Wings jersey. The purple jersey, however, is a complete colour reversal of the white sweater.

I used the SMU Mustang logo for two reasons. 1) Its got a classic, timeless feel to it and 2) I hate our current Mustangs logo.

I used Western's traditional block "W" as the alternate logo.

U of T Varsity Blues

UofT.png

U of T currently used Toronto Maple Leafs templates for their uniforms. I wanted to create an identity that was different enough from the Leafs' look, but one that also stayed true to the Blues' look. I kept the Leafs' number and name font because I felt it fit in equally well with the new striping style I chose for the Blues. The Blues wear blue helmets with both jerseys, hence the absence of a white helmet.

First of all, I thank you for undertaking this project... the CIS movement needs some exposure, and the looks some updating.

Generally, your ideas are solid and easily justifiable but personnally, I think that in sports, just as in society, we should look at Universities and Colleges for innovation. Therefore, I would expect some bolder, more different looks, maybe an EDGE template, and striping we don't see in the NHL.

For the UWO concept, there's a reason why they are using "liberal amounts" of silver and black... unless you're an 80's rock star from Minnesota, this is way too purple... You want your fans to wear your gear on campus, and I can't see many people wanting to wear matchin colours outside the rink.

The Blues I actually like how you moved away from the Leafs, yet it screams Toronto.

I never really like that combo of fonts on the Leafs backs, go block, or go round, don't mix.

It also feel like the numbers are taking too much space on the back.

Keep up the good work, can't wait til you get to my school... Oh waut... I never "really" graduted... but attended HEC and U de M....

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Generally, your ideas are solid and easily justifiable but personnally, I think that in sports, just as in society, we should look at Universities and Colleges for innovation. Therefore, I would expect some bolder, more different looks, maybe an EDGE template, and striping we don't see in the NHL.

Don't worry, you'll get your fair share of innovative designs ;)

U of T maintained a very traditional design because I didn't want to stray to far from the Blues' current look. Western maintained a traditional look mostly due to my hatred of their current over-striped sweaters.

I do plan on going in new directions with a lot of these concepts. I wouldn't count on an Edge though, I'm still not satisfied with my skill level concerning that template.

For the UWO concept, there's a reason why they are using "liberal amounts" of silver and black... unless you're an 80's rock star from Minnesota, this is way too purple... You want your fans to wear your gear on campus, and I can't see many people wanting to wear matchin colours outside the rink.

I definitely see the reasoning there, but they go over board with it, IMO, and it isn't even applied consistently. They just add large patches of black without trying to work it into the sweater's design. I might go back and add some black and silver to my UWO concept, hopefully it'll turn out better then how they use those colours now.

The Blues I actually like how you moved away from the Leafs, yet it screams Toronto.

I never really like that combo of fonts on the Leafs backs, go block, or go round, don't mix.

I agree, but that name font was really the only one I could find that fit the bold stripes of the jerseys.

Thanks for the C&C, it's really appreciated.

U de M might be in the next batch actually....

These look really solid so far. I agree with Frenchie that the purple might not be a suitable overall design color for a college, but it looks nice here. Also, the SMU Mustang looks fabulous, and it is a timeless logo. Overall, both these jerseys are simple and classic, and I think it is time for the CIS to embrace that tradition. B; B+

Archived