"New Jersey" Giants and Jets?

nyk

If I may borrow from the immortal words of Al Davis.....Politicians must go down..........and they must go down hard. :cursing:

..... and yet the politicans gave Al Davis a renovated stadium which made the stadium really ugly....

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"At the very least, the location of the place where a team plays should be accurate, and reflect where they actually play their home games," Assemblyman Ivan Lafayette, of Queens, writes in the bill, as reported by The Record of Bergen County in Saturday newspapers.

Do the Buffalo Bills need to become the Orchard Park Bills so that their name reflect where they actually play their home games?

"At the very least, the location of the place where a team plays should be accurate, and reflect where they actually play their home games," Assemblyman Ivan Lafayette, of Queens, writes in the bill, as reported by The Record of Bergen County in Saturday newspapers.

Do the Buffalo Bills need to become the Orchard Park Bills so that their name reflect where they actually play their home games?

I am from OP and I say no. This is ridicilious, nobody would even know about OP without the Stadium.....

Well I guess nobody would even know about Buffalo without it's sports teams.

saBS.png

heh, East Rutherford's part of the NYC metro area, am I right? unless that's changed in the last 24, gitlin put it best: this is stupid.

Neither the Cowboys (Irving, and in a few years Arlington) nor FC Dallas (Frisco) play in Dallas proper, the Redskins don't play in DC anymore (though rumor has it Danny boy's eyeing a new DC stadium...man, didn't the Skins just get a new stadium? I tell ya, they don't make em like they used to), the Pistons don't play in Detroit, the Chicago Wolves play in Rosemont, the Senators don't play in Ottawa, the University of Miami is in Coral Gables, and then a fitting example from a favorite childhood book of many folks (strangely enough, I've never read the book, nor have I ever seen the movie)...if this is Camp Greenlake, where's the lake? :D

Ever been to Watertown, New York?

I have.

And once I was there, I asked myself this one question:

WHERE'S THE WATER???

(By the way, Watertown is where Ft. Drum, home of the 10th Mountain Division, is--it's about a half hour from Syracuse...out in the COUNTRY part of NY state--which, actually, most of it is...and I ain't even realize that until I landed there.)

But anyway...getting back on track...

By that line of logic, Mr. Racine, up until Ford Field was built, the Lions could have been the Pontiac Lions, and the Pistons might can still be the Auburn Hills Pistons (neither of those places, by the way, is nowhere NEAR Detroit proper--they're a good hour and a half away, in the middle of a damn FOREST), the Tampa Bay Dev--you know what...I ain't even going there...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Bill Would Ban Teams Playing In N.J. From Using 'New York'

HACKENSACK, N.J. -- Normally it is Jersey fans who gripe that they don't get any respect from pro sports teams that play at the Meadowlands in East Rutherford but have "New York" in their names.

But three New York assemblymen recently sponsored a bill to stop football's Giants and Jets and soccer's Red Bulls from using the Empire State's name or abbreviation because they don't play their home games in New York.

The legislation wasn't started here, but it seems to have some supporters in the Garden State.

"That bill does sound like a Jersey thing, which is ironic considering that over here we basically seem to have given up on this," George Zoffinger, head of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority told the newspaper. "But I think with all the money we give these teams, they should be called 'New Jersey."'

So far the bill -- co-sponsored by Assemblyman Jeffrey Dinowitz of the Bronx and Felix Ortiz of Brooklyn -- only applies to sports teams.

Officials from the three teams have adamantly said that they aren't going to change their names.

How about this....If a team that is based in New York City and/or New York State has the New York in its team name, then the team MUST be obligated to play in a stadium or arena in New York City and/Or New York State.

Memo to George Zoffinger, Governor Corzine, Governor Spitzer, Mayor Bloomberg, Mr. Tisch. Mr. Mara, and Mr. Johnson- I would like to see a Super Bowl or a FInal Four Played in New York City...NOT East Rutherford, New Jersey!!!!

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

Thing is the Giants and Jets don't even have their base of operations in New York...in fact, the most New York thing about the Giants was Tiki Barber, and he's not even on the team anymore.

In execution, it's a bit silly. In context though, it makes sense.

Last time I checked the Jets headquarters and practice facility are at Hofstra University in Uniondale, Long Island, New York.

heh, East Rutherford's part of the NYC metro area, am I right? unless that's changed in the last 24, gitlin put it best: this is stupid.

Neither the Cowboys (Irving, and in a few years Arlington) nor FC Dallas (Frisco) play in Dallas proper, the Redskins don't play in DC anymore (though rumor has it Danny boy's eyeing a new DC stadium...man, didn't the Skins just get a new stadium? I tell ya, they don't make em like they used to), the Pistons don't play in Detroit, the Chicago Wolves play in Rosemont, the Senators don't play in Ottawa, the University of Miami is in Coral Gables, and then a fitting example from a favorite childhood book of many folks (strangely enough, I've never read the book, nor have I ever seen the movie)...if this is Camp Greenlake, where's the lake? :D

Yea, I never get why some people make such a big deal out of this. The team's play in the city metro area, so they might as well call themselves that. Technically I don't live in Baltimore, but I tell everyone I do when I'm out of town. I don't see how that's any different for a sports team.

(P.S. I heard the same think on a DC Radio station about Daniel Snyder wanting to build a new stadium. It was just a rumor some caller brought up, but the host thought it could be legimate. Danny may be embarrased that he owns the only DC team that doesn't play in DC.)

Thing is the Giants and Jets don't even have their base of operations in New York...in fact, the most New York thing about the Giants was Tiki Barber, and he's not even on the team anymore.

In execution, it's a bit silly. In context though, it makes sense.

Last time I checked the Jets headquarters and practice facility are at Hofstra University in Uniondale, Long Island, New York.

I believe they are moving them to Florham Park, NJ which is right in the middle of New Jersey.

Memo to George Zoffinger, Governor Corzine, Governor Spitzer, Mayor Bloomberg, Mr. Tisch. Mr. Mara, and Mr. Johnson- I would like to see a Super Bowl or a FInal Four Played in New York City...NOT East Rutherford, New Jersey!!!!

Good luck getting that to happen... what with the NCAA holding the NIT Finals at MSG every season, just days before the NCAA Tournament's Final Four. New York City has its college basketball final every year; that it plays second fiddle to the Big Dance in our times is an unfortunate fact.

(Discrimihater @ Sunday, April 29th, 2007 - 02:42:45)

the Senators don't play in Ottawa

(willmorris @ Sunday, April 29th, 2007 - 14:44:47)

Point of order, ScotiaBank Arena is in Ottawa proper.

Actually, no it isn't. At least, its snail mail address isn't in Ottawa proper, but in nearby Kanata.

Kanata was merged in the amalgamation of cities into the City of Ottawa in 2001.

2 guys from South Jersey 1, Viper 0. War South Jersey!

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I think everyone has pretty much missed the boat on this one....I think the question is thus:

If a teams stadium is in a burb and that burb is in ANOTHER state is that burb a part of that metro area or the state it is in?

Its pretty much an unanswerable question.

Its pretty much up to the funders, ie the people, that need to sort it out legally through the channels of the people, ie politicians (....which is kinda too bad.)

On a similar note: I think SC cannot be the home of the SF 49ers, but someone else does (SC is a burb of SJ, but the whole thing is one giant metro [the bay area] with 3 big cities)...Golden State 49ers?

It's a sad day when politicians have nothing to do but bicker about the names of sports teams.

IMO, who cares? It should be the teams decision what they want to call themselves.

And yes, they have the right to call themselves the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim (as retarded as that sounds).

Even though I wouldn't exactly be thrilled that this is what my tax dollars were being spent on if I still lived in NYC, I'm glad someone is sayin' SOMETHING about this. The Giants and Jets have both committed themselves to New Jersey for 99 years, there's absolutley no reason why they should still be able to call themselves "New York."

yea... yea... yea... the Jets tried to move to Manhattan... whatever... whatever. Maybe I missed the memo that said NYC ended at 110th St in the City. I seriously doubt that if the Jets agreed to foot the bill that they couldn't have found SOMEWHERE in one of the other burroughs or Long Island to build a stadium.

The Giants, on the other hand, have no connections to the city or state of New York. They've played and been headquartered in Jersey for over 30 years. It makes absolutley no sense for them to still consider themselves a New York team.

I'd actually like to see a policy like the USFL's be adopted by all the sports leagues. Maybe not being able to affiliate their teams with a major city would make a few owners want to pay for their own stadium in the city rather than running out to some crappy suburb like Auburn Hills or Landover.

I think everyone has pretty much missed the boat on this one....I think the question is thus:

If a teams stadium is in a burb and that burb is in ANOTHER state is that burb a part of that metro area or the state it is in?

Its pretty much an unanswerable question.

Its pretty much up to the funders, ie the people, that need to sort it out legally through the channels of the people, ie politicians (....which is kinda too bad.)

On a similar note: I think SC cannot be the home of the SF 49ers, but someone else does (SC is a burb of SJ, but the whole thing is one giant metro [the bay area] with 3 big cities)...Golden State 49ers?

They could call themselves the San Francisco Bay 49ers. It would still retain their San Fran identity while encompassing the entire metro area... which could win them a few extra fans if Al Davis actually goes through with one of his threats to move back to LA.

Bill Would Ban Teams Playing In N.J. From Using 'New York'

HACKENSACK, N.J. -- Normally it is Jersey fans who gripe that they don't get any respect from pro sports teams that play at the Meadowlands in East Rutherford but have "New York" in their names.

But three New York assemblymen recently sponsored a bill to stop football's Giants and Jets and soccer's Red Bulls from using the Empire State's name or abbreviation because they don't play their home games in New York.

The legislation wasn't started here, but it seems to have some supporters in the Garden State.

"That bill does sound like a Jersey thing, which is ironic considering that over here we basically seem to have given up on this," George Zoffinger, head of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority told the newspaper. "But I think with all the money we give these teams, they should be called 'New Jersey."'

So far the bill -- co-sponsored by Assemblyman Jeffrey Dinowitz of the Bronx and Felix Ortiz of Brooklyn -- only applies to sports teams.

Officials from the three teams have adamantly said that they aren't going to change their names.

Are these the same assemblymen who voted down public funding for stadia in New York State that would allow said teams to play within the state's boundaries?

And why should the public have to pay for a stadium the would only benefit the billionaire onwers of the teams who could easily afford to build it themselves?

I hope they lose the right to call themselves "New York." Serves them right for being such greedy bastards.

My first question is when the Giants first moved to NJ, was this brought up? At that point it should have been addressed AND resolved. Is it a fact that it was "OK then, but not OK" now? I'm not totally familiar with the original move by the Giants. It is odd that now NY is doing the complaining, when they moved OUT OF STATE in the first place and were happy to still be "NY". So, there was happiness that the teams got to keep NY as a name at first, but now they want it changed. Obviously, I know different political people are involved. THAT is what makes this stupid.

Aside from all of the political nonsense, it is an odd situation. The teams play in a different state. I understand that it's a whole metro area in general. But, at the same time... it is a different state.

Example: If the Bengals and Reds built their stadiums across the river in Kentucky... they would have "moved to Kentucky" and would be known as the Kentucky Reds and Kentucky Bengals.

You have (had) the NO/OKC Hornets... they played in two states. It was aknowledged. Is this different becasue Texas and Arkansas border Louisiana and not Oklahoma?

Archived