Sources: Pats agree to trade for Raiders WR Moss

nyk

Sources: Moss trade to Pats has open issues remaining

The New England Patriots have reached a trade agreement in principle to acquire wide receiver Randy Moss from the Oakland Raiders for a fourth-round round choice in Sunday's second day of the NFL draft.

There are still details to be completed, including Moss passing a physical examination by the Patriots' medical staff, but league sources said they expect the deal to be competed. As part of a trade, Moss would restructure and perhaps even extend his current contract, which calls for base salaries of $9.75 million in 2007 and $11.25 million in 2008.

Oakland and New England officials conducted on and off negotiations for the last several days. The Raiders, who acquired Moss from Minnesota in 2005, have been shopping the wide receiver much of the offseason.

Moss, 30, has not participated in any of the offseason conditioning sessions conducted by first-year head coach Lane Kiffin and the suspicion is that he would not show up for the start of training camp.

Acquiring the once-explosive Moss would perhaps be the defining moment of an offseason in which New England coach Bill Belichick and personnel chief Scott Pioli have worked to dramatically upgrade the team's receiving corps. New England added former Miami wideout Wes Welker in a trade and signed unrestricted free agents Donte Stallworth (Philadelphia) and Kelley Washington (Cincinnati).

In nine seasons, Moss has 676 receptions for 10,700 yards and 101 touchdowns. He is coming off a 2006 season in which he played in 11 games and registered 42 catches for 553 yards and three touchdowns, career lows in all those categories.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

I hope somebody beats the Pats this year at least once, because they already won the damn Super Bowl they just cant go unbeaten.

With that logic, shouldn't the Redskins win the Super Bowl every year?

Anyway, no, I am not ready to concede the championship to the Pats. Randy Moss didn't do jack in Oakland, and he's not exactly a young 'un anymore.

espnsig.gif

This will be fun to watch.

Andy Reid couldn't keep TO in check; I want to see Bill Belicheck try to make Randy Moss play hard every down AND keep him satisfied statistically in a system that is predicated on no WR/RB getting a disproportionate share of touches.

Good luck with that...

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

This will be fun to watch.

Andy Reid couldn't keep TO in check; I want to see Bill Belicheck try to make Randy Moss play hard every down AND keep him satisfied statistically in a system that is predicated on no WR/RB getting a disproportionate share of touches.

Good luck with that...

Agreed.

People point to Corey Dillon as to how the Patriots can "cure" malcontents. The only problem with this is that Corey Dillon wasn't a malcontent because he was a bad guy, but rather he was tired of playing on a team that stunk as bad as the Bengals. Of course, someone who wants to play for a winner will play better when he plays for a winner. However, Moss was taking plays off when the Vikings were going 15-1, so it isn't as though Moss is just moping because he's playing for a team full of losers...

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

As a Pats fan, I'm not sure how I feel about this. My initial instinct is to be overjoyed because they got a genuine #1 receiver for a 4th round draft pick...the value there is phenomenal. But, as many of you have pointed out, Moss isn't exactly the best rolemodel. His attitude is certainly an issue, and will be the Belichick era's biggest challenge in terms of shaping a player up to play Patriots-Style football.

I hope somebody beats the Pats this year at least once, because they already won the damn Super Bowl they just cant go unbeaten.

and having Randy Moss means they will?

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

and having Randy Moss means they will?

Yeah that might be a slight overreaction Tank...chemistry is more important than overall talent.

This will make the New York Jets winning the AFC East this season a little sweeter

You Jets fans have become irrational after all these years of losing, poor guys.

As for the trade, I've been against it since the first time I heard it. Moss is (or was) a deep threat and Brady can't throw the ball deep, I sense trouble. Although for a 4th round pick, I don't see much wrong with this trade. If it doesn't work out than it doesn't work out, all we lost was a measly 4th rounder. So much for the "if we don't get a first round pick we aren't trading him" mentality by the Raiders huh?

Let's not forget that Randy Moss won't have to be a leader in New England. I think part of the problem in Minnesota and Oakland was that he was expected to be an leader, a role that he clearly isn't fit to take part in. With guys like Brady and Bruschi already in place as leaders, Moss can just go out and play and not have to worry about trying to be something he isn't.

I think this could develop into something akin to Dennis Rodman with the Bulls, where Rodman laid it all out come game time and once the final horn sounded he was more or less free to do his thing. If that were to happen, I think the Patriots would come out with a great deal here. I'm not sure if the move necessarily puts them over the top, but it certainly puts them very close.

#CHOMPCHOMPCHOMP

I think this a great move by the Pats! As other said the risk is high, yet they only gave up a 4th rounder. the upside of the deal is worth the risk. I've been wanting the Pats to get either Moss or Owens for quite some time, though their attitudes are great, they are top calibre recievers.

untitled-6.jpg

I think this a great move by the Pats! As other said the risk is high, yet they only gave up a 4th rounder. the upside of the deal is worth the risk. I've been wanting the Pats to get either Moss or Owens for quite some time, though their attitudes are great, they are top calibre recievers.

Terrell Owens will never, EVER play a single down in a New England Patriots uniform. As for the risk, what risk? There is no risk, it's a fourth round draft pick that New England really didn't need. If he doesn't work out you send him packing, you still have a solid core of recievers to win a Super Bowl without Moss. If this works out like the Pats hope it will, this could be one of the greatest draft day steals, well.. ever.

As a Pats fan, I'm not sure how I feel about this. My initial instinct is to be overjoyed because they got a genuine #1 receiver for a 4th round draft pick...the value there is phenomenal. But, as many of you have pointed out, Moss isn't exactly the best rolemodel. His attitude is certainly an issue, and will be the Belichick era's biggest challenge in terms of shaping a player up to play Patriots-Style football.

As a fourth pick, though, if he acts up they can just cut his @$$, with no second thoughts.

A Patriots vs. Chargers AFC Championship game will be one hell of a game if it happens.

So will Pats-Colts :D

As good as the AFCCG was last year...I will shoot myself if the Pats and Colts play in the AFCCG one more 'gain.

Who's the bigger headcase? Corey Dillon then? Or Randy Moss now? I didn't think the first move would work, but, apparently, Belichik is a miracle worker. And a hobo.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Throw Moss in a room with Mike Vrabel, Richard Seymour and Tedi Bruschi. Have them say tell Moss how the team is run.

Moss should cooperate.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived