Josh Hancock dies in auto accident

floydnimrod

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I take baseball so seriously. More than just a game. I feel like I'm party of the whole Cardinals and lost one of my own even if I've never met him.

That's a little disturbing. I'm glad you're sympathetic to the loss of human life. I am too. But I also hope you find some perspective regarding proper distance between fans and athletes/teams.

I take baseball so seriously. More than just a game. I feel like I'm party of the whole Cardinals and lost one of my own even if I've never met him.

That's a little disturbing. I'm glad you're sympathetic to the loss of human life. I am too. But I also hope you find some perspective regarding proper distance between fans and athletes/teams.

Please don't be disturbed or worried about me. There's a lot of people who will tell me that it's "just a game."

And that's fine.

But I don't have to subscribe.

It's something that brings me closer to my family. Something that brings me closer to my friends. Something that brings me closer to complete strangers. And yes, closer to athlete's I've never met.

Your idea of proper distance is meaningless to me.

We're St. Louisans, we're Cardinals, and now we've lost one of them. And I'm mourning.

Rest in peace Josh Hancock.

We're St. Louisans, we're Cardinals, and now we've lost one of them. And I'm mourning.

You are not a Cardinal. You're a Cardinal fan. There's a big difference. You have no World Series ring, and they won't mourn your death when you pass.

And to address a larger audience, we are not all Hokies. We all just sympathize for the victims of the Va. Tech tragedy and their families.

But yes--rest in peace, Josh Hancock. And the victims of the Va. Tech shootings.

You are not a Cardinal. You're a Cardinal fan.

No sir.

I am a Cardinal.

But I won't partake in this discussion here anymore.

If you're a Cardinal, then what are you doing in the Midwest? Shouldn't you be at the Vatican?

Unless you're part of the orgiansation don't call yourself part of the "team" I hate it when a fan uses "we" when discussing his/her team.

I have to wonder whether Josh was wearing a seatbelt or was snoozing behind the wheel, which is almost like drunk driving in some ways.

I saw, I came, I left.

No sir.

I am a Cardinal.

By your logic, that makes me an Eagle, a Phillie, a Sixer, a Flyer, a (member of the) Soul, a Wing, a Phantom, a Crow, and a Rabbitoh.

By combining both your logic and mine, I should be a billionaire.

Alas, I'm not.

So I think one of our streams is wrong.

A cookie to the guy who guesses which one.

philly.png

No sir.

I am a Cardinal.

But I won't partake in this discussion here anymore.

With ya on this, Fanatic. I've been a die-hard Cardinals fan my entire life. I've been raised going to games every year with my family. Cardinals baseball is a special bond that my father, I, and my brothers, and really every person in my family, shares. Cardinals' red runs through my veins.

From Gene Wojciechowski's article on espn.com:

By late Sunday morning and early afternoon, baseball's most supportive fans began dropping off the flowers and handwritten notes at Gate 3, just beyond the statue of Cardinals legend Stan Musial. Then again, Cardinals fans, and the team they adore, have had much too much practice with grieving.

It's been commonly said that St. Louis is the best Baseball Town in America, and has the best fans (I feel honored by that, but will stop short of saying that we DO have the best. I feel all teams are strongly supported by their fans.) All Cardinals fans share a common bond, even if we've never met, that ties us to the team.

Don't poison this thread with you synical views on how fans feel about their teams. If you feel a certain way about this, start another topic. This one is for the Memory of Joshua Morgan Hancock. Let's keep it that way.

If you're a Cardinals fan, your a Cardinal. Any player or person in the organization would be the first to tell you that. And as a whole, we are mourning the loss of one of our own. This is a thread to honor and show your respect for the loss of a life. Refrain from the antagonistic BS. Show some Respect.

(Plus, as an employee of DNC SportService at Hammons Field, home of the Springfield Cardinals, and actually have helped out, and may still be considered an employee at DNC SportService at Busch Stadium, a collective 15 weeks of working there over the last two playoffs as well as the Opening of the New Busch Stadium, I can ACTUALLY be considered part of the Cardinals organization. But it's more than that that makes me a Cardinal. It's the love for the team and baseball that joins all of us. It's the same for you and your favorite team. Don't tell yourself otherwise.)

I have to wonder whether Josh was wearing a seatbelt or was snoozing behind the wheel, which is almost like drunk driving in some ways.

While Mr. Hancock's death is both tragic and shocking, I think we all have a pretty good idea that he was under the influence of something. Either he was half asleep or drunk. I've heard reports that he was drinking at Mike Shannon's Restaurant and refused a request to get him a cab. Who knows about the validity of said reports, but you don't plow full speed into the back of a parked tow truck when you are of full mental capacity.

May he rest in peace, and may we all take note of this tragic reminder to not drink and drive.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

At the risk of sounding crass and opportunistic, this could be a good thing for the Brewers in their series against St. Louis. At times, the Cardinals didn't look like they had their minds on the game last night, and it showed in their play.

That being said, I don't have any idea of what the bereaved are going through, as nobody close to me has died since I was 10. But I wish everybody involved (family, friends, teammates, Cardinal Nation) my condolences nonetheless. It's gotta be tough for the Cardinals to get psyched up to play with this hanging over their heads.

QPR%20Sig.png

While Mr. Hancock's death is both tragic and shocking, I think we all have a pretty good idea that he was under the influence of something. Either he was half asleep or drunk. I've heard reports that he was drinking at Mike Shannon's Restaurant and refused a request to get him a cab. Who knows about the validity of said reports, but you don't plow full speed into the back of a parked tow truck when you are of full mental capacity.

May he rest in peace, and may we all take note of this tragic reminder to not drink and drive.

It's looking increasingly clear that he was drinking a good bit earlier in the night at least, which makes it increasingly more likely that's going to turn out to be a or the contributing factor.

Lots of stuff is starting to come out, and not in the best way either. This could be a mess.

But rather than go into all right now, I'll wait for the official reports (police, toxicology), and I understand news sources will and probably should report this stuff once they get it, but I sure wish it could wait until after his family, friends, and teammates lay him to rest on Thursday, for their sake if nothing else.

If you want to see what's happening though, the Post-Dispatches website, stltoday.com, is probably the best source.

I don't let mistakes change my opinion of people, and it certainly won't make a 29 year old who was in the prime of his life losing that life less of a tragedy. I'm not looking for an argument with that, I can understand some may disagree. But I think we can at least agree it's no less of a tragedy for his family, friends, and teammates.

Rest in peace, Josh, and I continue to pray for all those involved.

This quote from a Post-Dispatch article has really gotten to me, and shows that when it comes to the grieving, the circumstances don't matter.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...A0?OpenDocument

Randy Flores tried to talk but had difficulty.

"I miss my buddy; I miss my teammate," Flores said.

Maybe people would give you less of a hard time about being such a St. Louis homer if you didn't go over the top like this. "I am a Cardinal"? You're in mourning? And, once again, a St. Louis athlete drives drunk and you seem to be willing to overlook that.

When people die, it's sad. I get that. And when they play for the teams that you like, it's an extra bummer. But you seem to take issue with the St. Louis superfan caricature that people like to portray you as. Well? Don't you see how reactions like this might fit into that?

I'm trying to think if I would ever have a reaction like this, and I can't see that I would. I've been taken aback by the deaths of people I admire -- most recently, Kurt Vonnegut. I feel bad that a person's talents are no longer with us and I feel for their families. But I certainly don't go into any sort of grieving process. I'm part fascinated and part weirded out by this sort of reaction to the death of a player. I don't get it.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Tim Hudson of the Braves is wearing JH on the upper left side on the front of his jersey. Apparently they were roomates in auburn.

That was really classy, and it was great of MLB to allow that. Again, that's so unlike the NFL which will fine you for uniform violations if you do anything remotely similar.

Rest in peace, Mr. Hancock.

Let this be a lesson for all of you who drive while somewhat intoxicated.

It's sad to see a young man with a life many would love to have meet his end. But he did make the wrong decision and drive himself home.

Goes to show you that anything can happen to anyone at anytime. If you are careful you can do your best to avoid situations like this.

I feel for his family more than I feel for him. But it's sad nonetheless.

Maybe people would give you less of a hard time about being such a St. Louis homer if you didn't go over the top like this. "I am a Cardinal"? You're in mourning? And, once again, a St. Louis athlete drives drunk and you seem to be willing to overlook that.

When people die, it's sad. I get that. And when they play for the teams that you like, it's an extra bummer. But you seem to take issue with the St. Louis superfan caricature that people like to portray you as. Well? Don't you see how reactions like this might fit into that?

I'm trying to think if I would ever have a reaction like this, and I can't see that I would. I've been taken aback by the deaths of people I admire -- most recently, Kurt Vonnegut. I feel bad that a person's talents are no longer with us and I feel for their families. But I certainly don't go into any sort of grieving process. I'm part fascinated and part weirded out by this sort of reaction to the death of a player. I don't get it.

I'll keep this short because I'm not gonna get into an argument right now.

I don't care at all that people portray me as superfan, gitlin. You're right. reactions like this make me that.

But it's the negative tone that's always expressed in that bothers me. What I take offense to is people telling me I'm unhealthy. There's no basis for that other than I apparently don't think like them. When people dismiss my opinion as homerist everytime without analyzing the situation to see if I've actually got a point, I take offense to that to.

And that's fine that you don't go through a grieving process. I'm not telling you that you should. But I do. I'm really crushed by this. But you an a good amount of others can't simply go "I don't get it, but hey, that's alright, I don't have to get it, instead you feel like you have the right and the wisdom to tell me I'm wrong or unhealthy.

I don't care if you get it. You don't have to get it. Accept it. And stop trying to talk down to me because of it.

As for overlooking the drinking and driving, I feel like you're trying nothing more than to bait me into an argument right there. In doing so you did one of the exact things that I just noted is what I take offense to.

First off, I don't overlook drunk driving period. But if you and others expect me to hate a guy and feel like he got what's coming because he was driving drunk I won't. That's a mistake, and it's a really bad mistake, but one act does not define a person, and rarely if ever does a person deserve death for any mistake.

I believe in forgiveness and second chances to a great degree. I've been over that. Once again, it's something you and others just don't seem to "get." Just accept it already.

Furthermore, while I don't try to downplay the severity of drunk driving, I believe that society has problems in what actions are condemned and what are condoned. The fact of the matter is it's not the alcohol that's dangerous, it's operating a motor vehicle while your attention and/or reflexes are impaired. Falling asleep, using--specifically looking at--a cellphone, a radio, eating, putting makeup on, going 20+ mph over the speed limit; all of these things can make a person just a dangerous by impairing them while operating a vehicle. Many times just as dangerous as certain levels of intoxication. Obviously the level of alcohol as well as varies degress of those other factors changes just how dangerous. But society has decided that people who drink and drive deserve hatred and condemnation while people who do those other risky behaviors...eh...whatever, common practice. And that's ridiculous. They're all incredibly dangerous and stupid things to do when behind the wheel. And anyone who does them, certainly once they reach a certain degree, is making a big mistake.

But I'll forgive that mistake, because I believe it's the right thing to do.

Now the thing that I mention offends me is that you implied I only overlook these things because of his St. Louis affiliation. That's simply not true. I don't condemn anyone. I forgive people. And if you won't believe that, there's simply nothing I can do about it. But that's your problem and not mine.

I'll call people who make the mistakes dumb. I'll say they've gotta changed, they've gotta learn. But I'll give them a chance to do so.

Josh Hancock died making his mistake. He doesn't get another chance. That's a tragedy.

I already said way more than I wanted to right now, so congrats, some of that baitlike wording worked.

May Josh Hancock rest in peace, and may God bless his family, friends, and teammates.

Archived