New Rangers Jersey: Need Player for it

SouthSidePride

thats right, big Sean Avery

mark my words his number will be hanging from the rafters of the Garden after he leads the Rangers to 3 consecutive cups.

when you think NY Rangers, the first person you think of, the man who epitomizes the spirit and history of the franchise is the big A.

/ ok not really. why not go for James Patrick? most underrated d-man ever. of course i'm a sabres fan so I'm partial

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thats right, big Sean Avery

mark my words his number will be hanging from the rafters of the Garden after he leads the Rangers to 3 consecutive cups.

when you think NY Rangers, the first person you think of, the man who epitomizes the spirit and history of the franchise is the big A.

/ ok not really. why not go for James Patrick? most underrated d-man ever. of course i'm a sabres fan so I'm partial

As a Kings fan, let me put out this warning to all the Ranger fans, Avery will screw you at the worst possible moment. Maybe not this year, maybe not next year, but he is a cancer. He's playing nice for now, but you'll curse the day you acquired him.

The blue version? I have to ask. Is it a v-neck or a tie-neck?

Tie Neck, Wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't.

The Tie Neck wasn't introduced until the 1997-98 season, so that eliminates the 1994 Stanley Cup Finals patch and many of that roster.

Players that were on the 97-98 team include;

#99 Gretzky

#16 LaFontaine

#27 Kovalev

#2 Leetch

#9 Graves

#35 Richter

Later seasons included;

#11 Messier

#68 Jagr

#82 Straka

#14 Shanahan

Of all those, I'd be most likely to go with Gretzky or Messier, leaning towards Messier since he was there for the Stanley Cup win in 94 making him more of a Ranger to me, while Gretz is more of an Oiler or perhaps even a King. Still, he's The Great One and you can't go wrong with him.

Leetch is also a safe bet to have his number retired by the Rangers some day and was involved in not only the 94 Cup team, but also the USA 1996 World Cup victory.

Also a member of both the 94 Cup team and the 96 World Cup team is Richter, who is also one of the most popular Rangers ever.

The 96 Cup team also included Pat LaFontaine, not exactly a "A" list choice with the other four, but an American, a very popular and respected player and perhaps bonus points for not being an obvious choice like the others are.

I tend to think of Graves as being a bit like Neely is to the Rangers. Not so much in playing style, but a very popular player with the New York fanbase and a member of the 1994 Cup team.

Now I'm a patch fanatic, so I'd be looking to players from 99-00 (NHL 2000 patch) or 00-01 (Rangers 75th Anniversary). Since all the teams wore the NHL 2000 patch, it's a bit generic. Since the Rangers Anniversary patch is unique to them, I'd go with that one, which means players such as Messier, Leetch, Graves or Richter all qualify.

I guess that means I go with Messier since you also get to add that iconic drop shadowed, italic captian's "C". Can't beat that, plus that jersey will have some resale value some day down the road. You did state that Richter was your favorite of the obvious and I'd totally support that too.

Send it to http://www.exclusivepro.com/

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Beukeboom might not be the best Ranger of all time, but he certainly has a great name and was a beloved player that will make a fine jersey. Kudos on your choice.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

As a Kings fan, let me put out this warning to all the Ranger fans, Avery will screw you at the worst possible moment. Maybe not this year, maybe not next year, but he is a cancer. He's playing nice for now, but you'll curse the day you acquired him.

Hey resent that comment!

:D

On another note, this is my 500th post!

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

I worked at the Garden at Gerry Cosbys (who made the jerseys at the time) through college and my first day was the opening night after they won the cup (after the strike ended).

If you want an all time fan favorite, it was Beukeboom. Great guy who came into the store all of the time and was always one of the most popular jerseys.

Real fans always bought Beukeboom jerseys. His wife was also smoking hot too if I remember correctly :)

Growing up in Chicago where NHL hockey hasn't been important since '92

There, fixed that for ya. :D

And I say put "Leetch" and a big ol' number 2 on that badboy.

Ha. Hahaha. Hahahahaha. Dude the only time anyone batted an eye at the Wolves was '04 when there was no other option. The Hawks will be back soon, mark my words.....

Anyway, whatever you do DON'T get Sean Avery, I will drive out to your home and slap you if you do.

I'd say if you're goin vintage, maybe Graves or Leetch.

Current team, I'd go Prucha or Ortmeyer.

The reason I suggested Tony Amonte is because people forgot he was a Ranger before he made his name in Chicago. Beukeboom is a good choice though.

As for numbering places Exclusive Pro Sports is the way to go and I think they're in suburban Chicago.

How did I miss posting on this thread? Gotta say, I agree with the Beukeboom choice. After all, I got mine in 1996 straight from Gerry Cosby's at the Garden. Every time I go to a game there, people give the old "Booooooooooooook" yell.

jeff.jpg

The first game worn jersey I collected was from an old family friend , Pat Hickey. It was a 2000 old timers game jersey from New York, (a pro player pro style with fight strap and NHL 2000 patch Rangers White) Its a home white and I love it. It started me on a collecting binge that has resulted in over 300 jerseys.

Going with Pat's 16 could work out, from this year you've got Avery, and you've also got two of my favorite all time players, Lafontaine, and Marcel Dionne.

16 works!

Take care,

gordie

While i think of it you could get the first 88 in the league Ken Hodge ( when he got traded to the NYR) or 00 John Davidson, both very unique numbers.

Archived