NFL Huddles

neo_prankster

I just realized - if they had done this for baseball, the Brewers' toy could have been Brewmeister Smith!

brew5.jpg

So many missed opportunities....

I could crush your head, like a nut. But I won't, because I need you!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't have the sheets, but I had the wallpaper of these all over one wall of my room... didn't even really know what the NFL was when I got it, so my first understand of all the teams in the league came from looking at that wallpaper... needless to say, it didn't help to explain what a charger was...

still have my stuffed patriots huddle sitting on top of my tv, hopefully imparting positive vibes towards the pats....

Anybody remember these NFL Huddles mascots?

.......and a little nod to the Air Coryell era

bolts_huddles.jpg

Ah, yes the charger-- one of what my logo buddies and I thought was one of the three "weak" Huddles. But it least it had SOME interpretation (the "Air Coryell" aviator, who really doesn't tie in at all to the concept of a "Charger"), unlike the other two weaklings:

1. Cleveland Browns, and

2. New Orleans Saints

-- both of which were merely football players in team uniforms. Weak interpretation.

HOWEVER, in 1986, while window shopping at a uniform/logo sports store in the newly-opened Riverwalk, we spotted an ALTERNATE Saints huddle design on a plaque. This was clearly a Huddles-- same facial features, same design motif-- however, it was done up as a knight or crusader with gold armor, a breast plate with a big fleur de-lis, and a plumed helmet. Sort of the St. Louis, King of France or St. George interpretation, I guess.

The weird thing is that at Saints game during that time, when they introduced the "live" Huddles mascot, he was called "Sir Saint", but was dressed up in the basic football outfit, not the knight get-up.

It is what it is.

I've actually got 9 of them; my mom found them in her attic when she moved a year ago, so now I have them. I have the Eagle perched on top of the mirror behind my bar. The Cowboy and the Redskin get hung up like voodoo dolls the weeks of the NFC East games.

After the NFL and Tudor Games stopped making them, I'm mad that I didn't buy more when I was younger and had the chance; I still remember seeing a ton of them in one of the stores in the mall that I never got and wish I had now. They're 25 years old but pretty well preserved, and they're going into my kid's room one day. I never had the sheets, but I found my first bed sheets from 1976. They're pre-Huddles, but they're pretty cool - all the old logos and wordmarks. Never mind no Panthers, Jaguars or Texans; the sheets are older than the Bucs and Seahawks! Sadly, so am I...

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Anybody remember these NFL Huddles mascots?

.......and a little nod to the Air Coryell era

bolts_huddles.jpg

Ah, yes the charger-- one of what my logo buddies and I thought was one of the three "weak" Huddles. But it least it had SOME interpretation (the "Air Coryell" aviator, who really doesn't tie in at all to the concept of a "Charger"), unlike the other two weaklings:

1. Cleveland Browns, and

2. New Orleans Saints

-- both of which were merely football players in team uniforms. Weak interpretation.

HOWEVER, in 1986, while window shopping at a uniform/logo sports store in the newly-opened Riverwalk, we spotted an ALTERNATE Saints huddle design on a plaque. This was clearly a Huddles-- same facial features, same design motif-- however, it was done up as a knight or crusader with gold armor, a breast plate with a big fleur de-lis, and a plumed helmet. Sort of the St. Louis, King of France or St. George interpretation, I guess.

The weird thing is that at Saints game during that time, when they introduced the "live" Huddles mascot, he was called "Sir Saint", but was dressed up in the basic football outfit, not the knight get-up.

I actually remember that knight Saints Huddle. I remember I had some Huddles trading cards and that was the saints entry. Never saw that version again, it was always the basic footballer after that.

I remember that the "GIANTS" one was holding a "small' football.

There is a pic of the Giant huddle on the very first post on this subject....

Looks to me like the Giants huddle is holding a club with metal studs on the end, classic Giant weapon back in the day. Or maybe it's a Turkey Leg for dinner

I remember that the "GIANTS" one was holding a "small' football.

There is a pic of the Giant huddle on the very first post on this subject....

Looks to me like the Giants huddle is holding a club with metal studs on the end, classic Giant weapon back in the day. Or maybe it's a Turkey Leg for dinner

And some nasty birkenstocks. WTF?

I actually remember that knight Saints Huddle. I remember I had some Huddles trading cards and that was the saints entry. Never saw that version again, it was always the basic footballer after that.

Leeds, good to have some confirmation, and to know my memory is not shot. Thanks. I wonder why they changed it?

I'd love it if someone could post an example of the "Saint as Knight" interpretation.... Anyone?

It is what it is.

You ever click on a thread and do a double-take 'cause you assumed you knew what it was about but it was something totally different? I saw this thread title and thought this:

HuddleUp-1.jpg

Um, not. :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Great thread about the huddles...

I had all of the huddles except the bengals... for some reason I could not find it!! I even went to the football HOF to look for them (an 8-hour ride from the NYC metro area!!)

they are neatly packed in my folks basement!! as a football giant fan I hated the giant huddle.. if you remember they all had names.. the giant was "JOLLY GIANT"... ugghhh!!!

I am also a giant season ticket holder and DO remember the huddle walking around the endzone for a few games in the mid-80's... I remember how it pissed my dad and grandfather off!!! It was then drilled into my head the New York Football Giants DON'T HAVE CHEERLEADERS OR MASCOTS!!!

great memories!!

Archived