What If? the Mets were not named "Mets"....

B-Rich

I think they made the right choice with Metropolitans.

Not "Metropolitans," just "Mets." :D

The franchise was organized as the New York Metropolitan Baseball Club Inc., in tribute to the American Association New York Metropolitans. Not sure if the corporate structure is still organized as the Metropolitan Baseball Club, but Metropolitans is just fine for the Mets. In fact, with the invention of the Nationals/Nats, I suspect we'll be hearing Metropolitans a bit more often from the sporting press.

Yes, but the name of the Washingon team is the Nationals. The same has never been true of the Mets. It's not like the Knicks.

In fact, other than the one too-cute radio moron who also talks about the "Ice-landers", nobody ever calls them "Metropolitans" in the sporting press or otherwise.

I understand that many people here are pretty adament that they are not the 'Metropolitans', BUT the connection is easy to make. Basically, the word 'Met' is derived from 'Metropolitan'. No one can deny the connection. The first thing that comes to mind is the Metropolitan Museam of Art or 'The Met' as most New Yorkers call it. Therefore its not that much of a problem in my opinion.

I don't mind people calling them the 'Metropolitans' as much as I mind people calling the New York Giants the 'Gints'. That bothers me a whole lot more because its just plain lazy.

Meadowlarks.jpg

I kind of like this, but sadly, in this post-911 age, I wonder if an NY logo featuring a jet would even be accepted.

LT

I think this logo would be awkward and maybe a bit inappropriate for a team in central Pennsylvania.

I kind of like this, but sadly, in this post-911 age, I wonder if an NY logo featuring a jet would even be accepted.

LT

Dude, are you smoking crack rock? There's an entire team in NY called THE JETS!

Thank god they chose the Mets. Those other team names blow. The Meadowlarks? WTF?

I understand that many people here are pretty adament that they are not the 'Metropolitans', BUT the connection is easy to make. Basically, the word 'Met' is derived from 'Metropolitan'. No one can deny the connection. The first thing that comes to mind is the Metropolitan Museam of Art or 'The Met' as most New Yorkers call it. Therefore its not that much of a problem in my opinion.

Yeah, except that "the Met" is an official nickname, used by the Museum itself. Not so with the Mets, which is probably why nobody ever calls them the "Metropolitans" except one self-important sports radio host trying to distinguish his shtick.

Informally, I could care less what people call the club. But there is a very real misconception out there that the full name of the team is "Metropolitans", and that misconception is one of my pet peeves.

But as for the other logo, I don't seriously think that New York has much of a plane phobia, even after 9/11.

In announcing the name of New York's National League expansion team in May of 1961, the team's owner - Joan Payson - revealed that she felt Mets was the best fit because:

* It was closely related to the franchise's corporate name, New York Metropolitan Baseball Club, Inc.

* It historically referenced the Metropolitans baseball club which operated in New York in the 1880s.

* It was descriptive of the New York metropolitan area.

* It was short, thus pleasing to print media copy editors.

* It was accepted by the majority of fans and media members.

Archived