Doan blasted in Canadian Parliament...

Don

Shane Doan is one of the best captains in the NHL, had an investigation into a racial slur and was cleared. So why has this reached PARLIAMENT?? What is the french agenda on this? Why are they attacking someone who is clearly an upstanding citizen in the NHL for something that never even happened and if it did the incident was 17 months ago!? I dont know alot about canadian politics, so maybe someone can explain why they are in such an uproar about it.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Long story short, Doan is being used as a pawn in the Bloc Québécois' game. The Bloc Québécois just wants to stir up animosity between French and English Canadians.

Team Canada hockey is seen as one of the few things French and English Canadians are able to come together and find a common, national connection. If this ideal, that we're all Canadians, spills out of the realm of hockey, then the Bloc Québécois loses its power base. What good is the Bloc if French Canadians identify themselves as Canadians first and Québécois second?

Basically the Bloc Québécois is trying to use Shane Doan as a tool to divide Canadians when it comes to hockey.

The other political parties are supporting the Bloc in a effort to win votes in Québec.

As for Doan himself, he was cleared of all charges. The NHL investigated the issue, and determined he was innocent. So why should he apologize for something he didn't say?

Long story short, Doan is being used as a pawn in the Bloc Québécois' game. The Bloc Québécois just wants to stir up animosity between French and English Canadians.

Team Canada hockey is seen as one of the few things French and English Canadians are able to come together and find a common, national connection. If this ideal, that we're all Canadians, spills out of the realm of hockey, then the Bloc Québécois loses its power base. What good is the Bloc if French Canadians identify themselves as Canadians first and Québécois second?

Basically the Bloc Québécois is trying to use Shane Doan as a tool to divide Canadians when it comes to hockey.

The other political parties are supporting the Bloc in a effort to win votes in Québec.

As for Dian himself, he was cleared of all charges. The NHL investigated the issue, and determined he was innocent. So why should he apologize for something he didn't say?

I don't even know what he alledgedly did or said. Damn Frenchies. :P (Kidding. Just kidding.)

This is such a waste of time. I mean they're debating the captain of team Canada at the World Championships, not the Olympics.... who is really paying attention to the tournament anyways ^_^

I saw, I came, I left.

This is such a waste of time. I mean they're debating the captain of team Canada at the World Championships, not the Olympics.... who is really paying attention to the tournament anyways ^_^

i am actually...but not team canada for once im actually rooting for team usa. im sure if Chris Clark Team USAs captain allegedly uttered a racial slur congress would have nothing to do with it. hell im sure if Carmelo Anthony the captain of team usa basketball allegedly uttered a racial slur congress would stay silent.

so is this more separatist bull :censored: coming from bloc quebecious? do they really want to split off? why would a party in parliament want to create a disconnect between canadians? i think this is interesting but its messed up that such a respectable hockey player has to be caught in the middle of it.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

so is this more separatist bull :censored: coming from bloc quebecious? do they really want to split off? why would a party in parliament want to create a disconnect between canadians? i think this is interesting but its messed up that such a respectable hockey player has to be caught in the middle of it.

Yes they do. A lot.

This will never die in Québec.

Spoiler

New York Rangers. Stanley Cup Champions - 1928, 1933, 1940, 1994. Saskatchewan. Cold. 1905-2022.

i am actually...but not team canada for once im actually rooting for team usa. im sure if Chris Clark Team USAs captain allegedly uttered a racial slur congress would have nothing to do with it. hell im sure if Carmelo Anthony the captain of team usa basketball allegedly uttered a racial slur congress would stay silent.

Yes, the Bloc Québécois' stated goal is the separation of Québec from Canada (but they want us to pay off their national debt, and they want to keep our currency <_< ).

I would agree with you, a party in the national Parliament of Canada shouldn't be trying to wedge Canadians apart. That would be how things would work in a world that makes sense. Instead, a party dedicated to the destruction of the Confederation is allowed to sit in the national Parliament. It's insane.

Their power base comes from getting French Canadians to think of themselves as Québécois first and Canadians second.

When they see Team Canada players and Canadian fans embracing the sport, team, and victory as one people, as Canadians, it must piss them off beyond imagination. So effectively this the Bloc's way of trying to wedge Canadians apart in one of the forums they come together as one people.

its like what i say to the 'south will rise again' cranks every time they pop up, would it be that devistating if canada allowed the BQ to seperate?

First off I doubt the majority of French Canadians want to separate. Not one referendum has ended with a "YES" result.

I do, however, recognize that Québec's culture is a unique one that should be preserved. If the day comes when the majority of Québécois feel their culture can only be preserved with an independent Québec then I would say the time will have come to let the Québécois go their own way, under these conditions:

1) Québec pays off their own foreign debt.

2) Québec develops their own currency.

3) Québec returns to their 1898-1911 borders to keep Canada from being split in two.

canqbc.png

I apologize for the poor quality of the map, it was a rushed job, but it gets the point across.

How about we go with the pre-1535 map? The one with the natives controlling all the settlements? :P

Don't joke, a kid actually suggested this in my political science class.

Actually I would take the land forfeited from Québec in my proposal and give it to the First Nations tribes to set up as a First-Nation controlled province.

I remember when Bloc Quebecious suggested that they should have their own national hockey team like england wales scotland etc in football. every french nhl player who mattered said they wouldnt play for quebec that they are canadian and only canadian, that must burn them up to no end. see i couldnt imagine that say the confederate states of america have their own party in congress nearly 200 years later. i guess the USA just did well to jail anyone loyal to the CSA after the war and try them for treason. no that doesnt keep those redneck :censored:ers from wavin their flags and wearing their hoods, but they surely dont have representation in congress.

its like what i say to the 'south will rise again' cranks every time they pop up, would it be that devistating if canada allowed the BQ to seperate?

First off I doubt the majority of French Canadians want to separate. Not one referendum has ended with a "YES" result.

Don't be so sure... in the last referendum, "YES" got 49.4% of the votes and one would have to assume almost 100% of all English speaking Quebecois (12.9% of Quebec is English) voted "NO"... if this was the case that means a majority of French speaking Quebecois voted "OUI"

But that was twelve years ago and that was at the height of Quebec Nationalism.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

The Bloc starting up this junk comes as no surprise to me. They have a long history of making something out of nothing just to start a controversy.

What does surprise me is the Liberals and NDP who have jumped on board. I always vote for one of these 2 parties, but I'm disgusted that they would be associated with this tripe.

1. Doan was cleared of this allegation. The fact that Layton and Dion are talking about him as if he were guilty just reflects poorly on them, not Doan.

2. Parliament should have no say in the on-ice decisions of Hockey Canada - to think otherwise would be absurd. This makes the Liberals and NDP look like they are wasting time in parliament that could be otherwise spent dealing with real issues.

3. How could anyone say anything bad about Shane Doan? He has a reputation as being one of the nicest guys in hockey.

How about we go with the pre-1535 map? The one with the natives controlling all the settlements? :P

Don't joke, a kid actually suggested this in my political science class.

Actually I would take the land forfeited from Québec in my proposal and give it to the First Nations tribes to set up as a First-Nation controlled province.

Are there enough people up there to make a viable province?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived