Doan blasted in Canadian Parliament...

Don

I had to laugh hard at the argument that because the senate is more diverse than the house of commons, that this excuses the fact its used to reward political flunkies and has no accountability to the public.

What you are saying is: Yeah our senate is ripe with nepitism, favoritism and provides representation without voting or ratification from the public, and yeah its an obscene waste of money with a terrible attendance record, but we have more native Canadians in it than we do in the House of Commons, so its okay!

What this really tells me is, you Canadians don't vote for non-white MPs...which of course is true...many non-white candidates lose, or don't get picked to run, because often they can't win, which is why the Senate looks racially diverse (which it should be), but the House of Commons does not (which is a disgrace).

While it is true that the vast majority of MPs are white you really can't pin that on us, the Canadian voters.

I'll vote for whatever party I think will do the best job running the country. Therefore I'll vote for whoever the candidate of that party is who is running in my riding, regardless of race. I just want to vote for the candidate/party that I think will do the best job. I don't care if they're white, black, Asian, First Nations, French, whatever. Is it my fault, or the fault of the Canadian voters, that most of the candidates are white? No.

Regardless of the country a candidate needs a lot of money to have a shot at getting elected. Yes, it definitely says something unappealing about Canada at some level if minority candidates can't get the funds needed to make a big splash come election time, but don't pin it on us, the average voters. I'd vote for a minority over a white if I felt they were more capable, unfortunately non of the parties that have the power to effect policy have done a very good job of that. So blame them, blame the rich campaign contributers, but don't blame us, the voters. I'm not going to vote for a minority from an obscure party just to say I voted for a minority and give myself a pat on the back. If a minority candidate runs for a party I can identify with in my riding I'd vote for him in a heart beat, just as I would if he were white. I don't base my vote on race, and I doubt very many Canadians do (well maybe Albertans :P).

So, at least as of now, an appointed Senate is the only way to give First Nations, and other minorities, a voice in the national government. If it became an elected body, as you are suggesting, those minorities would lose their voice in government.

Like I said, I agree the Senate needs tweaking, but do I think it should be elected like the HoC or abolished all together? No way.

I am glad you like the tradition though, yeah that big ugly mace they bring into the clown show every day is really nifty, I'll give you that! :)

Cute.

I would never define my Canadian heritage by the "niceties of the Canadian system". That sounds like something the CBC would say, frankly. I am happy you do however, but I wager most Canadians don't. In fact I know they don't...

A 2002 EKOS poll found that only 5% of Canadians could correctly identify Elizabeth II as Canada's Sovereign and Head of State.

The fact Canada clings to the British monarchy is an anachronism, one that will be corrected in time. It's out dated and offensive frankly, to assume Canada's main artery is connected to England. It isn't, and hasn't been for a very long time. I welcome the day the Queen is no longer on the coins and dollar bills and the hopefully even the Governor General will be tossed away like an old shoe.

You do realize that the EKOS poll is very misleading. It does not ask the pivotal question "Do you think we should sever ties with the British Crown?". The EKOS poll you cited simply asked the question "Did you know that the British Monarch is Canada's head of state?".

Once they were reminded that it was, this was what Canadians had to say:

A Ipsos-Reid poll from 2002 showed that 76% of Canadians favoured keeping the Constitutional Monarchy.

An other EKOS poll from 2002 showed that support for the abolition of the monarchy is declining, and that 55% of Canadians felt the monarchy, and other British traditions, helped keep us unique from the United States.

So sorry to burst your bubble, but more then 5% think the monarchy is part of the Canadian identity, a lot more.

How is Canada retaining the British monarch as the head of state dated? It's been reduced to a symbolic role, so it in no way hinders the workings of the democratically elected HoC.

How is it offencive? Like I said the British traditions this country maintains makes up part of the Canadian identity. Now before you mis-quote me again, I said part of. I am well aware that the Canadian identity is made up of more then just British tradition, but you can't deny that said traditions do help distinguish us as a people. We weren't like the Americans, we didn't revolt against the mother country, we slowly forged our own identity while retaining the traditions of Britain. They are now woven into our collective conscience.

I welcome the day the Queen is no longer on the coins and dollar bills and the hopefully even the Governor General will be tossed away like an old shoe.

I suppose you want us to start spelling colour "color", theatre "theater", neighbour "neighbor" and cheque "check".

You've already said we should switch to the American system of government, so what's next on the chopping block of things that distinguish Canadians as a people?

As for the American system, I hope you are aware that it does have its fair share of issues, many more then the Parliamentary system.

You think pork legislation, political lobbying, and greed is a Canadian-only issue? Please. I would say the American system blows away the Parliamentary system in those regards.

Also, an American style system would reduce the role smaller parties play in the federal government. Do you think the NDP could survive in an American-based system? They would be swallowed up by the Liberals in a heartbeat. What about the Green Party? Would they be able to bring their views into the national spotlight in an American system? No chance. An American-style system would, among other issues already covered, lead to the Liberals and Tories gaining the type of political domination the Republicans and Democrats have south of the border.

You keep bringing up that the Senate and Governor General are not held accountable to the public, and since they aren't elected they somehow pose a threat to the power of the democratically elected HoC.

Again, the Senate can only block HoC-passed legislation three times before it's automatically passed into law.

Also, all though the GG does hold the power to veto legislation passed by Parliament, that power has all but been removed over time. If a GG ever vetoed a piece of legislation passed by Parliament he/she would be removed from office faster then Hell could lick a feather (points for the reference).

So excuse me if I fail to see how the monarchy, the Governor General, and the Senate limit democracy in Canada. On one hand we keep the traditions that help make up the Canadian identity, and on the other hand the democratically elected PM and HoC hold the real power, making Canada a de facto democracy.

We have the best of both worlds.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3. How could anyone say anything bad about Shane Doan? He has a reputation as being one of the nicest guys in hockey.

When i was in LA some time ago, me and this guy i know who does independent film and is a rabid hockey fan from upstate New Jersey ran in to him when they Yotes were in town to play the Kings. He probably was one of the nicest guys i've met in a while. I remember asking him what was the biggest difference in playing in Phoenix from Winnipeg and he told me "up there everybody was under the microscope where as in Phoenix players aren't as scrutinized. Most players that has played in both rabid hockey mad cities versus non-traditional cities will tell you that." I remember asking him, "when you were drafted by the Jets did you ever imagine playing in Phoenix?" He goes and i'll try to paraphrase, "man if you told me on draft that that in a few years i'd here in the desert, I would have thought you were crazy. But i do feel for the Jets fans though. Theres nothing easy about losing your team that you are die hard crazy about" or at least something to that effect.

Very true, man has an aw shucks attitude about him, one of the nicest guys you will ever meet, he's one of the few gentlemen in the game or any game for that matter that acts like an average joe and is still shocked that he is in the game or even for that matter a celebrity. Luis Gonzalez was another individual you can say that about. Phoenix home of the nicest athletes(Gonzo still lives here even though he plays for the Dodgers). But I don't think Doan would ever say anything mean about anyone and i'm glad they cleared him of all charges

Archived