Sign in to follow this  
jus2damcrazey219

ESPN is at it again

I saw that one when I went looking, that's not it.

Plus, I would never praise George Will. for anything. ever.

Can't they get off the black/white kick? more nonsense to create more racial division than there needs to be.

Ummm... if there wasn't a racial divide, they couldn't make a story like this. Don't blame the messenger.

ESPN has written an article comparing how how Blacks and Whites feel about Bonds breaking the HR Record, taking steroids, reasoning of why people think the way they do about Bonds putting young against old and more interestingly Black vs. White (like the last post, please no racism).

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2861930

I still refuse to take anything that ESPN pursues in a "journalistic" manner seriously.

This is my opinion...though it doesnt matter on this subject....there was no problem at all when that famous Cardnial....um...Mark someone and Sammy whats his name.. had the chase for 61....the media had a great time with that....even though BOTH were Roiders .....along comes Bonds......with a record that no one thougt would ever be broken....what does he get ?.....constant bashing....his Father was a fine player...his god father is Willie.....um .....Mays....you would be an :censored: too if you ridden night and day by the media....Sosa....remember the corked bat incident?...how many HRs did he hit before getting caught?......I could go on and on but give the man his due........ :therock:

Shh, stop undermining ESPN's scientific polls.

ESPN: The Entertainment and Science Programming Network?

Steve Phillips is a moron, he tired to trade Jose Reyes, while signing Mo Vaughn and trading for Roberto Alomar.

This is my opinion...though it doesnt matter on this subject....there was no problem at all when that famous Cardnial....um...Mark someone and Sammy whats his name.. had the chase for 61....the media had a great time with that....even though BOTH were Roiders .....along comes Bonds......with a record that no one thougt would ever be broken....what does he get ?.....constant bashing....his Father was a fine player...his god father is Willie.....um .....Mays....you would be an :censored: too if you ridden night and day by the media....Sosa....remember the corked bat incident?...how many HRs did he hit before getting caught?......I could go on and on but give the man his due........ :therock:

heres my take on that, mcgwire and sosa happened to reinvigorate interest in the game that summer of 98, right or not thats what happened. now mcgwire is being villified for his own testimony on capitol hill. baseball and the media chose to ignore roids at that time even tho that was prolly the year that roids were at its peak. now that baseball is popular and making money again, oh no we dont want steroids in our game, they cheapen records and blah blah blah. the media and bud selig himself are just walking contradictions of themselves. sometimes one thing is ok, sometimes its not. its not a matter of race, its just about money.

Are they perpetulating a system of justice of jewishprudence ? ---Thank you Don King

Right that was 1998, when did the steroids stuff really hit the fan? 2005?

You can't blame the media for their inability to time travel.

The media gave McGwire a bit of a hard time after that andro stuff came out and now that we're all but sure Big Mac was juiced up he's hearing about it now - see the results of the HOF vote (which is done by the media).

Bonds is villified because of his bad reputation that had developed before the strike. The steroid talk added fuel to the fire. It's not a race issue.

Were you people not alive in 1998? You couldn't see a story about McGwire without hearing "andro" associated. There was most definitely a black cloud hanging over that season.

Were you people not alive in 1998? You couldn't see a story about McGwire without hearing "andro" associated. There was most definitely a black cloud hanging over that season.

And if you were alive back then you'd remember that people were so excited about the chase that most people overlooked that as it was happening. Sure there were a lot of articles about it, but as he (and Sammy) got close to breaking 61, it seemed to me like no one really cared much about the andro and just wanted to see the record broken.

After all that excitement people started to get serious about it.

There's a reason why Sports Illustrated named 1998 as it's greatest year ever in sports and it was because of just the pure fun in watching those two duke it out.

.. or was that a white cloud?

And if you were alive back then you'd remember that people were so excited about the chase that most people overlooked that as it was happening. Sure there were a lot of articles about it, but as he (and Sammy) got close to breaking 61, it seemed to me like no one really cared much about the andro and just wanted to see the record broken.

After all that excitement people started to get serious about it.

There's a reason why Sports Illustrated named 1998 as it's greatest year ever in sports and it was because of just the pure fun in watching those two duke it out.

I don't know if I agree with that. I was 17 in the summer of 98 and probably at the height of my baseball fandom. I went to a couple of MLB games that season (including watching the GOAT 98 Yankees lose to the Anaheim Angels at the Stadium), kept up with box scores every night, and cared more about the sport than I had before or have sense.

Anyway, sports radio was a big part of my life back then as well, and I most definitely remember the andro question popping up. Maybe not throughout the season, but most definitely as the numbers got higher and higher.

By the way, I'm sure my local paper wasn't the only one to do this, but do you remember the home run tracking boxes on the sports pages? For a very large part of the season, the great Greg Vaughn was either neck and neck with Sosa/McGwire, or just a step behind. He ended up lagging FAR behind, and he had 50 HRs. Incredible.

Anyway, sports radio was a big part of my life back then as well, and I most definitely remember the andro question popping up. Maybe not throughout the season, but most definitely as the numbers got higher and higher.

By the way, I'm sure my local paper wasn't the only one to do this, but do you remember the home run tracking boxes on the sports pages? For a very large part of the season, the great Greg Vaughn was either neck and neck with Sosa/McGwire, or just a step behind. He ended up lagging FAR behind, and he had 50 HRs. Incredible.

Oh it was definitely popping up but it didn't dominate the chase nearly as much as steroids with Bonds does.

Along with McGwire, Sosa and Vaughn was Ken Griffey, it was a 4-man chase for a few months - Griffey ended up with what? 56? Still mighty impressive.

Oh it was definitely popping up but it didn't dominate the chase nearly as much as steroids with Bonds does.

Along with McGwire, Sosa and Vaughn was Ken Griffey, it was a 4-man chase for a few months - Griffey ended up with what? 56? Still mighty impressive.

I agree with everything you said here. I'm glad we could reach consensus.

So what's the bigger memory from 1998? The home run chase? Or that special Yankees team? I have a soft spot in my heart for Scott Brosius, Darryl Strawberry, Paul O'Neill and Chili Davis, but I may be in the minority.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/GeorgeW...p;Comments=true

This article is worth reading as it provides a perspective as to why Aaron's accomplishment is more distinguished. Whoever originally posted it, thank you, it was a very good read.

Regarding racism and Bonds, I will say this. Its unfortunate the public wasn't paying attention during McGwire's ascension over Maris. Every serious baseball fan knew something was up that year, and McGwire was caught with nasty substances in his locker. The media swept it away and McGwire was canonized that year.

Bonds is more a victim of timing than race I think. He started steroids the year *after* 1998, and got ?caught? long after McGwire had retired. Had he started earlier and quit sooner, he never would have been caught.

Baseball's abuse of growth hormone became unpalatable as the late 90's came to a close. The post-strike malaise had gone, the Yankees were providing good ratings for the World Series and the inflated offense of that era, now seemed ugly and unnecessary. The ridiculous ?homerun charade? of 1998 seemed pretty hollow and unbalanced by 2001. The patriotic fervor that arose at the end of the 2001 season, also made steroids and corked bats seem downright unwholesome.

Then when the ?feds? jumped on to appear like they were defending our children from dangerous supplements by issuing subpoenas to ballplayers, the circus began. Government indignation at moral behavior is a bit ludicrous and the fact more resources were spent investigating baseball players growing muscles than the crimes over lobbying and earmarking, tells you something about how govermments operate.

When Bonds? outwitted the federal investigation by claming up a chief witness, the ?heat? on Bonds really began in earnest.

To me personally I don?t really care about the steroids. Baseball has a long line of ?cheaters? and in many ways cheating in baseball is practically tradition. I also don?t care less what supplements are banned, because it seems arbitrary to me anyway. While I believe Bonds? abuse of steroids was dangerous (if the ?Shadow? book can be believed, Bonds? steroid usage was off the chart), I believe controlled and responsible use of steroids to enhance athletic performance can be made safe.

All hitters have been ?juiced? in some for or other, in history. Drugs and athletics go back centuries, it?s just that today?s drugs are more effective than ever, and you can generate a lot of bat speed with the right use of steroids and growth hormone.

No, this is not about drugs. This is an issue of character.

Barry Bonds is an unlikable man, and the color of his skin is not the culprit here, it is his personality. He?s not even well liked amongst his peers - he snubbed the player?s union and he?s thumbed his nose at the media. He refuses to cooperate with the government and he demands special treatment from his team and team mates.

Was George Foreman disliked in his bout against Mohammed Ali because of racism? No, it was because back then Foreman was disagreeable and did not care about his public perception. Foreman changed his tune later in life, and used his own charisma to great benefit. Athletes are public figures, the sooner an athlete accepts this and works to ingratiate himself to the public, the sooner they realize just how good for business it is.

Bonds doesn?t do that, he feels he does not need to. He figures his record and his achievements will allow him to be a jerk to everyone else. He?s probably right. I think what this poll tells us perhaps, is that many African-Americans do not follow baseball. Indeed, we know this to be true, because of the facts and concerns presented to us by Rachel Robinson just a few weeks ago, when Jackie was celebrated across the nation.

Those who do not follow baseball do not consider Bonds a big deal and are more eager to see someone new and fresh make headlines. I?d wager if you asked the question across casual to die-hard fans, you?d get a similar split, it?s just that more Euro-Americans like baseball these days. While I think race plays a part, I don?t think this issue is ?dividing? America.

If there is a legitimate angry response to the article on ESPN, it is that it suggests there is a cultural divide in America over Barry Bonds. I don?t think that many people care. Indeed, the fact most people don?t really care is a large part of Barry?s PR problem. He?s unlikable, and so many of us (myself included) are indifferent to his success.

I won?t be upset when he breaks the record, I won?t be celebrating either. As far as I?m concerned Aaron?s accomplishment was greater, simply because of the social injustices he had to face, and yet he still endured and thrived.