ESPN is at it again

Telemundo219

799 Americans can't be wrong.

Actually, if it were a random sample, 799 would provide an amazingly accurate depiction of the American population as a whole. But of course it wasn't scientific.

If it points to anything, I think it's more about the fact that black athletes have been historically more criticized for basically everything than white athletes, which leads to differing reactions about these issues.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyway, sports radio was a big part of my life back then as well, and I most definitely remember the andro question popping up. Maybe not throughout the season, but most definitely as the numbers got higher and higher.

By the way, I'm sure my local paper wasn't the only one to do this, but do you remember the home run tracking boxes on the sports pages? For a very large part of the season, the great Greg Vaughn was either neck and neck with Sosa/McGwire, or just a step behind. He ended up lagging FAR behind, and he had 50 HRs. Incredible.

Oh it was definitely popping up but it didn't dominate the chase nearly as much as steroids with Bonds does.

Along with McGwire, Sosa and Vaughn was Ken Griffey, it was a 4-man chase for a few months - Griffey ended up with what? 56? Still mighty impressive.

I agree with everything you said here. I'm glad we could reach consensus.

So what's the bigger memory from 1998? The home run chase? Or that special Yankees team? I have a soft spot in my heart for Scott Brosius, Darryl Strawberry, Paul O'Neill and Chili Davis, but I may be in the minority.

Yea, I think the steriods were sort of overlooked because people were so excited about the homerun race. It had been a story for the last couple of seasons, but people kept falling short. Then in '98 4 players were chasing after it and two finally beat it. But I definitely remember the McGwire steriod stuff coming out around Augustus, but it didn't seem like it was as big a deal as it should have been.

But I hate hearing about this racist stuff with Bonds. I hated McGwire towards the end of his career, and was happy to see him retire short of 600 (but still mad he pasted Frank Robinson). McGwire was refused from the hall with a very small percentage of the votes (much lower than I expected). Also Hank Aaron is one of Bond's critics also, does that make him racist?

Archived