Buffalo tops NHL Sales List

Fred T. Jane

Congrats to the Sabres on achieving the lofty perch of #1 in merchandising sales. I really like the throwback, and in the beginning, I disliked the "slug", but its growing on me.

With that said, I am a lifelong Wings fan and season ticket holder, and proudly sport the Winged wheel. Maybe this is a foreshadowing of a Sabres-Wings final???

GO WINGS!!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so ****ing tired of hearing about this. Topping NHL sales means jack ****. For Christ's ****ing sake, how many god damned times do I have to see threads about this? Fact: Buffalo & Anaheim were the only teams to bring new jerseys into this season. Which judging by that, one of them would have to sell the most jerseys considering they're NEW!!! It's not like every die hard Flyers fan, or Leafs fan or Redwings fan is going to go out and buy brand new jerseys for their home team. If they're die hard, they probably already have a jersey or five of their team. Without new jerseys, there really isn't any reason to buy a jersey you already have. But as is Buffalo, they'll try anything to spin that their crap logo and wack-tacular uniforms are "good."

What's remarkable to me is that the team that the Sabres knocked off the top of the best-sellers list is Detroit.

The Wings haven't changed anything for years, but the fans still continue to buy their jerseys, hats, etc.

Yeah, color me unimpressed that the merchandise sales of one of only two teams to completely revamp their identity were highest when that team was arguably the best in the league and reverted to a color scheme absolutely beloved by their fans (including retro jersey that don't feature the ugly new logo).

I would love to see how much of the Sabres' sales are driven by the throwback uniforms.

I'm so ****ing tired of hearing about this. Topping NHL sales means jack ****. For Christ's ****ing sake, how many god damned times do I have to see threads about this? Fact: Buffalo & Anaheim were the only teams to bring new jerseys into this season. Which judging by that, one of them would have to sell the most jerseys considering they're NEW!!! It's not like every die hard Flyers fan, or Leafs fan or Redwings fan is going to go out and buy brand new jerseys for their home team. If they're die hard, they probably already have a jersey or five of their team. Without new jerseys, there really isn't any reason to buy a jersey you already have. But as is Buffalo, they'll try anything to spin that their crap logo and wack-tacular uniforms are "good."

What are you so bent out of shape about? The story is from the Sports Business Journal, which as far as I know is not an offical publication of the Sabres. I don't see how Buffalo is trying to spin anything. Plus if you read the article you would see that your theory of teams with new logos sell the most is bunk. The Red Wings, who haven't changed anything in like 5,000 years had the top merchandise sales for the better part of the last decade. Take a prozac and try again.

The ducks will have a new logo next season

A new logo already hugger?

As for San Diego Rams,

The Sabres was on the verge of folding but the NHL decided to move the Sabres unless Buffalo had a new owner within 90 days.

San Diego, Houston, Cleveland, Seattle, and Portland was the posibble location for the Sabres.

That logo is a place holder because they knew the jerseys would change. They will unveil a new logo to add on to the new jerseys.

As for San Diego Rams,

The Sabres was on the verge of folding but the NHL decided to move the Sabres unless Buffalo had a new owner within 90 days.

San Diego, Houston, Cleveland, Seattle, and Portland was the posibble location for the Sabres.

That logo is a place holder because they knew the jerseys would change. They will unveil a new logo to add on to the new jerseys.

I'd believe it but it's the first I've heard of it

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Yeah, color me unimpressed that the merchandise sales of one of only two teams to completely revamp their identity were highest when that team was arguably the best in the league and reverted to a color scheme absolutely beloved by their fans (including retro jersey that don't feature the ugly new logo).

I would love to see how much of the Sabres' sales are driven by the throwback uniforms.

You dont really see a ton of the throwback jerseys around here. If you do they have LaFontaine or Perrault on the back which arent from this season. There is way way more new logo jerseys and merchandise around here.

Magic07.jpg

This study is so full of holes it's laughable. It ought to be melted down into a nice fondue.

Here's some math they left out of the equation:

SABRES + best record in the East + return to traditional colors + exciting brand of hockey that attracts the casual fan + the effect of novelty - inexplicable use of black/red/silver - Goat Head logo = $$$$$$. Despite a :censored: logo, no less; imagine how much better they would've sold with a decent logo... or if they had reverted to the original royal/gold look full-time?

I'll be honest - I intensely dislike the Sabres. It's not the first time I've said it, and I'll admit that it's mostly because of the way they have embarrassed the Flyers with frightening ease and regularity. That said, I have always loved their original unis, and I snapped one up when they announced they were coming back. That's how highly I think of the old colors and the old unis. If they hadn't brought it back, I never would've bought the Buffaslug. So they got me to fork over my cash to a team I dislike, and good for them. I didn't buy any other sweaters this year. And as Cap'n said, fans of teams don't buy new merchandise every year. I'm all set with my Simon Gagne gamer for what I hope is the next decade, given his age and popularity. When he leaves, I may get a new Flyers sweater if I feel like it. But I'm good on gear to support my team; the Sabres sweater was something I always waned and simply had to have.

Don't believe everything you read, people. Statistics and facts can be manipulated any way the writer wishes. Hell, I see it weekly in scientific papers published in journals respected worldwide, so why wouldn't they do it in a puff piece for the league?

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

What's remarkable to me is that the team that the Sabres knocked off the top of the best-sellers list is Detroit.

The Wings haven't changed anything for years, but the fans still continue to buy their jerseys, hats, etc.

What no one seems to be mentioning is that everyone and thier brother knows that the NHL is changing there uniforms next year for every team, so it HAS to be skewing the numbers. A lot of people aren't going to pony up for the high cost of the current jerseys until they see what next years look like.

So if the Red Wings are number one every year, I would say they will probably be number one again next year. People are probably holding off right now.

As for San Diego Rams,

I think that the Ducks new logo will be just the D just like the Angels logo.

HATING LIFE SINCE 1996

The Buffalo brass can thump their chests all they want, the city loves that team and if you put a pile of poo on a jersey and said it was the new logo, they would still be leading the NHL in sales.

Ok the jersey itself, it has grown on me, so i like it now. The can put the orginal sabres logo on the jersey and i would like.

BUT........

THAT DAMN SLUG HAS GOT TO GO.

Ok the jersey itself, it has grown on me, so i like it now. The can put the orginal sabres logo on the jersey and i would like.

BUT........

THAT DAMN SLUG HAS GOT TO GO.

I agree, they even have a navy blue and yellow classic logo on the back of their helmets. I've noticed it last time I watched a sabres game. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic. But ladies and gentleman, the tradition is not completely dead in regards to their current jerseys.

They should clean up that logo a bit, and replace the banana slug with that.

As for San Diego Rams,

I'd believe it but it's the first I've heard of it

Hey, come on now, I told you about this a month ago!! Mind you it was my own assumption but I got it into your mind. :P

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

This seems to be a point that some people here are definitely overlooking. It's not like every new team or team unveiling new uniforms has been on top. So yes, this really says that the public doesn't hate that logo near as much as this message board.

I really don't care either way about the 'slug, but for someone to say that it's not a big deal is pretty much dead wrong.

Okay, fine, the Wings don't change jerseys every year. But that's only half the equation anyways. The other half is winning.

The Wings, as much as I hate it, are Stanley Cup Contenders every year and have been since what? The strike (in '95)? Longer?

Winning does a couple things in regards to design.

1. It makes them sell regardless of how bad they look.

2. It actually starts to convince people that mediocre designs are very good. (Double the effect when winning happens on a long term scale creating "tradition". See Yankees, Cowboys, etc.)

I mean, I HATE that logo. But if I was a Sabres fan, I wouldn't be likely to boycott it. I probably wouldn't buy the jersey, but I don't think I could avoid buying a shirt or something that featured the logo.

I've been lucky that most of my teams have never had bad looks.

The Blues had something of a crazy look from about 1995-1998, but even then it was well designed, plus, I was too young to really care about getting a jersey.

Last season, however, my Illini unvieled bad (not ugly, but poorly designed) football and basketball jerseys. I'll boycott by not buying the jerseys because there are plenty of other ways to support them. But even then, I've been tempted to get one of the football jerseys (because it's poor design as a uniform, not as an individual element). If it was a poorly designed logo, I probably wouldn't be able to stop myself from getting something with the logo on it.

Even the fans that hate the logo have still probably bought a lot of merchandise with it.

Archived