1995-96 Stanley Cup Florida Panthers to Play Exhibition Game

rmackman

Panthers' cup team will hit the ice again

By Steve Gorten

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

SUNRISE -- While images of the 1995-96 Panthers are forever etched into the minds of many fans, those who've forgotten the franchise's glory days or didn't witness them will get a chance to once again see the team skate in late July.

John Vanbiesbrouck, the famed goalie of that Stanley Cup finals team, confirmed Wednesday that the 1995-96 Panthers will play an exhibition at BankAtlantic Center. It's uncertain whether it'll be an intra-squad game or feature current Panthers players, though it's expected to be held in conjunction with a golf tournament.

Full details of the showcase will be released Tuesday, when the organization will make an official announcement at its free barbecue for fans at the arena. Members of the 1995-96 team are expected to attend the barbecue, as well as current players Nathan Horton and Stephen Weiss.

Vanbiesbrouck said he would play in the late July game. "Beezer," who has broadcast this year's NHL playoffs for Versus, said he last took the ice in January 2004 for a benefit game at Ottawa.

"I was horribly out of shape then, so I think I'm going to be out of shape now," he said.

Still, "It was something that sounded pretty cool when I heard about it. They're hoping to reach out to the people who've been fans for a long time and try to reconnect with some of the alum that laid the groundwork a long time ago."

The 1995-'96 team was the first in franchise history to reach the postseason.

The Panthers haven't made the playoffs the past six seasons, tied for the league's longest current hiatus.

BERTUZZI TRADE PICK UPGRADED

The Panthers will be among the teams competing for Anaheim goalie Jean Sebastien-Giguere in free agency, but they wouldn't mind him playing horrible against Detroit in the Western Conference finals.

The draft pick the Panthers acquired from the Red Wings in the February trade of forward Todd Bertuzzi already has upgraded from a conditional third-rounder to a second-rounder because the Red Wings have advanced to the conference finals and Bertuzzi has played in at least two-thirds of the games -- with one goal, three assists in 10 playoff games.

If the Red Wings reach the Stanley Cup finals, regardless of whether they win the title, the pick would become a first-rounder, according to Panthers' Assistant General Manager Randy Sexton.

Steve Gorten can be reached at sgorten@sun-sentinel.com.

rat_ice_large.jpg

beezer.jpg

lg_mellanby_all_01.jpg

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Uwe Krupp

Burn.

:D

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

i remember that run like it was yesterday. I remember florida playing the flyers and i was like,ok, flyers will deal with them. then the panthers took out the flyers. Then the panthers took on the penguins and i knew for sure the pens would destroy them with their all star team. instead the panthers disposed of them too and made it to the SCF. Avs buried them in 4.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

That picture reminds me just how much better the Panthers' red jerseys are than the navy ones, and even better without the stick across them.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived